2017 NASCAR Season Thread

rvrdgsfn

Keselowski had a truck ride waiting for him at 20 years old. David Ragan admitted he had many advantages to get into the top levels. Truex's father has a big business that got him into the sport. I'm not saying none of these guys have talent, but they sound like spoiled brats when the rules package doesn't suit what they want. 

iq5b7nF.png

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, dfwabel said:

NASCAR had an issue with how long races run since they're too d@mn long.

So they make changes which cause more wrecks and apparently more red flags.

Genius!

EDIT: In 90 real time minutes, they ran 29 laps and had two red flags.

Just my opinion, but I don't believe the new rules had anything to do with what happened in the Xfinity Race. The rear spoiler was lower which made the cars run looser than usual. Combine that with the weather conditions making the track slicker and a whole bunch of new drivers with, as someone already mentioned, very little drafting experience, and I'm surprised there weren't more wrecks. The problems in that race would have occurred under the old rules too. 

BB52Big.jpg

23 minutes ago, dont care said:

I'm not a fan of the new format. It seems to be taking way longer now, and no where near as exciting. I'm afraid I'm done watching Nascar after this race. It's been a good ~20 year run

What seems to be "taking longer?" Is it because of the red flag? We had red flags before the new rules were implemented. 

BB52Big.jpg

just I feel as though I have watched more of this race under caution vs. green. part of the reason for this is because I believe with the new system drivers lose their mind, and then nascar doesn't want a segment to end in caution so they will red flag it. then the new damage rules of not being able to repair a car in the garage is incredibly dumb. being able to get back on the track and try to get every point possible was what made nascar, so now you just have maybe half the cars out racing.

Results from Daytona:

1. Kurt Busch

2. Blaney

3. Allmendinger

4. Almirola

5. Menard

6. Logano

7. Kahne

8. Waltrip

9. Dibendetto

10. Bayne

Stage 1 Winner: Kyle Busch

Stage 2 Winner: Harvick

Wow, that was a very interesting Daytona 500. I was pulling for Chase, I just wish he had enough fuel to get it done. It was a rough day for the rest of Stewart Haas, Joe Gibbs Racing & Hendrick Motorsports. Lots of wrecks but that's what happens with restrictor plate racing. I didn't think Kurt had enough fuel either but he managed to do it & Tony Stewart finally has his Daytona 500 victory (as an owner)

My feeling on the format, I'm gonna give it some time, I enjoyed it for the most part, it seems that they're trying to race harder to get those points but it will take some time to adjust, I'll have to see how it goes during the season.

Next up, Atlanta.

baltimoreravens.png

I like the stages, but not sold on the damage clock.

15 cars finished with a DNF. Sure, there were a lot of wrecks and damaged cars, but about half of them could've fixed their cars and went back out there with new noses and quarter-panels. 

It may not be as bad at the intermediate tracks as it was today, but I'm a little skeptical on it after Speedweeks.

As for the race itself, it wasn't bad. I enjoyed it. My pick, Harvick, ran fairly well until getting caught up in Jimmie's mess. This just wasn't JJ's Speedweeks.

And Chase... Hoo boy. He's gonna win a couple this year. I can feel it. It's tough to lose one like that. He'll be back. 

On to Atlanta!

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

2 hours ago, mr.nascar13 said:

15 cars finished with a DNF. Sure, there were a lot of wrecks and damaged cars, but about half of them could've fixed their cars and went back out there with new noses and quarter-panels. 

It may not be as bad at the intermediate tracks as it was today, but I'm a little skeptical on it after Speedweeks.

As for the race itself, it wasn't bad. I enjoyed it. My pick, Harvick, ran fairly well until getting caught up in Jimmie's mess. This just wasn't JJ's Speedweeks.

And Chase... Hoo boy. He's gonna win a couple this year. I can feel it. It's tough to lose one like that. He'll be back. 

On to Atlanta!

I agree, the damage clock is my biggest nitpick of the new rules. The Cup race didn't seem to be unusually wild for a restrictor plate race, especially the Daytona 500. There was actually not a big wreck at the end like usual, but that might've been because there were only 17 or so cars on the lead lap. I'm excited to see how the stages play out the rest of the year, especially at the short tracks. I think (and hope) Chase, Larson, and Blaney all pick up at least one win each this year. 

I think the Stages are perfect for tracks where the cars can really get strung out (i.e. Boringfornia and Poco-ohno).

I feel like this race at Daytona is going to be an outlier; it's the 500, and some drivers were unnecessarily aggressive (looking at YOU Jamie Mac).

Also; great run by AJ. Was one of only 5 cars who managed to finish the race without any race damage. Finished 3rd, and carried the banner for his team after Buescher got involved in the Jimmie Johnson wreck.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

So, some thoughts about Chevrolet's replacement for the SS in NASCAR...

