2017 NASCAR Season Thread

rvrdgsfn

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, rvrdgsfn said:

The last 2 news items are linked together. I bet Almirola follows Smithfield and he's the new driver of the #10, unless they change numbers for the car. I could see a 44 to follow suite of the other numbers for the team, but not a real shocker here. Kind of curious what she does at this point, she very well could focus on her new line of clothing and this new healthy living lifestyle she has going to make something big out of it. Not seeing much of an interest of race teams at this point, unless perhaps it's a big MAYBE with open wheel rides.

3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Almirola went with Smithfield Foods to the 10.

I'd like to see Bubba Wallace in the 43.

EDIT: NASCAR America on NBCSN essentially broke the news that Bubba Wallace will be in the 43. Now they'll need to find sponsorship

That's the rub, isn't it? That seems to be much harder to come by these days.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Barney Visser is selling his 77 charter. He says that he believes that a bunch of charters will be on the market, and that if he is able to field the 77, that he could buy someone else's.

Of course, the way things are going, I don't think he'd actually have to buy one in order to run the 77, as no more than 40 cars enter each week anyway. That means that an unchartered 77 would qualify on time every week anyway.

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2017/09/15/furniture-row-racing-selling-no-77-charter

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Results from Chicago:

1. Truex Jr.

2. Elliott

3. Harvick

4. Hamlin

5. Larson

6. Keselowski

7. Logano

8. Johnson

9. Kenseth

10. McMurray

Stage 1 winner: Kyle Busch

Stage 2 winner: Elliott

Despite an early penalty, Truex has continued to show how dominant he has been all season & just basically just conquered the 3rd stage. I still think he will be the car to beat, he's just that good right now. Penalties effected Stenhouse Jr. & Kyle Busch & Chase Elliott won stage 2 & held on to 2nd. I still think it's going to be difficult to catch Truex Jr. though.

Next up New Hampshire

baltimoreravens.png

Next week will be the last September race in New Hampshire, right?  They're replacing it with Las Vegas next year last I heard. 

I'll admit NHMS is one of the most boring & generic tracks, but personally it sucks having only 1 race a season to be able to go to now. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

1 hour ago, ozzyman314 said:

Next week will be the last September race in New Hampshire, right?  They're replacing it with Las Vegas next year last I heard. 

I'll admit NHMS is one of the most boring & generic tracks, but personally it sucks having only 1 race a season to be able to go to now. 

The speedway wants to add a multi-day country music festival to replace the revenue.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

17 hours ago, Michael Bolton said:

With MTJ's consistency, imo he has the championship locked down. Unless, of course, he gets taken out in a massive restart wreck right at the end of the Homestead race...

That's the problem with the "playoff" scenario. He's clearly been the best car all season long. However, if he should blow a tire or get caught in a wreck or just plain have a bad day in the Homestead race, he won't win the Cup. I get that the sport wants to manufacture excitement in the last race, but it comes at the expense of cheapening the championship.

I mean think of it this way. Look what happened to Truex at Richmond. He was leading by 3 seconds until Derrike Cope crashed. That brought the field back together for a restart, then it ended up with Truex being wrecked by simple racing contact with Hamlin. Now, take that same set of circumstances and move it to Homestead. Would it be fair to take the championship away from Truex because of a restart caused by a guy 16 laps down wrecking?

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

4 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

That's the problem with the "playoff" scenario. He's clearly been the best car all season long. However, if he should blow a tire or get caught in a wreck or just plain have a bad day in the Homestead race, he won't win the Cup. I get that the sport wants to manufacture excitement in the last race, but it comes at the expense of cheapening the championship.

I mean think of it this way. Look what happened to Truex at Richmond. He was leading by 3 seconds until Derrike Cope crashed. That brought the field back together for a restart, then it ended up with Truex being wrecked by simple racing contact with Hamlin. Now, take that same set of circumstances and move it to Homestead. Would it be fair to take the championship away from Truex because of a restart caused by a guy 16 laps down wrecking?

I'm honestly hoping something similar happens. Maybe if what happened at Richmond also occurs at Homestead, NASCAR might wake up and consider some changes.

ClAFLDa.png

Just now, Michael Bolton said:

I'm honestly hoping something similar happens. Maybe if what happened at Richmond also occurs at Homestead, NASCAR might wake up and consider some changes.

Oh, I root for chaos like that all the time. I was hoping that Sam Hornish would complete the Xfinity year after he won his road race, as he likely would've gotten enough points to get into the top 30 and qualify for those playoffs. I was also rooting for Billy Johnson to win in the 43 at the road course there so that Petty would have to consider keeping him and making the playoffs with him.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

I know there is a certain SiriusXM NASCAR radio host that asks all the time, "Do you really want a champion clinching with 2 or 3 races to go?" 

My answer would be..YES! When you have a season like Truex has had, HE DESERVES TO BE CHAMPION! This isn't a stick and ball sport where you can settle in on the field one on one in a playoff game. The whole playoff thing doesn't work with non-playoff teams on the field. 

iq5b7nF.png

2 hours ago, jc... said:

I know there is a certain SiriusXM NASCAR radio host that asks all the time, "Do you really want a champion clinching with 2 or 3 races to go?" 

My answer would be..YES! When you have a season like Truex has had, HE DESERVES TO BE CHAMPION! This isn't a stick and ball sport where you can settle in on the field one on one in a playoff game. The whole playoff thing doesn't work with non-playoff teams on the field. 

Exactly. What happens if Jamie McMurray does just enough each round to advance, and then gets lucky in Homestead and wins it all? You'd have the (I think) 9th-best car winning the championship.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Archived