2017 NASCAR Season Thread

rvrdgsfn

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So lets see whats open right now

SHR #41, Hendrick #5, RCR #27 is reportedly back

Potentially open is the #77, #10, maybe the #13 if Dillon goes and races with Grandpa. Kasey could slot in with SHR pretty nicely with his partner in crime Bowyer and Stewart having his back. Hendrick could do a year with Kenseth or Busch if they bring the cash before switching to Byron. Hell, maybe GMS jumps to Cup like they reportedly want to and pick up a veteran? it all comes down to sponsorship, of course and that's why these guys are free agents. RPM supposedly wants Bubba full time, which could take care of itself.

6 hours ago, raysox said:

So lets see whats open right now

SHR #41, Hendrick #5, RCR #27 is reportedly back

Potentially open is the #77, #10, maybe the #13 if Dillon goes and races with Grandpa. Kasey could slot in with SHR pretty nicely with his partner in crime Bowyer and Stewart having his back. Hendrick could do a year with Kenseth or Busch if they bring the cash before switching to Byron. Hell, maybe GMS jumps to Cup like they reportedly want to and pick up a veteran? it all comes down to sponsorship, of course and that's why these guys are free agents. RPM supposedly wants Bubba full time, which could take care of itself.

The only officially open cars are the 5, 27 (since Menard is going to the 21), and the 77 (with Jones going to the 20), as far as I know. SHR hasn't announced anything, to my knowledge, of not continuing with Patrick of Busch, nor has Germain said anything about Ty Dillon.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

48 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Kasey Kahne to 13

Ty Dillon to 27

Somebody... Anybody as a bridge driver to 5 before Bryon gets the ride

Can I float something interesting?

I wouldn't be surprised if RCR makes some kind of deal with Circle Sport to swap the 27 for the 33. Ty runs the 3 in the Xfinity series. I think there would be some kind of symmetry to have RCR have Austin in the 3, and Ty in the 33.

Just a thought I just had.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

14 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

The only officially open cars are the 5, 27 (since Menard is going to the 21), and the 77 (with Jones going to the 20), as far as I know. SHR hasn't announced anything, to my knowledge, of not continuing with Patrick of Busch, nor has Germain said anything about Ty Dillon.

So it was reported, SHR tweeted that they haven't made a decision, then said they weren't picking up Kurt's option
https://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2017/8/5/16102526/kurt-busch-uncertain-returning-stewart-haas-racing-2018-free-agent

Byron is rumored to the 5, apparently

EDIT
Just as I post this post
https://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2017/8/8/15990972/william-byron-replace-kasey-kahne-hendrick-motorsports-2018-season

Barney Vasser of Furniture Row Racing said this

Reportedly, Hendrick is working with Kahne about riding in Hendrick equipment for another team. The name I've heard several times is GMS Racing. Who? Owned by the guy who owns Allegiant Air. Maury Gallagher's son Spencer runs full time Xfinity, and they have a 2nd car Ben Kennedy runs part time. They also own Sauter's championship winning truck. Rumored last month that they may move to Cup with Hendrick backing. 

Lots of connecting the dots but it does make a lot of sense, whether it's 1 or 2 cars.

1 hour ago, raysox said:

Barney Vasser of Furniture Row Racing said this

Reportedly, Hendrick is working with Kahne about riding in Hendrick equipment for another team. The name I've heard several times is GMS Racing. Who? Owned by the guy who owns Allegiant Air. Maury Gallagher's son Spencer runs full time Xfinity, and they have a 2nd car Ben Kennedy runs part time. They also own Sauter's championship winning truck. Rumored last month that they may move to Cup with Hendrick backing. 

Lots of connecting the dots but it does make a lot of sense, whether it's 1 or 2 cars.

I've heard the same for Kahne, looks like that team has the money to come up, so I'd almost count on this being a done deal.

My guess is GMS picks up eitger the 23 team's charter from BK Racing or the 77 charter if they do come up to Cup level. I think it's way too early for Gallagher to make the jump to Cup, so Kasey would be a great fit for a new team.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

This was just announced...

http://www.nascar.com/news-media/2017/08/09/xfinity-series-teams-to-have-flange-fit-composite-body-option-in-17-full-time-by-19/

NASCAR XFINITY Series teams will have the option of using a flange-fit composite body at three races later this season as the series moves toward incorporating the body into competition full-time by 2019.

XFINITY Series director Wayne Auton told NASCAR.com that teams will have the option of running the composite body at Richmond, Dover and Phoenix this year, and it is expected to also be optional for ’18 at all tracks other than superspeedways.

Unlike steel bodies which are welded to the chassis, composite bodies are bolted via bracing onto the chassis and can be removed and replaced much easier.

Saves labor & money. Just as long as the cars don't end up looking like the CoT than I have no quarrels with it.

baltimoreravens.png

15 hours ago, rvrdgsfn said:

This was just announced...

http://www.nascar.com/news-media/2017/08/09/xfinity-series-teams-to-have-flange-fit-composite-body-option-in-17-full-time-by-19/

Saves labor & money. Just as long as the cars don't end up looking like the CoT than I have no quarrels with it.

So they are basically doing what V8 Supercars have been doing for years, even before they introduced their "car of the future" chassis in 2013.

2 hours ago, mr.nascar13 said:

Chevy going with the Camaro for Cup 

Im actually surprised at this, the SS was gone for good and I presumed the Malibu would be the frontrunner.

Wonder if Ford will promote the Mustang or keep the Fusion.

5 hours ago, mr.nascar13 said:

Chevy going with the Camaro for Cup 

My initial thought....

I love that Chevy is going with the Camaro, this came out of nowhere. I was expecting the Malibu to be honest. The comparison looks pretty good!
2018-Chevrolet-Camaro-ZL1-NASCAR-Cup-race-car-with-production-car-1024x679.thumb.jpg.b5d69466694368d45c924e4718adfa21.jpg

2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Im actually surprised at this, the SS was gone for good and I presumed the Malibu would be the frontrunner.

Wonder if Ford will promote the Mustang or keep the Fusion.

I think within 2 or 3 years though, I think we'll see the mustang come to cup, possibly see Toyota either putting in the 86 or the long rumored Supra up there.

I think the muscle car wars in cup are about to begin.

baltimoreravens.png

The Camaro race car looks super sleek. I just wonder if Ford is going to follow and promote the Mustang from Xfinity.

Toyota doesn't really "have" a muscle car, and with their on-going Takata airbag scandal; I don't think they really should pour money, time and manpower into developing a muscle car simply because "Chevy and Ford have one; why don't we?"

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

2 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

The Camaro race car looks super sleek. I just wonder if Ford is going to follow and promote the Mustang from Xfinity.

Toyota doesn't really "have" a muscle car, and with their on-going Takata airbag scandal; I don't think they really should pour money, time and manpower into developing a muscle car simply because "Chevy and Ford have one; why don't we?"

Takata has zero to do with anything. Toyota is the NASCAR manufacturer not selling assets, unlike GM shedding their Opel/Vauxhall. They've got money.

As others have stated, Toyota and BMW are collaborating for a Supra/Z4 roadster for 2018.

Archived