2017 NASCAR Season Thread

rvrdgsfn

3 hours ago, raysox said:

1) They've cycled through a bunch of drivers with decent sponsors. Gase, LaJoie, and Seig all have raced for that team on top of Gaulding. The 83 won't be racing next week fwiw. But also next week we'll have a half Asian, Mexican, African American, and Israeli. Pretty cool.

2) Streaming would be through the local broadcasts, so if you have a TSN subscription, you're in luck. I know Euro posts race recaps on youtube though!

That African-American is replacing a Cuban.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it looks like Jayski is talking about silly season here's some of the possibilities

http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2017/story/_/id/19683162/silly-season-heating-up

- Keselowski staying with Penske (no brainer)

- Kahne leaving Hendrick, possibly Byron or Bowman replacing him

- Kesenth or Bowman replacing Dale Jr.

- Kenseth & Jones swap rides

- Blaney or Menard going to Penske making a 3rd team

- Danica & or Kurt Busch leaving Stewart Haas

- Then there's Carl Edwards

The ones I could see happen, Kahne getting the boot, Blaney going to Penske, Danica calling it a career. I can't see Kenseth go to Hendrick but I could see him swap ride with Erik Jones or retire. There were other rumblings that Kurt could call it a day too. Which could make way for Kyle Larson down the road. It's no secret that Tony would love to have him there.

baltimoreravens.png

28 minutes ago, rvrdgsfn said:

So it looks like Jayski is talking about silly season here's some of the possibilities

http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2017/story/_/id/19683162/silly-season-heating-up

- Keselowski staying with Penske (no brainer)

- Kahne leaving Hendrick, possibly Byron or Bowman replacing him

- Kesenth or Bowman replacing Dale Jr.

- Kenseth & Jones swap rides

- Blaney or Menard going to Penske making a 3rd team

- Danica & or Kurt Busch leaving Stewart Haas

- Then there's Carl Edwards

The ones I could see happen, Kahne getting the boot, Blaney going to Penske, Danica calling it a career. I can't see Kenseth go to Hendrick but I could see him swap ride with Erik Jones or retire. There were other rumblings that Kurt could call it a day too. Which could make way for Kyle Larson down the road. It's no secret that Tony would love to have him there.

Keselowski could be interesting. Back when Kesolowski signed with Penske, didn't Rick Hendrick say something to the effect of "I'll do whatever I have to do to sign him when his Penske contract is up?" I know Hendrick really wanted Keselowski back then, but they didn't have anywhere to put him because HMS had just signed Kahne. Considering Keselowski's and Kahne's career trajectories since then, I'd guess that Rick Hendrick would still love a shot at signing Keselowski - especially now that Jr. is retiring. 

Carl Edwards in the 5 car wouldn't be a bad move at all. I hope Danica doesn't call it a day. I'd still like to see what she could do with top line equipment. It's not like Stewart-Haas is junk, but they aren't quite HMS or JGR either. This is just wishful thinking, but I'd love to see Danica in the 5 car. 

BB52Big.jpg

Ah, silly season; my third favorite time of the year behind Christmas and Speedweeks.

Think about this: The last time the 5 car was competitive each and every week was Mark's first season with the team in 2009, when he collected 5 wins, 7 poles, and finished 2nd to Johnson in the standings. For Kasey Kahne, his most recent "competitive" season came in 2012, finishing 4th in the points. 

This team has showed promise in the past. However, once the new wears off after the first season, nothing is the same. If the trend continues, the new driver of the 5 will have a great first year, but not so much afterwards. 

Paul Menard hasn't impressed me at all his entire career, but he hasn't been in the best equipment either. Maybe a move to Penske or the Wood Bros. would help, but with only one win under his belt, I'd rather have Blaney who has proved he can compete everywhere he goes. 

Although unlikely, my dream scenario would be Menard to the 10, bringing some much-needed sponsorship along with him, and Kurt retiring after 2018, opening the door for Larson to the 41. A move by Menard to Stewart/Haas would open the door for Ty Dillon to join his brother Austin in the Childress stable.

I've already made my stance on the Hendrick situation clear in the past: Byron and Bowman to the 5 and 88. Who goes to which car, I couldn't care less about honestly. 

A Jones/Kenseth swap would be interesting. Jones would be reunited with Xfinity teammate, Daniel Suarez, and would also give the Gibbs organization a balance of experienced vets (Busch & Hamlin) and young talent (Suarez and Jones). 

