2016 NFL Playoffs

JWhiz96

Nah, I like it the way it is. If you want to win in OT but you don't receive the ball first, then your defense has step up. The Falcons didn't, so they lost. 

They had had opportunities to make a play, but they didn't. 

This is professional football. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats to @Brass and all the other rational Pats fans out there.  That was one heck of a game. 

What is it though with teams throwing against the Pats when they need a yard?  Even if Freeman/Coleman got stuffed behind the line on that 3rd and 1, they still would've been in FG range.

Oh well, what's done is done.  Now just a couple of months to getting disappointed by the Caps in the second round.

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Nah, I like it the way it is. If you want to win in OT but you don't receive the ball first, then your defense has step up. The Falcons didn't, so they lost. 

They had had opportunities to make a play, but they didn't. 

This is professional football. 

And the reason the other team's defense shouldn't also have to step up is....

If we're going from the premise that overtime is designed to break a tie (i.e. the teams played to an equal outcome in regulation) shouldn't both teams have an equal shot at winning on the field?  And I don't mean in terms of the coin toss.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1 hour ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Honest question- if the Steelers did to the Falcons what happened instead of New England, do you think our reaction would be different?

I fail to see how that's relavent to my point

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The obvious solution to overtime, at least in the playoffs if not the regular season, is just a 4th quarter redux. 15 minute period, and go from there. Only difference would be the lack of a 2-minute warning and that's only because playoff football games can go multiple OT's so a 2-minute warning wouldn't kick in until the 2nd quarter of OT.

It's needlessly complicated to say "the other team gets a chance, unless they give up a touchdown first". No need for that distinction at all. Although, in this case, no sympathy to the Falcons for not getting a chance in OT, because, well, you blew a 25 point lead first. That's entirely on them.

spacer.png

I'm not a fan of the college overtime rules being used in the NFL. I'm ok with it for college... I guess I've gotten used to it there, but it's hard to argue that it isn't really how football should be played. Adding a whole extra quarter would be brutal IMO.

I guess I'd be ok with both teams getting at least one shot on offense, regardless of whether or not a touchdown is scored.

What. A. Game!

Been sitting back, enjoying this ride. The G.O.A.T. does it again!

I do not hide my fandom, as all my Facebook and Twitter friends can attest this morning.

I do feel like I need to get my blood pressure checked, as it is QUITE SALTY in here. Wah, the league sucks because the Patriots always win. Wah, there's no parity anymore. Wah, I'm not watching any more games until Brady and Belichick retire. Wah, wah, wah. The bandwagoning anti-Patriots/Boston fandom is really sad. Sad!

Did any of you stop watching the NBA when the Lakers or Spurs won the Finals every year?

How about the MLB when the Yankees bought their way into a few titles?

What about the perpetual success of the Penguins and Red Wings in the NHL?

No?

I'm old enough to remember the Patriots' 2-14 season. And the other 2-14 season. And the 1-15 season. And the sexist razor-company owner who looked the other way when a female reporter was harassed in the locker room. The threats to move the team to Hartford. And the year they finally made the Super Bowl, only to get blown out by 36. And then to return 10 years later, and get blown out again, because the coach was too busy thinking about his next job.

Between 1960-1985, the team won TWO playoff games. They went 36 years for their first home playoff win. Everyone talks about how the franchise has been good forever, and I remember when they weren't. I remember when the only time I could see their home red jerseys was during the sports segment of the local news, because the team was bad and home games were blacked out.

So I will continue to happily celebrate another championship. And since I'm friendly with quite a few residents of the Atlanta area, I won't do it at the expense of Falcons fans (what's with the Falcons hate anyway?). I don't plan to post anything about the Falcons choking, only about the Patriots' comeback. Atlanta had New England's number in the first half, and for much of the third quarter. The Patriots game plan was to try to run Blount up the middle, to no success. Maybe if they tried a few screens in the first like against Pittsburgh they could have spread out the defense across the line of scrimmage and created holes for Blount and White, and it may have been a closer game by halftime. We'll never know.

But honestly, that was the greatest Super Bowl comeback ever. And it was an overtime Super Bowl. You can't get any more nail biting than that. What a finish! The way many of you talk about it, you'd think the Patriots won 105-0. Get a grip.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

6 hours ago, H11K said:

Im not a fan of the unlimited downs idea. I think that the CFB OT is perfect, and the NFL needs to stop being so stubborn and adopt it.

