Wofford College Terriers Rebrand

ZionEagle

I'm back with another rebrand! (I just can't give up can I?) This time, I was looking at college logos on the site and come across the atrocity of an identity.

You guessed it, the Wofford Terriers caught my eye. It's utterly pathetic that a Division I college can't even manage to have a logo that looks better than your average clip art drawing.

So I endeavored to tackle the design challenge before me and update the Terriers. I plan on doing jerseys eventually.

nGnT84K.jpg

To start, I redid the college logo. I used Edmond Sans bold as a base for the font, but I edited it to give the vibe of the original. 

X7PRyvD.jpg

As for the new logo, I essentially just improved on the anatomy of the terrier. You'll also notice I swapped the colors on the collar.

3HIAthb.jpg

This is my favorite logo of the package. I considered making it the primary, but I'm not really sure. C&C always appreciated!

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

2 hours ago, scottyeagle said:

I don't know why, but something on the dog head logo makes me think cat instead.  Maybe the eye is a little too narrow or something in the mouth is throwing it off 

I was thinking the same thing: there's something cat-like about the dog's face. I realize that perception of the image is influenced by the ears too (as they stick up like a cat's), but you've illustrated what a Boston Terrier's ears look like. So it must be something to do with the mouth; fixing that to make it look less feline will then make the ears not appear so feline either. Closing the mouth and/or extending the upper lips down a bit might help de-cat the terrier's face a bit? 

Thanks for the feedback guys :) 

2 hours ago, Ted Cunningham said:

I was thinking the same thing: there's something cat-like about the dog's face. I realize that perception of the image is influenced by the ears too (as they stick up like a cat's), but you've illustrated what a Boston Terrier's ears look like. So it must be something to do with the mouth; fixing that to make it look less feline will then make the ears not appear so feline either. Closing the mouth and/or extending the upper lips down a bit might help de-cat the terrier's face a bit? 

I think it is the mouth, but here's the reference picture I used.

PGk7PvK.jpg

As you can see, I tried to make the mouth as similar as possible to the picture.

Maybe if I added teeth to the bottom lip it would make it less feline? I'll admit I was having trouble deciding what to do to the mouth. Any ideas?

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

You should work on presenting your concepts differently. The background is too busy to focus on your work.

But I think the primary logo is fine. I don't think the underlines are really needed anymore.

Both dog logos aren't bad. I think they could use some more fine tuning. The back legs on the full body logo seem off to me. Maybe some more detail on the left leg as seen in the reference image you posted above?

I actually agree that the dog appears somewhat cat like. Maybe try experimenting with a rounder eye shape. Something more similar to the old logo. Also, maybe a visible tongue could help it appear more like a dog? You don't see many cats with a tongue wagging haha

On 12/31/2016 at 3:55 PM, ZionEagle said:

I'm back with another rebrand! (I just can't give up can I?) This time, I was looking at college logos on the site and come across the atrocity of an identity.

You guessed it, the Wofford Terriers caught my eye. It's utterly pathetic that a Division I college can't even manage to have a logo that looks better than your average clip art drawing.

So I endeavored to tackle the design challenge before me and update the Terriers. I plan on doing jerseys eventually.

nGnT84K.jpg

To start, I redid the college logo. I used Edmond Sans bold as a base for the font, but I edited it to give the vibe of the original. 

X7PRyvD.jpg

As for the new logo, I essentially just improved on the anatomy of the terrier. You'll also notice I swapped the colors on the collar.

3HIAthb.jpg

This is my favorite logo of the package. I considered making it the primary, but I'm not really sure. C&C always appreciated!

Love the logo set,  but can't help feel the updated typeface is more generic than the existing typeface. The block W, rendered in gold-ish hues, smacks strongly of U-Dub. I'd be curious to see an update which retains the varying stroke width of the W.

21 hours ago, JESSEDIEBOLT said:

You should work on presenting your concepts differently. The background is too busy to focus on your work.

But I think the primary logo is fine. I don't think the underlines are really needed anymore.

Both dog logos aren't bad. I think they could use some more fine tuning. The back legs on the full body logo seem off to me. Maybe some more detail on the left leg as seen in the reference image you posted above?

I actually agree that the dog appears somewhat cat like. Maybe try experimenting with a rounder eye shape. Something more similar to the old logo. Also, maybe a visible tongue could help it appear more like a dog? You don't see many cats with a tongue wagging haha

16 hours ago, Whitefoot said:

You need a more defined snout to stop that cat like appearance. 

16 hours ago, mcrosby said:

Defining the top jaw, shortening the lower jaw, making the eye-white a bit more round, and giving the ears some forward direction should help get rid of that feline-feeling. 

I personally thought that the logo was distinctive enough to be associated with a Boston Terrier, however I do agree that changes could be made. Therefore, I present version 2.0!

dWrIw9N.png

KqhUDv9.png

rYcGE7P.png

2 hours ago, keithisgood said:

Love the logo set,  but can't help feel the updated typeface is more generic than the existing typeface. The block W, rendered in gold-ish hues, smacks strongly of U-Dub. I'd be curious to see an update which retains the varying stroke width of the W.

Uh...Really? What can be more generic than the wikipedia font they have now. And forgive me, but I'm not sure what you mean by U-Dub. I know the font probably isn't the most exciting, that's partly my fault because I'm not the best font editor. But I didn't want to give them the standard college block font, so I tried to make it a little different.

The varying stroke width is interesting in theory, but I didn't like how it looked when I executed it.

13 minutes ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

I agree the last logo should be the primary, I always love when Baylor plays them in football such a competitive game 

IMG_7743.PNG

I was thinking the same thing, but not sure how it would look on a helmet.

I thought that maybe a roundel W would be an interesting look for the school.

hfIRTix.png

My inspiration was keeping the double gold lines, but I'm not sure I like this one. If you have a better idea let me know. I plan on coming out with football jerseys in the near future :) 

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

Look back at your reference photo. Look at how the white fur makes a short almost horizontal line from the nose to the center of the eyes defining the top of the snout. Your render dose nothing to address the horizontal part of the snout (yours looks as if there is no snout and the nose meets the bottom of the forehead), thus a cat-like skull structure.

The eye change is much better!

The tongue is not a good addition. If you feel you need a tongue, keep it visible but inside the mouth (like in your reference photo). 

I also don't understand the two black triangle shapes at the bottom of the W ?sash? that the dog is wearing on its back. It forms a "M". If you are trying to show a wavy motion in the ?sash?, it is not working since the bottom edge is straight.

Stylistically this is a big upgrade, but getting the anatomy right is important. I pretty much agree with what Whitefoot said above. Your version comes across as a cat, because the forehead runs straight down into the nose, and it is lacking a dog-like snout. I'd bring the nose forward more and add a horizontal ruffle/shadow where the forehead meets the snout between the eyes to give the impression of a brow.

How does it look if you try adding a little white to the far eye?

As far as the sash draped over the back, right now you have it bending to the right, but try flipping it and having it bend to the left. That should look better based on the perspective. And you're going to have to arch the W a little to match the contours of the sash.

You're getting a lot of feedback on this because it has a lot of potential. If you make the necessary adjustments to the anatomy, it'd be a really nice addition to your portfolio.

Archived