2017 NFL Offseason: Firin', hirin', signin', draftin'!

CS85

I don't think it helps for me that it was the Bears.  One of the NFL's notorious franchises for failing to land a franchise ace at QB.

If they start him this season, it'll be a failure.  Sit him & let him watch the league from the bench.  Practice for a full year, making up some of his few college reps.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

How did the setup in Phila come off on tv? I only saw the Eagles pick and all I noticed was the skyline shots were kinda limited and only from s few angles

I thought it was as good as it could be frankly.  If I hadn't known they were on location at the so called Rocky steps, I would've guessed it was a giant temp concert stage.  As others have mentioned online, not sure what the deal of actually wanting to attend live, esp if you're outside the main atrium.  

I was most concerned about the stairwell from the players' holding room to the stage - NFL could've had a huge issue if some guy being picked had taken a spill on his way to Rog.  We're talking guys on cloud nine drunk on a natural high, & here they've got to deal with industrial stairwell poorly lit.

As for the Patriots, even if it's Brady's final year, I think BB (& Kraft) would want to cushion the blow so the next QB is surrounded by as capable a roster as Tom had.  I don't know what's more likely at this point - if they somehow miss the playoffs would Brady want to avenge that, or if he wins does he keep trying for more.

Besides, BB surely wants to push it to the limits post-Brady to see what he can achieve without him.

ps I might roll the dice & load up fantasy this year on Tampa Bay players... though I did that before with Freeman, Blount, & Williams to fail once.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

4 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

A lot of Cowboys fans were complaining about the Taco pick; especially considering a good CB like Kevin King was still on the board.

Dallas was also deciding if they wanted TJ Watt; who they were also high on.

This is a good pick; and Charlton is the classic posterboy for Rod Marinelli. A young man who had a rollercoaster ride at school who can (hopefully) make the most out of his talent.

You should know something that I've learned about our fanbase: I've come to realize that Cowboys fans are idiots. There are some still complaining about taking Zeke because they don't think he's good enough to warrant the 4th overall last year and think it was "terrible value". 

These same fans also complained about drafting Fredrick in 2013 too, citing it was a reach when we could have had later. And even a year later in 2014, Cowboys fans complained about taking Zack Martin over Johnny Football. Just let that last one linger for a bit.. All 3 of those players have something in common: they are all-pro, pro bowl, elite players. All 3 are among the best, if not the best, at their positions in the NFL. I would think fellow Cowboys should realize this and trust our current FO, giving their tremendous success. 

But I do agree with you in that this was a good pick. I trust the process and I think Taco is going to end up being one helluva football player. Plus Taco is one of the best nicknames ever, and his twitter handle is even better: The Supreme Taco. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

18 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

You should know something that I've learned about our fanbase: I've come to realize that Cowboys fans are idiots. There are some still complaining about taking Zeke because they don't think he's good enough to warrant the 4th overall last year and think it was "terrible value".

Lol; I can't argue with that. People will find a way to complain about everything. Especially when it comes to the Cowboys.

Dallas was scared about [TJ] Watt's two knee surgeries and his apparent knee tendinitis. Dallas can easily nab a CB in Round 2. (A guy like Teez Tabor for instance.) This was apparently a debate about DE depth in this draft vs. CB/S depth in this draft; of which the former there is not a whole lot of.

Especially after guys like Takk and Charles Harris flew off the Board before Dallas got on the clock.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

It may have been that someone else wanted to trade into 2, but it's still only one team in front of you, not a handful you'd have to sit through and hope your guy falls and that hypothetical trade team may have been trading up for another guy. If you're the Bears what about Mitch Trubisky and his 13 college starts says "we have to trade everything because this is the next great NFL QB and we can't risk the one slot in front of us taking him"? According to Deadspin they only worked him out once and barely spoke to him http://deadspin.com/why-did-the-bears-give-up-so-much-for-mitch-trubisky-1794738334. I think they may have gotten tricked by the 49ers. 

I could be wrong and he could be a hall of famer super bowl winning quarterback, but they probably could've still had him at 3 without giving up the rest of the draft. I mean, even the Browns, the other team lost in the QB woods didn't want him. What's that tell you? Other comparable QBs, who I think are better could've been had if Trubisky had gone at 2. 

I get trying to find a franchise QB that'll stabilize the city for the next decade plus, but like you said you gotta let the draft come to you. I think the value of those four picks they gave up will ultimately be worth more in the long run than Trubisky. It'll be interesting to watch this unfold over the years. 