Sorry, the college rules are horrible. In the days of 55-52 regulation games being 'normal', the CFB OT rules are ridiculous. You're not playing to win, you're just hoping you catch a break. You pick off a pass, get a fumble, maybe the other team throws incomplete, etc. The odds of scoring from 25 yards out in college is meaningless. Start from the 50 if you want to at least 'challenge' teams.

For NFL, I've always liked the idea of 'dueling possessions'. You start OT just like the start of a half. For each possession by the first time, the second team gets a possession. Until one team leads after each having a possession. A defensive touchdown or safety on the first half ends the game, no different than a walk-off HR in the bottom of the 9th takes away the need to keep throwing pitches.

But, the game goes just as how it does. A kickoff. Then a TD, FG, punt, INT, fumble, etc. Wherever the drive ends, or how it ends, determines where Team B gets the ball. Off a kickoff, at the spot of the turnover, missed FG, etc. All facets of the game are used.

"The Falcons should have had an opportunity to have the ball in Overtime!"

They did. If their defense stops the Patriots, or even hold them to a field goal, they get the ball. They failed to do so. No sympathy.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

17 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

OK, that's a little over the top, but it'd be the same way in Pittsburgh, Green Bay, and other places too.

[general statement, not directed to the quoted poster]

It really comes off as silly and immature to be like oh, I hate the [team name] and their "fans", lol or see how many fans they had before they got good, now everyone's a fan, or I paid money I shouldn't have and sat in empty stadiums torturing myself watching crappy players that didn't care so I can enjoy my team's success and you just don't understand.

Now I fully admit that in my younger days I used to be like that.  Maybe it's just about getting older, but all of those things are just so stupid.   So you've been a lifelong fan of your team?  Good for you.  Maybe other people had other priorities, or your team sucked so they decided that they'd choose enjoyment over pain when it came to their sports outlet.

That's exactly what it is. I used to be like that in my younger days as well. - Cheap Plug Alert - Ice_Cap and I talked about that very thing on BASS last night. Like it or not, folks, your priorities change and you grow out of being a "loyal, lifelong fan." Sports slowly transitions to being nothing more than another form of entertainment. Sure, you still have "favorite" teams and you still get into games, but wins and losses, rivalries, hating players and/or teams, etc., don't mean nearly as much as they used to. You're "over" a loss an hour or two (if that) after a game. And the best part is that it makes watching sports much more enjoyable. 

BB52Big.jpg

I think a day and a half of head-cooling has helped me get a better perspective on this game than I did right after or the morning after. 

I was, frankly, pretty ticked off after the game. I couldn't believe of all teams to pull that off, it was the team I despise most in sports that did it. So I had some pretty strong feelings afterwards, but like what was said earlier in the thread (in paraphrase), sometimes sports effects us more than it should. It got me, that's for sure. You Pats fans here deserve to enjoy this, probably more than any win before.

Some things I didn't say earlier that I've come to realize now:

- Anyone that thinks this was rigged (I've seen some think so on social media) needs to stop it. The Pats just straight up owned that second half and won it. The receivers stopped dropping passes and Brady threw dimes. Perfect storm. And in all honesty, that's one of the best officiated Super Bowls I have ever seen. I don't recall a single instance in which I thought a call was questionable. The field crew did an amazing, amazing job. So no rig, just a historic effort on the Pats' part.

- I don't know that Brady is better than Montana for sure, but I will say that love him or hate him, he's the closest thing my generation's got to Montana-esque. Can't stand him, but I also can't deny how abso-freaking-lately great he is. And I say that as a huge Peyton Manning fan. 

- You have to respect, no matter what your feelings are on the team, just how this team keeps churning. It's a machine. Just the fact they can plug in a no-name little guy hailing from Western Maine School of Medicine A&M or wherever at receiver year in and year out and just shred. I've never seen anything like the system they've got, and annoying as it can be, it works and it wins. Hats off to that.

This doesn't change the fact that I'm still super Pats-fatigued and look forwards to more parity someday. That's just naturally the kind of fan I am in any sport. But even still, you can't not tip your cap to something like this. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

2 hours ago, JQK said:

"The Falcons should have had an opportunity to have the ball in Overtime!"

They did. If their defense stops the Patriots, or even hold them to a field goal, they get the ball. They failed to do so. No sympathy.

The irony of this post is that the loss isn't on Atlanta's defense.

It's on the offense.

46 snaps.  While New England had 93 overall and was in the mid-80s in regulation.  There is not a defense in existence that could hold given that snap disparity.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

13 hours ago, slapshot said:

What. A. Game!

::insert slapshot post::

Thank you. Couldn't agree more. 

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

14 minutes ago, rams80 said:

The irony of this post is that the loss isn't on Atlanta's defense.