I could go on forever with this. Each domino that falls causes a dozen others to fall. This doesn't even take into account Cole Custer, Germain Racing, or the other smaller teams.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

The waste of Kahne's prime is straight up depressing. This year started so optimistic, then returned to level, then he would get caught up in someone else's business or a part would fail. He had  a legitimate shot to win Daytona but ran out of fuel going into 3. Pocono the brakes failed, Texas he was around 10th after starting in the back and an axle broke, and he had an issue that cause him to crash at Charlotte, and finally getting blindsided at Dover on the last restart and making a top 10 go to about 20th because he was like the furthest back of the wrecked cars when they were done.

I'm an optimist, and I know he has been running better, and moves up a bunch when the setup gets tuned. Add like 60 points from those DNFs and he's right near the cut off for non-winners. It's just one of those things where you have to have a little luck, and he hasn't had any for the last few years. It seems like such a cop out, but man, it's frustrating. He has been doing great at plate tracks, runs well at Richmond, and has a win at Sonoma. So hopefully he gets a break and can sneak a win.

I feel like he'll gladly step away to focus on his son and dirt team before he runs for a mid pack organization, but I digress. 

What I would like to see:

Wood Brothers 21

Current Driver: Ryan Blaney

Next Season Driver: Ryan Blaney

They've got a good thing going. If it ain't broke don't fix it

Hendrick 5

Current Driver: Kasey Kahne

Next Season Driver: Matt Kenseth

Bring Matt in as a bridge for William Byron.

Hendrick 88

Current Driver: Dale Earnhardt Jr

Next Season Driver: Kyle Larson, but probably Alex Bowman

Hopefully Hendrick will realize Bowman has the potential and doesn't skip over him, but if he did I'd like to see him pry Larson away from Ganassi.

Ganassi 42

Current Driver: Kyle Larson

Next Season Driver: Probably Larson, but if Hendrick gets Larson then Kasey Kahne until an Xfinity Driver develops

More rumblings from Jayski....

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/19690600/nascar-2017-silly-season-update-brad-keselowski-matt-kenseth-kurt-busch-danica-patrick

- Stewart Haas could go after Almirola or Bubba Wallace if Patrick or Kurt Busch leaves

- Kurt Busch or Kasey Kahne could go to Furniture Row

- Menard could go to Wood Brothers if Blaney moves to a 3rd Penske team

- Ty Dillon goes to RCR

-  Still more rumblings about a possibility of Keselowski going to Hendrick but Penske is "very close" to resigning him.

-"What about Carl?" (face it, he's not coming back, IMO.)

baltimoreravens.png

8 hours ago, Justin7218 said:

Kurt has raced a bunch of numbers. Six to be exact. Probably more than any other current top driver.

97, 2, 22, 51, 78, 41

It would actually be cool to see a graphic of all the cars/numbers current drivers have driven

Results from Sonoma

1. Harvick

2. Bowyer

3. Keselowski

4. Hamlin

5. Kyle Busch

6. Earnhardt Jr.

7. Kurt Busch

8. Elliott

9. Blaney

10. McMurray

Stage 1 winner: Truex Jr.

Stage 2 winner: Johnson

Never a dull moment on a road course. This was just all around awesome racing. Larson & Treux Jr had some rotten luck. & Little E in the top 10 & Harvick gets his first win in Sonoma.

Next up, NBC & Daytona

baltimoreravens.png

Once again, AJ's luck was god-awful at Sonoma. Was too aggressive and got into the marbles at Turn 11, giving damage to Larson and Bowyer. He managed to recover before a battery died and killed any semblance of a salvageable run for him.

Wake me when they get to Watkins Glen.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

First half ratings were not good at all, even with stage racing and lots of different winners.

http://awfulannouncing.com/ratings/foxfs1-ends-2017-nascar-season-yet-another-ratings-low.html

Fox Sports has ended another NASCAR season and it continued its theme for 2017 finishing with another ratings low. The Monster Energy NASCAR Cup race at Sonoma on FS1 Sunday finished with a 2.0 final rating and 3.2 million viewers. That’s down 17% in ratings and viewership from last year (2.4/3.9 million).

That’s the lowest rating for the race dating back to 1998 and lowest viewership since 2002. Sports Media Watch points out that when the race aired on TNT in 2012, Sonoma had a 3.3 rating and 5.2 million viewers. For the season, Fox/FS1’s 15 Cup races either set or tied a multi-year ratings low. Twelve races set or tied multi-year viewership lows.

Archived