The Browns were trying to trade up to get Trubisky. I bet the 49ers put those two teams in a bidding war and the Bears came out on top. The Browns missed out and will be in for another terrible season without a QB. At least going after Trubisky (or even) Mahomes, they would have solved the biggest problem. Instead they'll probably pick one in the later rounds (Dobbs, Webb, Kaaya). They think they can outsmart the rest of the league, but there's a reason they went 1-15. At least the Bears took a shot.

I'm staying home sick today and celebrating by watching Draft Day. It really is the best NFL draft movie.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

31 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

The Browns were trying to trade up to get Trubisky. I bet the 49ers put those two teams in a bidding war and the Bears came out on top. The Browns missed out and will be in for another terrible season without a QB. At least going after Trubisky (or even) Mahomes, they would have solved the biggest problem. Instead they'll probably pick one in the later rounds (Dobbs, Webb, Kaaya). They think they can outsmart the rest of the league, but there's a reason they went 1-15. At least the Bears took a shot.

None of those QB's would get Cleveland to the playoffs, heck, maybe even .500 this year. The QB class this year is extremely weak compared to the one next year. Plus, the Browns have needs all over the place. It makes sense for Cleveland to use all of their additional picks to fill other positions of need, and then draft a QB next year when the class is stronger. 

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

2 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

Do you really believe that Trubisky would be enough to make the Browns competitive? Seriously? Until the Browns put together some sort of foundation, they can draft a clone of Joe Montana and it won't make much of a difference. There wasn't a QB on the board that I thought was worth a top 15 pick. The Browns are finally doing this the right way. I know it sucks to look at yet another season of bad football, but being patient and making smart picks is exactly what the Browns should be doing right now. There will be plenty of overrated QBs in next year's draft. 

BB52Big.jpg

4 hours ago, McCarthy said:

It may have been that someone else wanted to trade into 2, but it's still only one team in front of you, not a handful you'd have to sit through and hope your guy falls and that hypothetical trade team may have been trading up for another guy. If you're the Bears what about Mitch Trubisky and his 13 college starts says "we have to trade everything because this is the next great NFL QB and we can't risk the one slot in front of us taking him"? According to Deadspin they only worked him out once and barely spoke to him http://deadspin.com/why-did-the-bears-give-up-so-much-for-mitch-trubisky-1794738334. I think they may have gotten tricked by the 49ers. 

I could be wrong and he could be a hall of famer super bowl winning quarterback, but they probably could've still had him at 3 without giving up the rest of the draft. I mean, even the Browns, the other team lost in the QB woods didn't want him. What's that tell you? Other comparable QBs, who I think are better could've been had if Trubisky had gone at 2. 

I get trying to find a franchise QB that'll stabilize the city for the next decade plus, but like you said you gotta let the draft come to you. I think the value of those four picks they gave up will ultimately be worth more in the long run than Trubisky. It'll be interesting to watch this unfold over the years. 

While I get the sentiment, seeing what the NFL is today....if you think that guy is your QB, you go get him and do so at whatever cost.  If you think any player takes you to that next level, you go after him.

There's no magic formula for success.  The Redskins gave up a lot to the Rams for RG3 and that backfired.  The Falcons gave the Browns four picks for Julio Jones and all those picks Cleveland used are no longer on their roster.  The Texans have essentially given up two first round picks and two second round picks to get rid of Oswiler and put themselves in the position to get Watson.

There are times where you have to be the aggressor.  If you "wait for the draft to come to you", what you wanted won't always be there.

A TE from D-II Ashland University just got drafted by the Bears. I'm sure it's happened before, but I can't recall a player from a D-II school going this early in the draft. Not that anyone cares, but Ashland University is about 30 miles south of where I live. Nice campus. 

BB52Big.jpg

21 hours ago, Brass said:

The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to feel that this may be Brady's last season and they're just going all out to build a winner now.

- They threw money at a "bigger" free agent (Gilmore)

- They traded a first rounder for something other than more draft picks (Cooks)

- They haven't traded their heir apparent to the QB position when they could almost get a kings ransom for him (Garoppolo)

Hopefully I'm wrong, but this has been a very uncharacteristic-Patriots offseason.

They also spent a relatively large amount of money on Mike Gillislee. But they had the most or were at least close to the most cap room this offseason.

25 minutes ago, vicfurth said:

Mixon to the Bengals. 

While an ugly incident, this could be a big steal for the Bengals.  He'll have a clean sheet with them.

The Browns take Kizer.  Not sure what to make of his ability to become a quality NFL QB.  Always thought he was overhyped in college.

2 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Drew Pearson with the greatest draft pick announcement of all-time. That was incredible.

Not a bad pick either. The more defense, the better.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Archived