Thrift Store Gems 2017

johnnysama

On 5/26/2017 at 10:53 PM, andycumbee19 said:

A trip to my local Plato's Closet yielded these 2 gems: 

The Winged Angels I'll definitely keep as it's from my favorite Angels uniform set.  

The Brewers will probably go to the Bay of E. 

20170526_223333.jpg

That is a nice Angels hat.  Would have been a good alternate. That scheme may not have worked for everyone in 1997 (remember the "Periwinkle in baseball?????" talk) but it would certainly work today.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, BlackBolt3 said:

This seems like the right place to ask: Other than eBay, what websites are there that you can buy used jerseys and other sports wear?

haven't bought anything there yet but have been made aware of this site:
https://sidelineswap.com/

Found that one out from one of the hockey jersey pages on Facebook:
There are many different groups on Facebook that I am aware of that have a sale section for hockey jerseys - most seem to be or either lean towards or are exclusively game worn and authentic jerseys though (mostly out of my price range).

can sometimes find cheaper ones sometimes on "NOT Game Worn Hockey Jersey Collectors."
You can find postings for a variety of sports jerseys on "Thrift central".

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

16 hours ago, Conrad. said:

I suppose this applies to this thread, right?

You might want to check...I do believe the Rodman with red hair is a rare alternate and might be worth some good $$$.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, this might be one of the most unusual finds on this topic.

Apparently the '94 FIBA World Championships released a mixtape(???) and I was able to scoop it for $1 at a thrift store in Raleigh. (Weird, considering the championships were played in Toronto.)

There's even a schedule inside featuring Dream Team II.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

I hate when I see the trim of what would be an awesome find and get my hopes up...

IMG_2533.JPG.c78242fda1e78f92f4ef479fd4a90b9a.JPG

...only to realize that it's an uncrested jersey :mad:

IMG_2534.JPG.c668dff698f9c2a952324cc87384fa5c.JPG

This has happened to me way too many times. First the Sabres red third, then the Rangers Lady Liberty, and now this!

But I did find this Galatasary jersey on the same trip to Value Village which I snatched up in a hurry. Odd find geographically speaking but I'm not complaining!

IMG_2535.JPG.aa91c4832e9993aa0bd459123ffe1f3d.JPG

At a giant flea market and resale shop in Hot Springs, AR I've found these two vintage beauties in my first two minutes of being here. The helmet one has a copyright of 1975 on it is notable for the rare Giants "NY" helmet, while the other is 1977 hand along the sides have the two conferences represented by helmets, including Seattle and Tampa Bay, while the Giants is now the familiar underlined script. I'll post more pics if I find anything else of note.

IMG_2187.JPG

IMG_2188.JPG

98Falcons.png

10 hours ago, robbman21 said:

At a giant flea market and resale shop in Hot Springs, AR I've found these two vintage beauties in my first two minutes of being here. The helmet one has a copyright of 1975 on it is notable for the rare Giants "NY" helmet, while the other is 1977 hand along the sides have the two conferences represented by helmets, including Seattle and Tampa Bay, while the Giants is now the familiar underlined script. I'll post more pics if I find anything else of note.

IMG_2187.JPG

IMG_2188.JPG

I have the bottom lunch box. It's on display in my NFL den

I decided to stop by Shopko for the first time in quite some time the other day, and along the way I saw a Salvation Army store had opened near there.  Honestly, I was tempted to take a stab at flipping some of what I didn't buy: a couple Chivas jerseys, a Jagermeister hockey jersey, a TON of blank jerseys (mostly youth sized)...speaking of blanks, I kinda wish I'd thought to myself "youth and high school teams gotta buy their uniforms from somewhere,don't they?" earlier in my life...in any event, I bought a blank jersey and a somewhat surprising find given the huge glut of stuff I could tell was from Illinois: a Racine Raiders alumni tee (which I'm not sure I'm ever gonna wear in public, given I've never played for them...much like at least a few people have said of my concepts, I might just look at it and never wear it)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

you guys ever find anything interesting at places like Marshall's or TJ Maxx?  Those are the only things that sort of pass as a "resale story" where I am and trying to figure out whether its worth it to take a look. 

22 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

you guys ever find anything interesting at places like Marshall's or TJ Maxx?  Those are the only things that sort of pass as a "resale story" where I am and trying to figure out whether its worth it to take a look. 

About three years ago, I found a circa 1997 Leon Lett Cowboys Champion jersey at a Marshalls near Rochester, NY. Weirdest find of my life.

5 hours ago, BrianLion said:

They're the best place to get stuff that is a season or two old and still new. But sometimes the price point isn't the best imo, especially at Maxx, things can get a little spendy.

Archived