It's on the offense.

46 snaps.  While New England had 93 overall and was in the mid-80s in regulation.  There is not a defense in existence that could hold given that snap disparity.

The dumbest thing is they were running the ball so effectively on New England's defense before they choked away field goal range while up 8. Run the ball 3 times and there's a high likelihood that not only do you come away up 11, but you pick up the first down and burn clock. Instead they take a sack and then a penalty trying to dig themselves out of the sack hole and New England gets the ball back against a tired defense. 

Atlanta's coaches panicked and as a result so did the team. That's what Bellichick perhaps does best. When he finds himself in situations like that he doesn't make errors. Every NFL head coach needs an assistant in the booth whose entire job is to say "calm down and think".

PvO6ZWJ.png

14 hours ago, slapshot said:

What. A. Game!

I do not hide my fandom, as all my Facebook and Twitter friends can attest this morning.

I do feel like I need to get my blood pressure checked, as it is QUITE SALTY in here. Wah, the league sucks because the Patriots always win. Wah, there's no parity anymore. Wah, I'm not watching any more games until Brady and Belichick retire. Wah, wah, wah. The bandwagoning anti-Patriots/Boston fandom is really sad. Sad!

Did any of you stop watching the NBA when the Lakers or Spurs won the Finals every year?

How about the MLB when the Yankees bought their way into a few titles?

What about the perpetual success of the Penguins and Red Wings in the NHL?

No?

I'm old enough to remember the Patriots' 2-14 season. And the other 2-14 season. And the 1-15 season. And the sexist razor-company owner who looked the other way when a female reporter was harassed in the locker room. The threats to move the team to Hartford. And the year they finally made the Super Bowl, only to get blown out by 36. And then to return 10 years later, and get blown out again, because the coach was too busy thinking about his next job.

Between 1960-1985, the team won TWO playoff games. They went 36 years for their first home playoff win. Everyone talks about how the franchise has been good forever, and I remember when they weren't. I remember when the only time I could see their home red jerseys was during the sports segment of the local news, because the team was bad and home games were blacked out.

My issue isn't with the dyed in the wool Pats fans like yourself. Anyone who supported the team through those years has my respect. My ire with Pats fans is entirely directed at the 20 year old bros who don't know what it's like to watch a bad team and Bill Simmons who despite all the success bitches about 07 and 11 like you never won any other Super Bowls.  

Everyone should have to experience a 2-14 season. Builds character. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

15 hours ago, slapshot said:

What. A. Game!

Yup. He ain't kidding about that, folks. Two samples from my Facebook feed...

ha9kYt2.jpgRBNjDhW.jpg

Honestly, it's neat seeing you enjoy this as much as you are. My only issue is the whole G.O.A.T. thing. We both know that Joe Montana holds that title. Brady can be 1a or something. B)

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

The dumbest thing is they were running the ball so effectively on New England's defense before they choked away field goal range while up 8. Run the ball 3 times and there's a high likelihood that not only do you come away up 11, but you pick up the first down and burn clock. Instead they take a sack and then a penalty trying to dig themselves out of the sack hole and New England gets the ball back against a tired defense. 

Atlanta's coaches panicked and as a result so did the team. That's what Bellichick perhaps does best. When he finds himself in situations like that he doesn't make errors. Every NFL head coach needs an assistant in the booth whose entire job is to say "calm down and think".

I said exactly this in a couple different places after the game. That is definitely one of Belichick's underrated great qualities, and it showed again on Sunday night.

Kyle Shanahan is one of the best in the business at what he does, and he completely lost his grip on the game there. That was shocking. Because, think about it, for us arm-chair play-callers, what's one of the things we generally sneer at? Conservative play-calling, right? Running the ball and trying to drain the clock.

In fairness, in general, that is literally the one thing you can't criticize Shanny and the Falcons for, but that doesn't make them right, of course. Especially when you remember that Belichick didn't even use one of his timeouts after the 1st down run play following Julio's catch. They were well within FG range, to go up two scores, and the clock was under four minutes to play. Obviously, no guarantees Atlanta wins either way; no guarantee Bryant makes a kick there. But it took some real capitulation to actually end up 20 yards back and out of field goal range at the end of that. I can't believe that happened.

But that is an understated thing when talking about Belichick's brilliance, I guess. That, sometimes, the solution to winning is as simple as sitting back and letting the opposing team make its own unforced mistakes. Seattle two years ago; Giants in the regular season last year, last night, I mean, all games that are probably lost with better play-calling and game management on the other side. When the Patriots keep winning this way, it can't be a fluke, I guess.

spacer.png

Archived