2017 NFL Offseason: Firin', hirin', signin', draftin'!

CS85

37 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Kap would be signed if he wasn't requesting 9 million dollars. Who's going to pay 9 million dollars to a guy to hold a clipboard?

Tony Romo (before his release/retirement) notwithstanding.

Different excuse than before, but I'll play with these goalposts as well. The Bears are paying Mike Glennon $15 million this year. They are also paying Mitchell Trubisky $7.25 million on a rookie deal. Both of these men will be in the bench at some point this season. If a team wants to give money like this to these players, a team with quarterback trouble can take $9 million on a starting level player.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair to say Kaepernick has had a large degree of regression in his play?

For an unorthodox QB that seemingly needs a specialized system to maximize his talents, there aren't that many positions as it is.  And at this point, pretty much every team either has their QB of today or their future QB.

The NFL has shown that if you can play, you'll be given as many chances to show yourself.  They'll take on "distractions" (for lack of a better word) if your production is worthwhile.

At this point, it seems like the last great option is Kaepernick to the Patriots as a TE or RB or something.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm shocked that The Jets or even Houston have no interest in Kaep. 

Guess he's too good for The Jets, and not good enough for The Texans. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

I'm just going to assume his stance is the main reason why he's unemployed; I think most would understand that. "What's he going to do next? Is he going to make another political statement?" That's always going to be the constant news headline with him and I don't think any team wants to deal with that (or at least that's what it seems like). The problem now is that he's been unemployed for so long, if someone finally signs him... it'll be a bigger story than what it would've been if he were signed earlier.

There have been many people also questioning his commitment to football, but I don't know all the details on that. Maybe that's a reason, too.

11 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

If you can say with a straight face that you honestly believe that if Kaepernick had never taken his stance he still would be jobless right now, you're a significantly better liar than me.

Being "controversial" doesn't help if your skills are average at best.  And, at this point, teams are set with their QB situations...most have their QB's for today, some have their QB of the future, and some are looking to get their future QB in the 2018 draft and are seemingly willing to sacrifice a season to get a better spot in the draft.

Plus, if you're in Kaepernick's corner, how happy would you be if he were signed just for a token gesture instead of his abilities?

3 hours ago, Cosmic said:

It's certainly possible that it's just his politics, but I can't judge one way or another unless I know the kind of money he's demanding.

$9 million is the number I keep hearing which doesn't sound overly out of line for a proven back up. I'd be pissed if my team signed him though

$9 million would probably land you somewhere in the bottom third of starting QB salaries. Not a ridiculous amount but is it too much for a backup/possible starter? I would lean towards yes. The guy has a certain skill set that may already be on the decline and has been proven that does not work long term.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about bringing in someone who is a "starter" as a backup, unless I saw him as my potential long-term QB.

You always want to challenge your starter, but unless he truly accepts his role as backup, it's tough to have someone who thinks that it should be their team looming in the background, unless your starter is clearly a top-tier QB with nothing to worry about.  He's kind of a "tweener" right now.  The trend is not to invest in a QB unless you think he's a franchise guy, and just tread water until you find that guy.  He's clearly not a "franchise" guy, but he's still probably a starter, but nobody wants to commit that much to someone who isn't their franchise.

If dog killers, woman beaters, drug users, DUI killers, etc. can get jobs, then this guy can get a job.  

IMO the best backups are guys who are either young guys who will eventually take over, or "professional backups".  I kind of look at backup QB as it's own position, different from starting QB.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Amazon's Hard Knocks style show, All or Nothing, followed the Rams through their 4-12 season last year. Good thing there's an uncensored version. Apparently, we get to see Jeff Fisher tell the players that he got fired.

16 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Amazon's Hard Knocks style show, All or Nothing, followed the Rams through their 4-12 season last year. Good thing there's an uncensored version. Apparently, we get to see Jeff Fisher tell the players that he got fired.

I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

17 hours ago, Cosmic said:

"We're not going 7-9, or 8-8, or 9-7, or even 10-6..."

Damn right. 

Kaepernick has been on a bit of a roll on Twitter ever since this Castille verdict came out late last week.

So Kaepernick's reasoning behind kneeling was that he was going to do so until he felt things "got better" for black people and minorities in regards to how they got treated by police officers, which I always thought was rather difficult to quantify.  Ok, cool, protest however you wish as long as there's no physical harm being done to others (or their property) by said protest.  Fast-forward to February or March, when he announced that he would no longer be kneeling during the anthem.  Either he felt things "got better"....or he felt "Oh crap, I may not be on an NFL roster soon".

For those that feel that Kaepernick isn't on an NFL roster because he's too much of a distraction, Colin isn't making things any easier on himself in terms of shaking off that distinction.

Hey guys, this isn't directly related to the offseason but I just wrote this article and I figured it would be worth posting here. Basically, I studied Super Bowl winners and losers to see how each team did the next season, took a look through some examples to see why they regressed or excelled, and then analyzed these factors in relation to Atlanta and New England for next season. I'd appreciate any feedback!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived