Thrift Store Gems 2017

johnnysama

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/23/2017 at 2:57 AM, Bucfan56 said:

No they aren't 100% spot on, but they're so close that most won't notice, even on here. Minor inconsistencies like that are worth the price difference to me, and I haven't really found a better way to get just the letter kits for blank jerseys that are as accurate. 

Plus, there are a LOT of different options. Just about any NHL jersey you can think of they can do at least close enough to be passable

s-l1600-2.jpgs-l1600-3.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Where are you getting these kits from and do they ship nationwide?

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Went to the Goodwill Outlet yesterday and it's tough to find anything jersey related, but some guy was walking around with a 1990's St. Louis Blues CCM jersey with the red and diagonal stripes so I asked him what size it was trying to gauge if he was going to keep it.

He noticed an old U. Dayton hat I had and he said he liked it. So we traded. Place is by the pound so I probably paid 50 cents for the jersey. It's in rough shape but I'm going to try to clean it up and then have EPS put Gretzky on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since I've found anything good... that changed today!

20170217_152143_zpsibjdgqiu.jpg

20170217_152158_zpsvmk5kbuu.jpg

1993-95? Bayern shirt. Found a few pics, but none for sale on Ebay. Any ideas if this is authentic and/or rare?

1972-75? game-worn Tennessee basketball jersey. #45 was John Snow, a guard who made all-SEC Third Team a few times during the "Bernie and Ernie" days. This is one of my all-time best finds.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

On February 4, 2017 at 2:28 PM, Griffinmarlins said:

Where are you getting these kits from and do they ship nationwide?

Couple different eBay sellers have them. Just be careful and ask for a pic of the actual product on a custom font team, as some are pretty far off. 

Also if it comes with a nameplate they tend to be hideous shiny twill things that look out of place on a jersey. 

If 100% accuracy (or even 75% on some) is what you want, they're probably not for you. 

Went thrift shopping here in North Carolina today and found what looks like an old-school NC State football practice jersey for $4. It was listed as a XXL, but I didn't buy it because it was unusually tight around the stomach. Hell of a find, though.

image2.JPG

Even though I passed on that, I did buy a fitted Milwaukee Braves hat from the same thrift shop for only $1(!).

image1 (2).JPG

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

I spent the weekend in Montreal and checked out a Winners store. Managed to come across a Mitchell and Ness Randall Cunningham green Eagles jersey on the clearance rack. Price tag at 129, reduced to 25. It's a size small which normally wouldn't fit me, but it fits more like a medium which I can deal with. Regardless I wasn't saying no to that beauty. The flying eagles on the shoulder are what got me.

Looked like this:

s-l225.jpg

sig.png

On 2/18/2017 at 6:51 PM, ChicagoOakland said:

Went thrift shopping here in North Carolina today and found what looks like an old-school NC State football practice jersey for $4. It was listed as a XXL, but I didn't buy it because it was unusually tight around the stomach. Hell of a find, though.

image2.JPG

That's a gamer, not a practice jersey.

https://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/catalog/ua023_004-005-am0064-000-038#?c=0&m=0&s=0&cv=0&z=-728.6619%2C0%2C5316.3237%2C2742

I think this picture also explains why it was "unusually tight around the stomach." :D

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Nice to see the thread title's outlived the need for its creator's involvement :D

My local VV moved several blocks west a few years ago, and I only made my first trip there this afternoon...since I was looking for something else entirely (with no luck), I wound up not staying that long...hell, I was just happy I managed to get my fat ass across the highway afterwards.

That NC State jersey, though...reminds me of one time when I came across an 80s Packers jersey and felt like kicking myself...in my case, I didn't have enough dosh...but anyway, I'll tell you what, @ChicagoOakland, just like I'll never see that particular jersey again, that NC State jersey is probably long gone by now.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

11 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I spent the weekend in Montreal and checked out a Winners store. Managed to come across a Mitchell and Ness Randall Cunningham green Eagles jersey on the clearance rack. Price tag at 129, reduced to 25. It's a size small which normally wouldn't fit me, but it fits more like a medium which I can deal with. Regardless I wasn't saying no to that beauty. The flying eagles on the shoulder are what got me.

Looked like this:

s-l225.jpg

You're a lucky guy, I've been wanting that jersey for years, but on a topic-related note I found a like-new reebok Julio Jones Falcons jersey for $1, will try to post pics tomorrow.

55 minutes ago, Discrimihater said:

Nice to see the thread title's outlived the need for its creator's involvement :D

My local VV moved several blocks west a few years ago, and I only made my first trip there this afternoon...since I was looking for something else entirely (with no luck), I wound up not staying that long...hell, I was just happy I managed to get my fat ass across the highway afterwards.

That NC State jersey, though...reminds me of one time when I came across an 80s Packers jersey and felt like kicking myself...in my case, I didn't have enough dosh...but anyway, I'll tell you what, @ChicagoOakland, just like I'll never see that particular jersey again, that NC State jersey is probably long gone by now.

I'm checking tomorrow anyway...I'm definitely kicking myself right now haha.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

Another decent find for the second day in a row! Got this Russia Euro 2012 jersey for $4.49. It doesn't even look like it's been worn. I might try and sell it though, as I can see it's going for much higher on eBay right now. 

IMG_2307.JPG

20 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

You mean me? Oh, I still post on this thread every so often. For instance, I recently found a few caps. :D

UBwef0L.png

I got this Yonder Alonso Padres jersey for $5. That was a good day.

2014-Yonder-Alonso-23-230-11.jpg

I once saw an AUTHENTIC cool base Mike Trout jersey at a cash-only thirft store for $30 once. I didn't have $30 cash on me, so i went to my nearest ATM machine to grab more cash, and when I returned...............

....IT WAS GONE. That was a bad day.

Archived