Championnat Vorticoa | FICTIONAL LEAGUE AND COUNTRY

VorticoseTax

So after entering some teams into @gswansea's WFA Club Championship and seeing @XenonDesigns rebooting the MPL, I decided to finally post the league I have been working on recently.

I will begin with posting the first divison teams and then later continue on with the second tier.

Vorticoa

The fictional country of Vorticoa, which is hypothetically located as an island in the North Sea, the country houses a large francophone population with French being the primary language spoken,

however in recent years foreigners have arrived to give the country a lot broader range of cultures. The one thing that unites the nation is football/soccer and with around thirty professional teams spanning across two tiers there is a lot of fan support and rivalry.

Below is a map of Vorticoa with city names, each city houses at least one team with some larger cities housing two or more. The capital city of Vorticoa is Viselles which is indicated in red.

Map of Vorticoa with cities.png

With that out of the way, I'd like to introduce you to the highest divison in the Vorticoa pyramid, Championnat Vorticoa!

Championnat Vorticoa logo.png

Formed in 1988 as a merger of the existing Ligue Nord and Ligue du Sud, which were the North and South leagues, respectively. The aim was to create a nation-wide competition to further unite the nation. Starting off with 10 teams which was later expanded to 14 in 1990 and introduced promotion and relegation in 2000, the quality of the league has grown rapidly and is one of the most competitive leagues in Europe. The title has only been won by 9 different teams with powerhouse Cieux City holding the most titles with 8 to their name.

I will begin to start posting teams later today or tomorrow.

Let's start off with the reigning champs, Cieux City

Cieux City are considered one of the two historical powerhouses of Vorticoan football, being extremely successful in the defunct Ligue Nord, they continued their form over into the Championnat and  have managed to win the title a record 8 times. The city of Cieux is located on the banks of the Great Lake among many other smaller cities and towns, however despite these local derbies many fans consider Lavoisie FC to be the arch-rivals due to the two being the most successful clubs in Vorticoa. Winning their eighth title last season earned them a new sponsorship deal with Hyundai and they've been with kit manufacturers Under Armour since 2011. Jon Fonseca is one of the high caliber players in the league who re-joint the champions in the off season after spending time in other European leagues, he chose the number 21 for two reasons, firstly that was his age when he first won the league with Cieux and secondly the same number was worn for Cieux City by club legend Bruce Saymak.

All C&C is Welcome

Cieux City.png

I like your kit designs, but I have some things I'm gonna point out.

Firstly, the collars on the white and grey kits are different. Did you do that on purpose? If so, that's interesting.

Secondly, I notice the difference in the blues on the kits. I personally checked if the white kit's blue worked with the grey, and it does. Is this for more contrast? 

Thirdly, the stripes on the back of the grey kit make me think adidas...

I can't wait to see more, I'm always interested in fictional sports competitions in fictional places.

I9SoMSI.png

29308567630_9f30c1e63c_o.png

chi2.png

40136204761_246372f921_c.jpg 

Firstly, the collars on the white and grey kits are different. Did you do that on purpose? If so, that's interesting.

Yes, I purposefully used different collars purely for variations sake. As much as I love a v-neck I didn't want my designs to become repetitive

Secondly, I notice the difference in the blues on the kits. I personally checked if the white kit's blue worked with the grey, and it does. Is this for more contrast? 

I tried the grey kit using the blue from the white originally, but I thought that as a spectator seeing the game from a height the kits might look a bit too similar, so as you said it was for more variation from the home kit and for more contrast with the grey

Thirdly, the stripes on the back of the grey kit make me think adidas

Now that you point that out, you have a good point. I might reduce the stripes to just one so there is still something to break up the light blue.

4 hours ago, VorticoseTax said:

Yes, I purposefully used different collars purely for variations sake. As much as I love a v-neck I didn't want my designs to become repetitive

I understand where your coming from, but that is unlike a kit manufacturer. Most use one template per year on each team. I like each kit design though.

IxkieML.png

Moving onto the next team then, AS Virsac

Recently AS Virsac have shown their ability to be a powerhouse team in Vorticoa having won 4 titles from 2008-2015. The has grown from a team that usually placed in the lower rankings of the league to a team that is constantly fighting for a top spot. This has all come about since Damien Bergougneux came to the club in 2002 and revamped the entire club top to bottom. He focused heavily on the youth academy and made sure the club managed to keep all the promising prospects rather than sell them on like they used to do, as the had no means of competing with larger clubs financially. Bergougneux also further extended the youth scouting network to reach foreign areas and brought in talents such as current team captain Chester Rakhale and clinical finisher Benjamin Barthelemy. The club has grown rapidly recently due to a population boom in Virsac with the fan base receiving more and more members. The club has still retained it's association with multiple charities and this season UNICEF dons the front of the traditional pink and white shirt. Nike have produced the kit for the third season in a row.

