Thrift Store Gems 2017

johnnysama

On 9/1/2017 at 6:15 PM, johnnysama said:

I found a 2010 Seattle Seahawks game-cut jersey for $50 and a University of Wisconsin hockey jersey for $12, but since I have donated a lot of things @ my local Value Village (and have gotten a few "30% your purchase" cards as a result- I'm moving, is why), I ended up getting both jerseys for $47 after sales tax.

You are a gentleman and a scholar......and a crook and a scoundrel :P

On 8/27/2017 at 4:43 PM, C-Squared said:

...and the best big-money find since a pair of NFL game jerseys last month... brand new with tags vintage Starter 9ers jacket!

DSC06464.JPG.70b420b2981ce939417618cf7f81cc42.JPG

I know a guy who'd behead you to get his hands on this :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a beautiful creamsicle Bucco Bruce Lee Roy Selmon Ring of Honor induction shirt in my size for $1.98. It wasn't even on a rack; I saw it laying on top of a rack of women's dresses while my daughter was in the changing room.

Not my auction (totally keeping it), but it's the same shirt: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAMPA-BAY-BUCCANEERS-LEE-ROY-SELMON-RING-OF-HONOR-INDUCTION-T-SHIRT-/361669324558

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Picking pretty sparse recently.

Picked up a vintage Expos pill box style hat in great condition at a second hand consignment store for $10 (not my pic but this style):

s-l500.jpg

Also found a rarity at a thrift shop - an old CFL book for $3
Mel Profit: For Love, Money, and Future Considerations (Photographs by Terry Hancey.  copyright 1972)

P1550356.JPG

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

Every time I read this thread I get really depressed that the only thing I have near me that might even have a slim chance of having any finds like these is a Marshalls and TJ Maxx.

spacer.png

I had one of those Wiz jerseys when I was a kid. I was in fifth grade and it was on sale since the year we lived in Kansas was MLS’s second year and they were already the Wizards. 

Related anecdote, I tracked down the white version a few years ago. I’ve done some major research and looking around, they might have been the only team selling both home and away shirts in the first year. A white ‘96 Mutiny would net you a kidney or my eventual first born. 

19 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

Every time I read this thread I get really depressed that the only thing I have near me that might even have a slim chance of having any finds like these is a Marshalls and TJ Maxx.

Same here. Even the Goodwills I go to are pretty bare. Guess it’s just LUCK.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

16 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

Same here. Even the Goodwills I go to are pretty bare. Guess it’s just LUCK.

The thrifts by me that used to be great have these 35-45 year old men sitting by the doors all day every day waiting for the stock to be rolled out to flip. 

Aggravating, it's really ruined the hobby for me. Unless I stand with them- there's no chance of anything being there when you pop in. They grab it all, game day giveaways, replicas, fake jerseys, fake sneakers. If it had a team- they buy it the moment it's wheeled out. 

They also pick through the toys. 

Why do these places let them stand next to the stock room and grab it before it's even a foot out the back? 

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Picked up this Mexico baseball cap for $4 at Value Village

We had the WBSC U-18 World Baseball Cup here locally this summer, but I believe Mexico only wore green caps during the tournament so this is likely from another event elsewhere. 
5950 New Era fitted hat with tag with World Baseball Classic and logo tag sewn inside and logo on back of cap.

this logo but without the words:

2013-WBC-Logo.jpg

P1550372.JPG

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

• 3 weeks later...

Archived