2017 NASCAR Season Thread

rvrdgsfn

3 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

I have a couple of problems with sports car racing that I think prevent it from truly breaking through.

1) The cars don't have clearly-labeled numbers on the sides the way NASCAR cars do. That hurts fans' ability to identify the cars.

2) The mixed-class racing. When you have four races going on at once, it makes it damn near impossible to follow what's actually going on in the race.

The second point isn't much of an issue since they added the realtime placement numbers to the cars.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/22/2017 at 2:14 PM, See Red said:

Wait, they're doing segments? Welp, I might just be done with NASCAR this year.

Bye then.

After sifting through all of the information and re-watching the one-minute SparkNotes version of the new race formatting, I, personally, love the idea. I talked about the new formatting during my radio show* today and said that I believe it will create some exciting racing this season. Here's why I believe it will be a good thing:

1) Increased strategy, as you'll have guys coming in or staying out to pit at the end of the first two segments. Not sure how much it will impact the end of the races, but the overall racing within the race will be improved as drivers will be racing to the segments and not "We have 200 laps left? I'll just hang out here until then."

2) Rare winners. This is based off the strategy point, but I think crew chiefs will be playing that strategy hard, giving guys like Jamie McMurray, Chase Elliott, Ryan Blaney, etc. up front a little more often. I believe we'll have some first time winners this season (Yes, winnersssssssssssss), with Daytona & Talladega being the most likely places with the draft and all.

Overall, I'm looking forward to it. People complained about the previous version of the Chase/Playoff and it turned out to be pretty good. Flawed? A little, but it made for some pretty good action throughout the season. This just extends that into each race. I say bring it on.

*-Tune in to WMCO 90.7 - New Concord on Wednesdays from 12 to 2, as I discuss anything and everything having to do with the world of NASCAR at the 40-minute mark in both hours. Find it on orbitmediaonline.com, our WMCO App, or TuneIn Radio.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

My #1 complaint with the changes is, to me, that they still failed to address one major problems... Race length.

With two, 10-minute segment breaks, they instantly added 20 minutes to a race/broadcast which is already far too long and that's BEFORE taking into account cautions.

54 minutes ago, dont care said:

Doesn't that make it worse?

Not at all. Car goes by and you can instantly tell what place it's in. Only thing you have to figure out is which class its in, which is very easy for the Prototypes as they're either in the spec Challenge class or they're not. For the GT cars it's a little harder at first glance but they color the numbers depending on the class so it's not that much harder.

Indycar was smart and adopted the same real time placement number scheme on their cars as well.

3 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

My #1 complaint with the changes is, to me, that they still failed to address one major problems... Race length.

With two, 10-minute segment breaks, they instantly added 20 minutes to a race/broadcast which is already far too long and that's BEFORE taking into account cautions.

That was my thought as well. It's like they didn't like the side by side ads or something, even though they work beautifully to get ad time in but not slow the race down.

Ultimately all this does is add two more artificial opportunities to bunch up the field and have two extra restarts, which they undoubtedly hope will result in more carnage on the track. They've given up on trying to sell NASCAR as a style of racing and are now selling it simply as a spectacle of cars that bump and crash. It's no wonder Edwards retired. I'd want out too. At least Demolition Derbies don't pretend to be something they're not.

10 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Not at all. Car goes by and you can instantly tell what place it's in. Only thing you have to figure out is which class its in, which is very easy for the Prototypes as they're either in the spec Challenge class or they're not. For the GT cars it's a little harder at first glance but they color the numbers depending on the class so it's not that much harder.

Indycar was smart and adopted the same real time placement number scheme on their cars as well.

I mean trying to tell which car is which, ok I know what place they are in but have no idea what car number it is. Say 2 team corvette cars pass each other, you could be at the track and have no idea there was a change between the laps because the cars look pretty much the same but now have lit up numbers in the side telling me they are still in the same positions but on different cars.

5 hours ago, dont care said:

I mean trying to tell which car is which, ok I know what place they are in but have no idea what car number it is. Say 2 team corvette cars pass each other, you could be at the track and have no idea there was a change between the laps because the cars look pretty much the same but now have lit up numbers in the side telling me they are still in the same positions but on different cars.

Well they also have car numbers as well. 

https://goo.gl/images/EnOu5s

10 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Well they also have car numbers as well. 

https://goo.gl/images/EnOu5s

The person that said that two teammates being near each other and looking identical makes it hard to tell which is which, especially if they pass each other. I agree with that.

As far as car numbers

15796037726550446731-680x355.jpg is different from 123.jpg .

The latter has large numbers on the sides and roof of the car, where the former has a small number on the side and that's it. That makes a difference. Also, the sponsor imagery is MUCH larger, making it easier to tell one from the other. In a race where you have 40 cars, you need as much to differentiate them as possible.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

18 hours ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

Ah, I think NASCAR just keeps shooting themselves in the foot.  Take an already crappy points system and make it worse. I think every racing series needs to adopt F1's Point System and be done with it. Simple, and straight to the point.

TBF, NASCAR simplified their points system a few years back in which you'd get 43 points for winning, scaled down to 1 point for finishing last (back when the sport had 43 cars *ahem* "racing" each week).

Add 1 or 5 points for leading a lap, or leading the most; and you have a more simple, easier-to-understand points system then the one we had previously.

Just be thankful we never had to grow up with the downright ludicrous 1950s points system; in which they thought it was a brilliant idea to give drivers fractional points.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

1 hour ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Just be thankful we never had to grow up with the downright ludicrous 1950s points system; in which they thought it was a brilliant idea to give drivers fractional points.

Back in the 1950s F1 used to award a point for the driver who drove the fastest lap of the race, which is an okay idea in principle. It did however lead to the farcical situation at the 1954 British Grand Prix were,  due to the lack of precision in timing systems back then, seven guys tied for the fastest lap, leading to some pretty extreme fractional points.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1954_British_Grand_Prix

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Could this be Carl Edwards' endgame???

US Senate candidate.

http://racing.ap.org/article/nascars-carl-edwards-does-not-rule-out-us-senate-run-18

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Two weeks after his abrupt retirement as a full-time driver in NASCAR, Carl Edwards on Wednesday would not rule out a potential U.S. Senate campaign in his home state of Missouri next year.

Terry Smith, a political science professor at Columbia College, speculated in a Wednesday piece for KBIA's Talking Politics that Edwards will challenge Sen. Claire McCaskill, a Democrat whose second term expires in 2018. Edwards didn't exactly rule it out when reached by The Associated Press.

"I believe firmly in the principles that the U.S. was founded upon," he texted to AP. "If I could help, I definitely would consider it."

Edwards also stressed he has no such plans at the moment, but also quoted Gen. Douglas MacArthur: "No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation." He would almost surely face a difficult primary opponent should he decide to run, though he did not disclose any party affiliation to AP.

7 minutes ago, rvrdgsfn said:

Well, he's won 4 championships, 3 time winner of the Daytona 500, among many other victories. Now he can add the 24 hours of Daytona to the list of accomplishments. Congrats Jeff Gordon & to Wayne Taylor Racing.

I didn't realize Gordon was driving on that team. That said, I watched the last bit of that race, and the commentators pissed me off. They wanted to take away the win from Ricky Taylor because he spun out Felipe Albuquerque. The problem was, Albuquerque was the one that screwed up. He slowed up, went wide, and then tried to block Taylor while Taylor had an inside look. Albuquerque just wasn't clear in order to make that block. That spin wasn't on Taylor, but on Albuquerque.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

• 3 weeks later...

Archived