2017 NASCAR Season Thread

rvrdgsfn

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Also, was anyone aware there was such a thing as a driver rating in NASCAR, much like a QBR in the NFL?

I always kind of thought there was some kind of "Tier" System like in terms of Fantasy QBs.

Tier 1 (Must Start): Truex, Keselowski, Jimmie, Larson, Ky. Busch, Chase Elliott

Tier 2 (Good Start): Blaney, Ku. Busch, Hamlin, Logano, Junior

Tier 3 (Average Start): E. Jones, Newman, Bowyer, Stenhouse

Tier 4 (Sketchy): Kahne, Menard

Tier 5 (Luck Be With You): Everyone else not mentioned (ie. Allmendinger, DiBurrito, Buescher, Bayne, etc.)

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

That's a pretty dirty move by Austin Cindric. Though I guess that's kind of what racing is when you get down to it. Just look at Dale Sr.

Shame for Kaz Grala though, one of the few Truck guy I try to follow. Mostly because he's a hometown kid. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

Results from Darlington:

1. Hamlin

2. Kyle Busch

3. Kurt Busch

4. A. Dillon

5. Jones

6. Kenseth

7. Newman

8. Truex Jr.

9. Harvick

10. McMurray

Stage 1 & 2 Winner: Truex Jr.

Hamlin managed to catch Truex with a blown tire, manages to sweep Darlington especially after a costly mistake. I really thought that the caution was gonna come out when Truex blew the tire. However, Truex Jr. did win the regular season championship tonight.

Next up: Richmond for the regular season finale.

baltimoreravens.png

18 hours ago, ozzyman314 said:

That's a pretty dirty move by Austin Cindric. Though I guess that's kind of what racing is when you get down to it. Just look at Dale Sr.

Shame for Kaz Grala though, one of the few Truck guy I try to follow. Mostly because he's a hometown kid. 

I actually know Kaz Grala, and he's a really nice guy (and a really good driver). Shame that this had to happen to him.

ExJworW.png

2 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I actually know Kaz Grala, and he's a really nice guy (and a really good driver). Shame that this had to happen to him.

Having just seen this in this video, it looked like Cindric could've gone around Grala cleanly.

That said, Cindric has acquitted himself well in the last couple of road course races he's had, including his debut Xfinity race. I think he's going to be very good in those types of races for the very long-term future.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

On 9/2/2017 at 5:57 PM, mr.nascar13 said:

Subway abruptly ends it's sponsorship with Daniel Suarez:

http://jeffgluck.com/daniel-suarez-subway-sponsorship-joe-gibbs-racing/

Here's an update on the Subway situation. Seems like they were looking around at other teams, and found an excuse to leave.

Now I hope Dunkin Donuts comes on just because of this.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

If it's not lug nut violations, it's illegal cars.

Can't anyone race fair?

People have been whining their :censored: off this season because they're claiming Toyota's are "mysteriously faster, better, stronger, etc." than their competition. And this fiasco with Hamlin is only arming those kinds of people with more ammo.

We need another manufacturer to tip the power balance away from Toyota and make it at least LOOK fairer than it is.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

32 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

If it's not lug nut violations, it's illegal cars.

Can't anyone race fair?

People have been whining their :censored: off this season because they're claiming Toyota's are "mysteriously faster, better, stronger, etc." than their competition. And this fiasco with Hamlin is only arming those kinds of people with more ammo.

We need another manufacturer to tip the power balance away from Toyota and make it at least LOOK fairer than it is.

Let's face facts: Joe Gibbs Racing IS a Toyota factory team!  As is Furniture Row.  Their engines come directly from TRD, the racing wing of Toyota.  And now Jimmy Makar, senior vice president of racing operations at Joe Gibbs Racing, blaming "wear and tear and NASCAR's post-race inspection process."  As I've said, "You don't need to have worked on a cattle ranch to know bull***t when you see it."

NASCAR won't come down any heavier on Toyota than "necessary" because they fear they'll leave, like Subway.  No, it's time for NASCAR to take away wins and fine more heavily, like 7 figures for second offenses. 

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

1 hour ago, Needschat said:

Let's face facts: Joe Gibbs Racing IS a Toyota factory team!  As is Furniture Row.  Their engines come directly from TRD, the racing wing of Toyota.  And now Jimmy Makar, senior vice president of racing operations at Joe Gibbs Racing, blaming "wear and tear and NASCAR's post-race inspection process."  As I've said, "You don't need to have worked on a cattle ranch to know bull***t when you see it."

NASCAR won't come down any heavier on Toyota than "necessary" because they fear they'll leave, like Subway.  No, it's time for NASCAR to take away wins and fine more heavily, like 7 figures for second offenses. 

Here's what should happen, IMO:

1) Don't let winning cars do burnouts post-race.

2) Immediately after the race, inspect the top 5 cars, plus another 5 cars at random

3) If a winning car is found to have bent the rules in a way as to cause their win to be encumbered now, then punish severely. You do that by taking the win away and bestowing it on the next car (if it's clean) and not allowing that team to qualify next week, as well as suspending crew chief and heavy fines.

4) Teams are not allowed to touch cars post-race until all necessary inspections are done, nor are they allowed to leave the track. A team that does that is DQ'd.

In this case, you'd inspect the 11, 18, 41, 3, and 77, plus 5 other random cars. Then, you'd take away the 11's win and give it to the 18 (if he ends up clean). If the 18 isn't clean, then same penalties as the 11 and move the win to the 41, and so on. The 11 would then be forced to start from the rear next week.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Results from Richmond:

1.Larson

2. Logano

3. Newman

4. Kurt Busch

5. Hamlin

6. Jones

7. Suarez

8. Johnson

9. Kyle Busch

10. Elliott

Stage 1 winner: Kyle Busch

Stage 2 winner: Truex Jr.

It may have not been the craziest race but it was a very intense race regardless. It was good racing altogether. Truex Jr. almost had the race but Larson had a really good car that night & the unfortunate bump with Hamlin. Kenseth, McMurray & Elliott make the playoffs, we officially have our 16, plus a side note, look how gigantic the trophy looks!

GettyImages-845095748.thumb.jpg.404829cdab218fe44e8ae6e52a8116de.jpg

meanwhile, Martin Truex Jr. receives his regular season trophy...

GettyImages-845094114.thumb.jpg.9d4c90eed017a2e5fb7748ba95a7554e.jpg

I still say either Truex Jr., or Larson is my pick to win the playoffs.

Next up, round 1 begins, in Chicago

baltimoreravens.png

Archived