AS Virsac.png

Now moving on to, Thimonville

Thimonville are a club that almost always exceeds expectations but nothing more, their two titles were separated by a decade, in 99/00 and 09/10 respectively. However the small city of Thimonville is the birthplace of perhaps the greatest ever Vorticoan footballer, Michael Lundy. Lundy had a 18-year career with Thimonville that lasted from 1992 to 2010, during this time he captained the side to two titles before retiring at the age of 35 after winning the league title in his final season. As a player his accomplishments are remarkable, he is the highest capped Vorticoan player and also has the most appearances in the Championnat with 620 appearance to his name. Since his retirement his infamous number 21 has been retired for both club and country. Lundy now appears as a pundit for the Championnat and also hosts multiple football shows in Vorticoa. As a club Thimonville is very local and heavily involved with the community and boasts one of the best academies in Vorticoa. The club have been with Adidas since the 2006 and with Samsung since 2012.

Thimonville.png

Olympique Laval

Whilst considered one of the big clubs of Vorticoa by their fans, Olympique Laval's most recent trophy came in 2001 and since then the club hasn't been much more than a mid-table side. However this doesn't stop the loyal fans from bragging about the distant memory of success they had during the Ligue du Sud era during which the club was regarded as one of the most promising looking sides as the won the now defunct competition in 1986 with a young side full of ambition and talent. This was the club's fourth trophy in the league and when paired with the Championnat win in 2001 makes up the 5 star that appear on the club's crest. Choosing to prematurely end their deal with Macron, Laval have signed a deal with kit manufacturer Umbro. Whilst sponsor Veolia re-signed with the club to have their logo on the front of the shirt.

Olympique Laval.png

Thire

Thire are one of four professional clubs from the region known as the Thomas Trail, an area which explorer Thomas Grenier mapped out during the initial discovery of Vorticoa. The region boasts a lush forest and a large variety of wildlife which is represented through each team's crest such as Thimonville's elk and Thire's lion. Some may think these clubs would have a fierce rivalry with each other but that is not the case. Instead they consider each other as brothers. Thire have won the Championnat twice in 1995 and 1998 and are the only Thomas Trail side to have played in the inaugural season. The club were announced alongside Fiorentina and St Etienne as one of the flagship clubs that Le Coq Sportif would be the kit manufacturer for beginning in the 2014/2015 season. Previously sponsored by Coca-Cola, fans rioted when they found out they would share a sponsor with Lavoisie FC, so parent brand the Coca-Cola Company chose instead to promote Sprite on the front of the jersey, pleasing the fans in the childish argument.

Thire.png

I'd recommend not taking the lion straight out of the Chelsea crest then put it in yours and rather you do your own work, thanks.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, it's just that I'm not exactly good at making lions in photoshop. I'll change it if you want

I lie the designs, but is their a reason the names are below the number?

No reason, I had my initial designs with the number above the name and just decided to run with it.

I love Olympique Laval's away/secondary! I wonder what their home/first would look like with the same type of gradient? I take the yellow home is traditional for them?

I'm either gonna support Olymoique Laval or AS Virsac atm

I9SoMSI.png

29308567630_9f30c1e63c_o.png

chi2.png

40136204761_246372f921_c.jpg 

I would be willing to make a couple of stadium's and the National one  just let me know what the colors are and what the kit manufacturer is 

That would be amazing if you could! As for the national team I was thinking colors being white and light blue, as for kit manufacturer, I'll leave that up to you

Champlain Foot

The city of Champlain is situated between the "Deux Fleuves" or two rivers. As a result of this, the most famous monument of the town is the Grollier Bridge which is depicted on Champlain Foot's crest and kit. The city used to previously be a hub of factories and mining but the rapid growth in the area has pushed the factories and mining facililities further and further away from the city, since that the city has flourished and in 1984 a multipurpose stadium was built on the land that previously belonged to a bottling factory. The club itself has never won any silverware but likewise they have never been relegated. Their most fierce rivals are undoubtedly Anselme as the two clubs have had a hatred for each other since the late 90s back when Anselme were only playing regional football. Before then the clubs were friendly towards each other as Champlain were the only professional club from the region but ever since Anselme declared that they were going to become professional and begin playing in the newly founded second division the clubs have had a strong hatred for each other. After Anselme won promotion back to the Championnat last season the derby games this season are heavily anticipated. Champlain are sponsored by Perrier, won of the brands that partly owned the old bottling factory and since last year the kits have been made by Adidas.

Champlain Foot.png

Archived