2017 NASCAR Season Thread

rvrdgsfn

People are complaining that NASCAR is "dead" with Junior retiring. He will still be apart of NASCAR; he just won't be racing.

I think the future is bright for the sport. A lot of great drivers with gobs of potential are finding themselves (Chase, Blaney, Larson, the Dillon bros.), and a few have the potential to be a real ringer in the Cup series in the future (Byron, Bubba Wallace).

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

People are complaining that NASCAR is "dead" with Junior retiring. He will still be apart of NASCAR; he just won't be racing.

Agreed, and I'm thinking we may see Junior become a solid owner.  He's already there in the Nationwide series, so now it's just the point of maybe buying/associating with an existing team.

23 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Agreed, and I'm thinking we may see Junior become a solid owner.  He's already there in the Nationwide series, so now it's just the point of maybe buying/associating with an existing team.

His sister Kelley, the day-to-day person behind the business, says they can't afford to go to Cup.  Junior's said he does NOT want to own a Cup team.  They'll look into adding trucks before they go up to Monster Series.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Somewhat related, but Alan Bestwick and Dr. Jerry Punch were two of the 100 ESPN employees laid off the other day. Both Doc and Bestwick stayed with ESPN when NASCAR left the network, covering college football and the IndyCar series. 

Hopefully they get picked up soon. Both have experience both in the booth and in the pits, and have great and recognizable voices. Bestwick has experience with NBC and MRN, while Doc would be a great fit as a medical analyst for the series if he doesn't find his way back to the live broadcasts.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Results from Richmond

1. Logano

2. Keselowski

3. Hamlin

4. Stenhouse Jr.

5. Harvick

6. McMurray

7. Newman

8. Kurt Busch

9. Almirola

10. Truex Jr.

Well, I was at the race & I can honestly tell you, the racing was better than what I saw last year. It was close in most aspects, there was even 4 wide attempts at this track. Rough day for any Hendrick driver, every one of them was served a penalty in the pits. A lot of penalties were involved. Felt bad for Larson after the final restart.

Next up, Talladega.

baltimoreravens.png

14 hours ago, rvrdgsfn said:

Results from Richmond

1. Logano

2. Keselowski

3. Hamlin

4. Stenhouse Jr.

5. Harvick

6. McMurray

7. Newman

8. Kurt Busch

9. Almirola

10. Truex Jr.

Well, I was at the race & I can honestly tell you, the racing was better than what I saw last year. It was close in most aspects, there was even 4 wide attempts at this track. Rough day for any Hendrick driver, every one of them was served a penalty in the pits. A lot of penalties were involved. Felt bad for Larson after the final restart.

Next up, Talladega.

It bugged me when they said that they calculate pit road speed as distance/time instead of via a radar gun, and that a car on the inside essentially has to go slower because the distance is smaller. Why don't they just use direct speed measurements (and have speedometers in the cars)?

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

2 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

It bugged me when they said that they calculate pit road speed as distance/time instead of via a radar gun, and that a car on the inside essentially has to go slower because the distance is smaller. Why don't they just use direct speed measurements (and have speedometers in the cars)?

Radar guns are like all technology: Not everyone is accurate and has the same speed for the same object.

In science/Physics, speed IS distance over time, and that's indisputable! 

43 minutes ago, Needschat said:

Radar guns are like all technology: Not everyone is accurate and has the same speed for the same object.

In science/Physics, speed IS distance over time, and that's indisputable! 

Sure, but when the distance isn't the same, the numbers are inaccurate all the same.

IUe6Hvh.png

21 hours ago, See Red said:

Sure, but when the distance isn't the same, the numbers are inaccurate all the same.

Nothing in the supposed rule book says that things have to be equal.  Drivers need to adjust.

On 4/30/2017 at 9:09 AM, mr.nascar13 said:

Somewhat related, but Alan Bestwick and Dr. Jerry Punch were two of the 100 ESPN employees laid off the other day. Both Doc and Bestwick stayed with ESPN when NASCAR left the network, covering college football and the IndyCar series. 

Hopefully they get picked up soon. Both have experience both in the booth and in the pits, and have great and recognizable voices. Bestwick has experience with NBC and MRN, while Doc would be a great fit as a medical analyst for the series if he doesn't find his way back to the live broadcasts.

Both Bestwick and Punch signed contracts in 2014 (Bestwick in February; Punch in December).  They may still be on payroll through the duration, but just not work.  There are also no compete clauses for most talent which prevent them from going elsewhere.  Or as Ed Werder said, those who get new jobs cannot "double dip".

Apparently if I want to continue being paid by ESPN for the duration of my contract, they will not allow me to work in television or other media without risking all that they owe me—except for the podcast, which I had gotten clearance in advance on.

Source: http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/edwerder.html

Results from Talladega:

1. Stenhouse Jr.

2. McMurray

3. Kyle Busch

4. Almirola

5. Kahne

6. Kurt Busch

7. Keselowski

8. Johnson

9. Menard

10. Ragan

Stage 1 winner: Keselowski
Stage 2 winner: Hamlin

Wow, what a final lap. Stenhouse  going toe to toe with Kyle Busch, McMurray coming from the middle. Stenhouse Jr. getting his first victory in the Monster series & Jack Roush ends a 101 win less streak. Junior survived 2 wrecks but the big one took out a good amount of potential winners. Talladega didn't disappoint.

Next up, the first night race this season, Kansas.

baltimoreravens.png

Great to see Stenhouse get the win, but I was pulling for Ragan all day.

Why? Because I get to interview him tomorrow morning! ? A top-10 isn't to shabby though.

I thought McMurray was gonna rocket up to the front there at the end, but it's always fun to see a new face in victory lane.

I thought stages would impact the racing as far as crashes were concerned similarly to Daytona, but it was pretty clean and a lot of fun all day. 

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

That was an amazing race right there. The finish, the winner, the Big One. Speaking of the crash, I walked in from a little day trip to Disney (you can do that here - fight me), turned on the TV, and carnage. Chase almost flipped, Logano would've flipped if there wasn't Allmendinger in the way, and Allmendinger did flip. Something to turn on your TV to!

ExJworW.png

Archived