2016 NFL Playoffs

JWhiz96

If Lynch had run the ball instead of the stupid pass, the Pats would still be chasing their first Super Bowl since 2004 and the league would feel a lot different.

Also, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd have a different president.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Patriots assistants have gone elsewhere and tried to duplicate the model and it's had basically no success. I think Belichick is the key master and Tom Brady was the perfect guy for this situation. If the Browns drafted Tom Brady there's no way he's still in the league. 

I respect "The Patriot Way" while also being irritated by it at the same time. The same goes for the St. Louis Cardinals. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

37 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Nothing stopping other organizations from trying to copy the Patriots model. Playing like a team isn't a hard concept.

I don't disagree with you at all on that point. Honestly I don't know why the rest of the NFL doesnt model themselves after the Patriots. Maybe they have and failed, maybe belicheck is a mad genius, I don't know but what they do works really really well. Even though it's boring I'll be the first to acknowledge its effectiveness.

The thing the Patriots due best is anticipate when to cut a guy, and then do so before they've stayed a year too long. It's brutal and ruthless and most fan bases and front offices are far too sentimental toward aging stars.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Just now, DG_Now said:

The thing the Patriots due best is anticipate when to cut a guy, and then do so before they've stayed a year too long. It's brutal and ruthless and most fan bases and front offices are far too sentimental toward aging stars.

Don't they always draft in much higher volume than anyone else? 

3 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

Honestly I don't know why the rest of the NFL doesnt model themselves after the Patriots.

This is facile. Like, congratulations, you just solved sports: just have everyone do exactly what the Red Wings and Cardinals do! There are literally no other variables!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

21 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

If Lynch had run the ball instead of the stupid pass, the Pats would still be chasing their first Super Bowl since 2004 and the league would feel a lot different.

Also, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd have a different president.

If only...

$10,000? Congratulations, but I could never. I spent a quarter of that for four Copa America series tickets last year, but that was at least three matches and for four people. And I felt sick doing it.

But better to spend your money on experiences than possessions. I hope ATL at least wins!

14 minutes ago, the admiral said:

This is facile. Like, congratulations, you just solved sports: just have everyone do exactly what the Red Wings and Cardinals do! There are literally no other variables!

Duh?

Obviously there's more to it than simply copying what the patriots do but it's certaintly a philosophy that produces results consistently 

44 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Patriots assistants have gone elsewhere and tried to duplicate the model and it's had basically no success. I think Belichick is the key master and Tom Brady was the perfect guy for this situation. If the Browns drafted Tom Brady there's no way he's still in the league. 

I respect "The Patriot Way" while also being irritated by it at the same time. The same goes for the St. Louis Cardinals. 

That's why I can't get on board with him as the clear-cut GOAT.  Not even the Browns, but any mid-pack team; hell any non-Pats team drafts him, it gets a lot easier to count those rings.  I am not trying to diminish it but I do believe that for QBs (and hoops players) circumstances matter.  And in this case, he landed on a franchise that's head-and-shoulders above anyone else right now.  Does it help, in their system to have a good QB?  Of course.  Would they have been as dominant cycling through mediocrity and past-their-prime veterans like the Vikings?  No.  But he could not have landed in a better situation and on some teams, I'm not convinced he wouldn't be Tony Romo.

The "Patriot Way" is a bigger part of the difference than Brady.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

There is a bit of gloating, but local sports guy Michael Holley (who usually is a pretty level-headed individual regarding sports) has a great book entitled Belichick and Brady that I'm reading right now. It really goes in depth regarding the philosophy of the team and the demands that Belichick puts on his players. I'm about halfway through so far and it's great. If you guys can grab it on Amazon for cheap, check it out. Also, Kevin Faulk recently penned an interesting read for The Player's Tribune regarding "the Patriot way." When you factor in everything, it really is a "perfect storm" of elements between Belichick's philosophy, Brady's determination to be the best, and Kraft's willingness to let those two things mesh together.

Faulk says it perfectly in the article; Patriots fans are spoiled and I certainly agree with that. We've been blessed, as a fan base, to witness what we've witnessed so far. I know most people here want to see the Patriots lose (as I stated, completely understandable) but obviously, my allegiance will be with the Patriots during Super Bowl LI. If the Patriots can't win, I just want a good football game. I've always said the best Super Bowl I ever watched, from a good football game perspective, was Super Bowl XLII.

Yes. THAT Super Bowl XLII...

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

1 hour ago, 8BW14 said:

Exactly, the patriots run their franchise like a college football program, plugging in guys that fit the mold the best, not necessarily the most talented players. I have no doubt that their strict adherence to that philosophy and consistency throughout the entire organization are huge parts of their success, but it's their dominance is frustrating

I personally don't fault them for that philosophy. The ultimate goal every year is to win the Super Bowl, and they have found a method of continued success in a era where that shouldn't be possible. I personally respect them for being able to do that. Whether we admit or not, there are 31 other franchises that would gladly trade spots with them and have the prolonged success in the manner that they had for the last decade and a half. 

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

17 hours ago, Brass said:

I'm very lucky to see my favorite football team head to a ninth Super Bowl. I like the Falcons and am hoping for a great matchup. Should be a really great game! Good luck, ATL!

8 hours ago, Brass said:

I try to keep everything in perspective and just enjoy the ride. My dad grew up a diehard Patriots fan in the 1970s and 1980s and did a good job of making me realize that teams can A.) suck really bad and you should enjoy the highs when your team gets there and B.) that it's only sports and it doesn't even matter. I respect most of the people here, too. This is usually a good thread for discussion and I can 100% understand why some people might not like the Patriots. It makes sense.

48 minutes ago, Brass said:

Faulk says it perfectly in the article; Patriots fans are spoiled and I certainly agree with that. We've been blessed, as a fan base, to witness what we've witnessed so far. I know most people here want to see the Patriots lose (as I stated, completely understandable) but obviously, my allegiance will be with the Patriots during Super Bowl LI. If the Patriots can't win, I just want a good football game. I've always said the best Super Bowl I ever watched, from a good football game perspective, was Super Bowl XLII.

Yes. THAT Super Bowl XLII...

You, for better or for worse, have restored my belief that there's a good Patriots fan out there. Now on the other hand... Go Falcons.

ExJworW.png

6 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Don't want to start a crap show, but what are your top 10 reasons?

1. They win way too much

2. Brady, the most annoyingly great athlete of my lifetime

3. Belichick

4. Their division. Forgot winning, theyre never ever even pushed in the AFC East. 2001 is the only time Brady had to go down to the wire to win a division title (winning on the final Sunday of the season)

5. Their system which seemingly makes anyone look good. I mean, man-for-man, Oakland with a healthy Carr probably has a better roster probably than the Pats. Hogan and Edelman will never be confused with Cooper/Crabtree or Jordy Nelson/Davante Adams, yet look what's happening. It's as if gamebreaking talent doesn't matter with New England- just put anyone in and they're great.

6. They make winning boring. They're not exactly winning with pizzazz or flair ala the 49ers of old. They just seemed so robotic and coldly effective.

7. They practically live in the AFC-CG. Since 2001- Only 3 WC games and only twice have they had to play a divisional playoff game on the road.

8. They make the rest of the AFC so hopeless in comparison to the NFC parity. The AFC-CG is basically New England and (Insert Team Here).

9. Their home playoff games are rarely entertaining. Only three of their home playoff wins have been by a touchdown or less.

