2017 NASCAR Season Thread

rvrdgsfn

12 hours ago, dfwabel said:

The Eldora ratings have fallen over 50% since the 2013 debut on SPEED.

USMNT will easily get 40% more viewers.

I get that but is fox business in more homes then fs2? Cause fs2 had rodeo on at this time slot.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, dont care said:

In other news Alex bowman has been chosen to drive the 88

This is the right choice. Jr knows it and Hendrick knows it.

I think the "silly season" was waiting for this move to be made and now all the dominos will fall soon.

12 hours ago, lilben777 said:

Ok I get the reason why now, just still odd to a point.

It is odd.  Also, I follow a number of driver and other NASCAR Facebook pages (including NASCAR on Fox and the official NASCAR one) and saw nothing that promoted the Eldora race.  That's not to say there was none, but I somehow missed every mention of it if they did promote it.  This was the case last year as well but I happened to stumble on the race last year when I was looking through the guide and saw it since the Fox Sports channels are near the other sports channels.  If I hadn't set a reminder on my phone for this race two months ago, there's no way I would have stumbled upon it this year with it being on Fox Business.

IUe6Hvh.png

Results form Indianapolis

1. Kahne

2. Keselowski

3. Newman

4. Logano

5. Kenseth

6. Harvick

7. Suarez

8. Dibenedetto

9. Buescher

10. Allmendinger

Stage 1 & 2 winner: Kyle Busch

It seemed like another runaway for Kyle Busch until Truex Jr. got loose & the two contenders were out! It looked like anyone could win it after that. The one lone Hendrick car, survives. A total of 14 cautions, multiple red flags, this was by far the craziest Brickyard 400 I've ever seen. This was an interesting weekend in Indianapolis, especially with how close the Xfinity finish was.

Next up, back to Pocono

baltimoreravens.png

10 hours ago, dont care said:

That possibly ruins my idea of Hendricks dropping kahne. It would be really awkward to do it now.

I'm pretty sure there have been a few times where a driver was in the hot seat, won a race, and was still dropped by the team at season's end.

13 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I'm pretty sure there have been a few times where a driver was in the hot seat, won a race, and was still dropped by the team at season's end.

That was before winning got you an automatic spot in the playoffs, yes they could still drop him but now the wait will need to be longer to get the win forgotten.

From my vantage point watching the race on TV; I was convinced Kahne did not reach the overtime line in time. I still kind of think that. I think NASCAR just said "Screw it; we've been doing this for 6 hours now, and it's getting dark."

But, that's just me. Good to see both AJ and Chris nab Top 10s. Been a very forgettable season for both. (And for AJ; that's been the song and dance for the past few years.)

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Just now, buckeye said:

Right there with ya. Seemed like he'd never win again...

I'm an optimist but it's been ROUGH. I know two of my Kahne friends had given up but I was holding out hope since he's ran /good/ in practice and some races but things don't fall his way. He was in the top 10 all the first stage at New Hampshire, pitted with Truex and Larson and missed the setup and raced lower than 25th the rest of the race. Hope he can build off of it. He's won at Pocono, Michigan, Bristol, and is always good at Richmond. This could be a good stretch for the 5.

To follow up on the caution line controversy, it was just one of those things. I don't think Kasey really was advantageous of it. In the last 10 laps he won the race 3 times and lost it once. Had they gone the distance, Kasey wins after the 3 wide Johnson crash. If they count the first restart with Kasey getting shoved by Hamlin and the resulting pileup, I think Brad wins. Then finally he wins on the one with the restart line, which was opposed to trying to clean the track and ending the race due to light. He definitely deserved to win after 3 near perfect restarts, especially as a driver who suuuuucks on restarts.

Yeah the 3:30 start is the first issue, that's an NBC thing. I feel like the with the Gen7 car they need to cut the rulebook in half and cut about 2 inches off the sides and front of the car and let them go. It sucks how much inconsistency there is, and I know a lot of fans aren't happy about it. I was at my girlfriend's house and there was mass confusion on the Johnson crash cause I thought it was a GWC but I guess a 2 to go restart didn't count as that. I think I'd be fine if they ditched GWC all together just because it always results in bitching. I was at the Logano/Dale Jr restart debacle at Talladega and that's the reason they have the restart line, and Junior Nation was not having it. If I remember, Dale and the driver council was a big part of writing the rule. The intention was there but it's just not worth the complaininging. I think the caution light delay we saw at the Texas truck race was part of the finish.

Lots went wrong and it was mostly NASCAR's fault. Imagine how different the narrative would have been if Larson didn't get taken out and the last 10 laps went green. It's all hindsight at this point.

1 hour ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

But, that's just me. Good to see both AJ and Chris nab Top 10s. Been a very forgettable season for both. (And for AJ; that's been the song and dance for the past few years.)

I also like seeing DiBenedetto get his 3rd career top ten, and 2nd this year. It's great to see small teams do well. DiBenedetto is a talented dude that I'm convinced would do great things on a big team.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

2 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

From my vantage point watching the race on TV; I was convinced Kahne did not reach the overtime line in time. I still kind of think that. I think NASCAR just said "Screw it; we've been doing this for 6 hours now, and it's getting dark."

That's most definitely what happened. There have been plenty of times races wins have been handed to drivers due to late cautions being called. It never really bothers me when this happens (unless it involves Jr on the wrong end of it)

Archived