2017 NFL Offseason: Firin', hirin', signin', draftin'!

CS85

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More reason for me to believe that Brady is done after this season. This strikes me as a "might as well do it before I miss the chance to" decision.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

1 hour ago, Brass said:

More reason for me to believe that Brady is done after this season. This strikes me as a "might as well do it before I miss the chance to" decision.

I believe I mentioned the same thing a while back.  Patriots only made four picks in this draft, right?  Traded a pick for a veteran WR, spent money in free agency, pulled out of looking to trade Garrapolo...this hasn't been a "business as usual" offseason for the Patriots.

1 hour ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I believe I mentioned the same thing a while back.  Patriots only made four picks in this draft, right?  Traded a pick for a veteran WR, spent money in free agency, pulled out of looking to trade Garrapolo...this hasn't been a "business as usual" offseason for the Patriots.

You're not wrong, but IIRC they had the most cap room this year (somehow). It's not totally shocking that they spent a decent amount of money in free agency. Personally, I think Brady still has a couple more years, if not more.

27 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

You're not wrong, but IIRC they had the most cap room this year (somehow). It's not totally shocking that they spent a decent amount of money in free agency. Personally, I think Brady still has a couple more years, if not more.

He might be looking to retire before he starts to decline, though. Don't want to end up like Favre, playing past your best before date.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

2 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Yeah, this has been something on the minds of a few friends of mine and myself ever since the team signed Stephon Gilmore and acquired Brandin Cooks. This is not the Patriots typical offseason that we're used to 'round these parts and it makes me think that. The only other reason I can see for trading draft picks is that Belichick didn't think highly of this draft class, which seems like an absolute stretch. My money is on this being TB12's last season playing football.

what the hell is ccslc?

36 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

It's not totally shocking that they spent a decent amount of money in free agency.

It is though, given that spending money in free agency has never been their M.O. They've never really gone out and spent a load of money on a top-tier free agent like they did with Gilmore. The only time I can really think of when they did was in 2007 when Bill Belichick fell in love with Adalius Thomas at the Pro Bowl and signed him to that 5 year deal.

what the hell is ccslc?

4 hours ago, Brass said:

It is though, given that spending money in free agency has never been their M.O. They've never really gone out and spent a load of money on a top-tier free agent like they did with Gilmore. The only time I can really think of when they did was in 2007 when Bill Belichick fell in love with Adalius Thomas at the Pro Bowl and signed him to that 5 year deal.

I know it's not usually what they do, but they had the 4th most cap room in the league (according to ESPN), and they only made four draft picks this year (3rd, 3rd, 4th, 6th). A high revenue team with a lot of cap space and without high quantity or quality draft picks... no, I'm not shocked that they made more moves than usual in free agency.

Myles Garrett plays high school football:

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

5 hours ago, CS85 said:

Sucks for fringe players who may otherwise get cut early and have time to catch on elsewhere. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Sucks for fringe players who may otherwise get cut early and have time to catch on elsewhere. 

Fringe players generally weren't released when the rosters got trimmed from 90 to 75.  Most of these cuts are guys that were just live bodies for practice, and the few expensive players that feel they aren't going to make the team and want to be given more time to find another team.  There usually aren't shocking cuts from 90 to 75.

If anything, it allows not just more evaluation time from the team a player is on, but all other 31 teams are looking at these players that aren't guaranteed roster spots.  It also allows the ability for the 2-deeps to practice against other players instead of 1's on 2's.  The two extra QB's in camp can now throw for a week longer and allow the starting QB's to save their arms for the season.

Archived