10. They seem to make the regular season a foregone conclusion, as if 11 or more wins is like death and taxes.

1 minute ago, SabresRule7361 said:

1. They win way too much

2. Brady, the most annoyingly great athlete of my lifetime

3. Belichick

4. Their division. Forgot winning, theyre never ever even pushed in the AFC East. 2001 is the only time Brady had to go down to the wire to win a division title (winning on the final Sunday of the season)

5. Their system which seemingly makes anyone look good. I mean, man-for-man, Oakland with a healthy Carr probably has a better roster probably than the Pats. Hogan and Edelman will never be confused with Cooper/Crabtree or Jordy Nelson/Davante Adams, yet look what's happening. It's as if gamebreaking talent doesn't matter with New England- just put anyone in and they're great.

6. They make winning boring. They're not exactly winning with pizzazz or flair ala the 49ers of old. They just seemed so robotic and coldly effective.

7. They practically live in the AFC-CG. Since 2001- Only 3 WC games and only twice have they had to play a divisional playoff game on the road.

8. They make the rest of the AFC so hopeless in comparison to the NFC parity. The AFC-CG is basically New England and (Insert Team Here).

9. Their home playoff games are rarely entertaining. Only three of their home playoff wins have been by a touchdown or less.

10. They seem to make the regular season a foregone conclusion, as if 11 or more wins is like death and taxes.

As a Patriots fan I have no objections to this list. This is fair. Though of course I enjoy every minute of it being fair.

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I'm about 60% sure McDaniels was a spy sent to Denver to attempt to destroy the Broncos, so.... 

Especially given how quickly he returned to New England. :P

spacer.png

3 hours ago, DG_Now said:

No way, a world without a Carroll Seahawks dynasty is fine with me.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

So yeah, Patriots fan here as well (I know, we're all coming out of the woodwork now lol).  Gotta say that it's very understandable the distaste for the Patriots over the past 15 years.  Boomer Esiason talks weekly to the morning show i listen to, and he mentioned on a few times "It must be boring up there in New England what with winning all the time." It's strange being on this end of the winning. I now understand how Yankee fans of the 2000s, Cowboy fans of the 90s, etc etc feel.  Winning brings contempt and consistent winning gets boring if you're not a fan.

I can say that before 2001, seeing any sort of championship in any sport felt like a foregone conclusion.  I was too young to enjoy the Celtics of the '80s, the Bruins were a blip on the radar, the Sox were cursed, and the Patsies were the laughing stock of the NFL.  When they made it to Super Bowl XXXI against the Packers it was a surreal feeling.  I was so excited to see the local team contend for a championship.  2001 changed EVERYTHING in the sporting world for Boston.  The fact that all 4 sports teams have won at least one championship during this run is nothing short of miraculous and something that will likely never happen again.  But i continue to remember when this corner of the country was a joke to everyone else.  And because of that, I still treat every championship appearance that has happened since as if it's the first time, and quite possibly the last.  You can never know when it will all be over, and be relegated to the annals of history.  I even did so in my earlier paragraph, where teams are confined to a certain timeframe.  The Pats have superseded that notion at this point.  The fact that this is a record breaking Super Bowl appearance for a franchise is still something hard to comprehend.  And as a fan who still remembers, I relish every one of these.

I hope for a great game between the Falcons.  Looks like it'll be a great matchup.  But I said it 15 years ago and I'll continue saying it: Let's Go Pats!!!

Not sure why you guys are bitching about the Patriots winning all of those Super Bowls when it's actually the Eagles who are playing for their 8th straight title in two weeks.  

Seriously stop talking about the Patriots.  It's fake.  Believe me.  The Eagles are going to win it all again.  You're going to love it.  Patriots and Falcons are losers.  Got crushed.

#AlternativeFacts

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

21 hours ago, DG_Now said:

They have every right to be pissed off. The year they deflated the ball they won the Super Bowl. The year Brady was benched, they went 3-1 in the suspension games, 14-2 on the season, and are favorites in the Super Bowl. I totally get why they're angry.

If we all just agree that Brady's the greatest QB, Belichick the greatest coach, and these Pats the NFL's greatest dynasty, could the Pats just go away? The NFL has turned into La Liga.

Are the Pats Barcelona or Real Madrid?

Archived