2017 NASCAR Season Thread

rvrdgsfn

4 minutes ago, raysox said:

People forget that a Chevy is leading the points and have 4 of the top 10, vs 3 each by the other teams

Dodge, I'll believe it when I see it. They are still in Xfinity however.
article-2333049-1A0E9351000005DC-618_634

The top for chevy is very strong but once you get out of the top 4 drivers you don't have another chevy until 17th. Losing SHR was a real blow to chevy. Not saying everything would be equal if they stayed but if you made it where they were still chevy you would have 6 in the top ten, and 9 drivers currently in the chase (could be wrong the page I was looking at didn't show wins). 

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, dont care said:

I'd love to see Matt Kenneth go back to roushe to retire there, maybe bring dewalt with him and run his championship paint scheme for a final going away year. A man can dream

I'm pretty confident I saw something on Twitter that Roush had no plans to expand next season, so that not going to happen for 2018, and I'm fairly confident it won't at all. Remember, Chris Buescher was supposed to be in the 37 for one year on loan from Roush, but if they're not expanding, then he's still at JTG. 

The more and more I think about it, Matt going to the 88 isn't a bad idea. Although it would be weird for me personally, as I always saw Matt and Jimmie Johnson as respectable rivals, especially in Kenseth's prime years at Roush. 

Assuming Kenseth goes to the 88, who takes the 77? It seems to be a decent ride considering how well Jones has done, and the equipment is top-notch as seen with Truex Jr.'s dominance. JGR has Matt Tifft and Christopher Bell in the ranks, but neither seem ready at all to make that jump. 

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Why would Hendrick hire Kenseth for one year?  He has Alex Bowman testing and is perfectly capable to take over the 88.  He also is a Mt Dew drinker!  Kenseth hold the 88/25 for one year until William Byron is ready?  Would the 88 sponsors be willing to hold on?  And what happens to the 5 when Kahne's gone after the 2018 season?

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

On 7/11/2017 at 9:02 PM, DNAsports said:

5- William Byron

24- Chase Elliott

48- Jimmie Johnson

88 (or 25)- Alex Bowman

That's a damn good driver line up for Hendrick.

It's also a young and mostly inexperienced lineup too. Johnson would obviously be the leader of the team like he is now, but Chase would then be the second-most experienced driver on the team. Right now he's still sort of learning from the veterans of the team despite driving like them and has come close to several wins since last season. 

I believe Kenseth will hop in the 88 for a one-year deal, Bowman drives the 5, and Byron comes into the 88 in 2019. If I was Hendrick, I would ask Matt to drive a couple Xfinity Series races with Byron to develop him even further and maybe bring Byron up to a 5th car at the Cup level for a couple races just like they did with Chase in 2015.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other driver news, NBC Sports made a great point today regarding Petty Motorsports. Right now, they are currently leasing a charter to #32 GoFas Racing and Matt DiBenedetto. . According to NBC Sports, a team can only lease a charter once every five years, with this year being that year. GoFas does have the option of buying the charter after this season, but if for some reason they don't or are unable to financially, RPM would get that charter back and could field a second car again.

Where am I going with this? Richard Petty told NBC Sports that he was impressed with Bubba Wallace's performance while filling in for the injured Aric Almirola and said he would like to have him back if another ride opened up for him. 

I could definitely see this happening. Bubba is a great personality to have on the track and improved every week driving the 43. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One last thing before I go. There's one ride that no one seems to want to mention and that is the #5 in the Xfinity Series. Compared to teammates William Byron, Justin Allgaier, and Elliott Sadler, what has Michael Annett done other than bring Pilot/Flying J to JR Motorsports? He currently sits at the bottom of the Top 10 in series points, which is like someone being 20th in the Cup standings. His luck is almost as bad as Kasey Kahne's except Kahne has had some bright spots this season with Daytona this month being one (before he was taken out). If Kahne stays one more year at Hendrick, I could see Alex Bowman come on full-time in the 5 next season in the Xfinity series.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Again, why should a manufacturer spend $100+M in startup costs for a team(s)?