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/relevance-will-determine-look-of-new-chevrolet-entry-in-nascar-877165/

Jim Campbell, U.S. vice president of performance vehicles and motorsports for Chevrolet, said the manufacturer is working on its next entry but was not ready to divulge what models were under consideration.

“In general, we want to create relevance in anything we do in motorsports, NASCAR included.

“I think the key word there is just continuing to create relevance between the track and the showroom. We do it in every series. We'll continue to do that going forward with NASCAR.”

Speculation on the new car model has centered on the Impala and the Chevy Malibu, which was also used previously in NASCAR from 1973 to 1983.

Considering the Impala is more than likely going through a mid cycle refresh, I wouldn't be surprised if the Impala comes back, although I would love to see how the Malibu would look.

Meanwhile down in Texas, Eddie Gossage is probably fuming about this....

http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/motor-sports/epstein-steers-talk-idea-nascar-race-cota/Z27K65rP1eiNscJ6JbUseM/

COTA Chairman Bobby Epstein told the American-Statesman recently that he’s interested in pursuing a race for Austin in NASCAR’s top-tier series.

“I’ve had contact with NASCAR officials, and we’ve heard from their fans and drivers,” Epstein said. “Everyone seems to want to be here, so I see no reason why it couldn’t come together.”

“It’s something fans are asking for in droves,” Epstein said. “We hear it, and I’m assuming (NASCAR) hears it, too. They are continuing to tweak their product, looking for new ideas. This would be something different, a change of pace.

“I’d be pretty optimistic it could happen because NASCAR said they want more road courses, more non-ovals. Now that they’ve said that, this is the best one in the country. So if enough fans want them here, I think they’ll be here one day.”

I'm for it if it happens, same with Road America or Mid Ohio or even Virginia International Raceway or Road Atlanta.

baltimoreravens.png

11 hours ago, rvrdgsfn said:

Meanwhile down in Texas, Eddie Gossage is probably fuming about this....

http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/motor-sports/epstein-steers-talk-idea-nascar-race-cota/Z27K65rP1eiNscJ6JbUseM/

COTA Chairman Bobby Epstein told the American-Statesman recently that he’s interested in pursuing a race for Austin in NASCAR’s top-tier series.

“I’ve had contact with NASCAR officials, and we’ve heard from their fans and drivers,” Epstein said. “Everyone seems to want to be here, so I see no reason why it couldn’t come together.”

“It’s something fans are asking for in droves,” Epstein said. “We hear it, and I’m assuming (NASCAR) hears it, too. They are continuing to tweak their product, looking for new ideas. This would be something different, a change of pace.

“I’d be pretty optimistic it could happen because NASCAR said they want more road courses, more non-ovals. Now that they’ve said that, this is the best one in the country. So if enough fans want them here, I think they’ll be here one day.”

I'm for it if it happens, same with Road America or Mid Ohio or even Virginia International Raceway or Road Atlanta.

I think this could open the door for Road America, Mid Ohio, or even Road Atlanta to crack into the schedule. The Cup series needs another road course or two on the schedule, IMO.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

They won't be able to do it for a couple more seasons because of the 5 year agreement with tracks on the schedule now. But, that may be just enough time to get a deal done with the likes of COTA to get on the schedule in the future.

I think COTA is shoulders above any of the other tracks in terms of what I would like to see on the schedule. There just isn't tons that stands out about Road America, Road Atlanta, or Mid Ohio to me. I have raced around those in video games and they just seem somewhat generic and forgettable, and not to mention, a lot further to a large market than COTA is

On 2/26/2017 at 8:28 PM, mr.nascar13 said:

On to Atlanta!

1. Same here. I thought the stages saved us from watching a 40 car train run in circles for two hours. I know some people think the stages were responsible for the number of wrecks, but I'm going to write it off to plate racing at Daytona. (people seem to forget that we've had plenty of wreck filled 500s before this one.) With regard to the damage clock, I like the idea in theory, but there were too many cars that could have gotten back in the race if they'd had even 15 minutes instead of 5. I think we'll see NASCAR tweaking the damage clock rule quite a bit. 

2.  The race ran longer than I would have liked, but overall, I really enjoyed it. I especially enjoyed Kyle Larson showing some serious moves to take the lead towards the end, but I knew he was done when Busch got behind him in the 41 car. I thought Ryan Blaney had a real nice race too. And that Wood Bros. 21 always looks so good. It might be my favorite paint scheme. Anyway, Daytona is in the books and the season is underway. Life is good. 

BB52Big.jpg

20 minutes ago, raysox said:

I think COTA is shoulders above any of the other tracks in terms of what I would like to see on the schedule. There just isn't tons that stands out about Road America, Road Atlanta, or Mid Ohio to me. I have raced around hose in video games and they just seem somewhat generic and forgettable, and not to mention, a lot further to a large market than COTA is

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't like road courses. That being said, if NASCAR is going to add one, COTA is the one to add. 

BB52Big.jpg

Archived