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2017/07/nascar-ratings-down-nbcsn-kentucky-record-low-viewership/

NASCAR Cup Series racing from Kentucky earned a 1.6 final rating and 2.7 million viewers on NBCSN Saturday night, down 16% in ratings and 15% in viewership from last year (1.9, 3.2M) and down 20% and 16% respectively from 2015 (2.0, 3.2M).

Martin Truex Jr.‘s win was the lowest rated and least-watched edition of the Kentucky race, first run in 2011.

Kentucky was the 14th of 17 Cup Series races this year to at least tie an all-time or decade-plus ratings low, and the 12th to do so in viewership. Dating back to last year’s Kentucky race, 29 of 32 Cup Series races have posted declines. 27 of those have at least tied an all-time or decade-plus ratings low, and 25 have done so in viewership.

5 hours ago, rvrdgsfn said:

Well, if a new manufacture comes in.... It won't be Dodge...

http://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/12471/dodge-wont-return-to-nascar

Here's hoping for Honda or Nissan as a possibility.

Why?  Seriously, why?

Why should Nissan do this? Their 2017-23 midterm plan isn't public yet (Power 88 was the plan which just ended which you can look up). And I doubt a Renault-badged Mitsubishi is going to be the choice. Nissan sees the future in EVs.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170410/OEM02/304109954/new-nissan-boss-puts-focus-on-2-trouble-spots?X-IgnoreUserAgent=1&X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

11 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Why?  Seriously, why?

Why should Nissan do this? Their 2017-23 midterm plan isn't public yet (Power 88 was the plan which just ended which you can look up). And I doubt a Renault-badged Mitsubishi is going to be the choice. Nissan sees the future in EVs.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170410/OEM02/304109954/new-nissan-boss-puts-focus-on-2-trouble-spots?X-IgnoreUserAgent=1&X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

33d.jpg

In other non-manufacturer news, RCR seems to be preparing for Paul Menard's departure, scaling back to a two-car team.

http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2017/story/_/id/20019361/childress-go-back-two-car-team

Also, meet the new President of NASCAR, Brent Dewar.

http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2017/story/_/id/19996747/nascar-promotes-brent-dewar-president

2 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Lets see who could replace Dodge...

Honda?

Nissan?

Hyundai?

Cadillac?

Volkswagen?

Kia?

Suzuki?

Jaguar?

Buick?

Mitsubishi?

I can probably knock a few off

Buick/Cadillac don't make sense. They're GM brands. GM is already represented by Chevy, so there's no need for another one.

Suzuki doesn't sell cars in the USA, so they can be knocked off this list.

Mitsubishi doesn't seem to sell a midsize car in the USA, so that's another one to knock off.

As far as other brands, Hyundai has the Sonata and Subaru has the Legacy. Both brands have rally divisions, so that could be an interesting crossover. If you have Hyundai, there's no need for KIA.

My best bets would be Honda with the Accord, Nissan with the Altima, the Hyundai Sonata, or even VW with the Passat. Honda, I think, would be the most likely.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

11 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Honda is probably the front runner, but my gut says VW could be a sleeper.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

VW could also use the Audi brand if they wanted to, as Audi has a very good tradition in Le Mans-type racing. The A6 is the model that fits in the midsize class.

Changing subjects, great job by Ryan Preece in the Xfinity race finishing 2nd, one of SIX cars that finished on the lead lap.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Honda or Subaru make the jump to NASCAR.

With Paul Menard, I know he's a middle of the pack driver, but I hope he finds a good ride if (when) he's let go by RCR. I've liked him ever since his days at DEI.

I was never a fan of his, I have always thought the only reason he has a ride is because of his dads company. Yes if he wasn't alittle but talented he wouldn't have made it to cup, but his dad made it about 100 times easier when he has a sponsor just attached to his name alone.

Archived