With the roar before the 24 beginning in a couple of days, I'd figure now is a good time to start up a new open wheel discussion. The open wheel saga is still upon us since Mercedes hasn't named a replacement for Nico Rosberg after his unexpected retirement. This truly has been an shocking yet interesting off season but the reports are that Bottas is looking to be the replacement while Massa returns for one more season for Williams.

Plus we have Ganassi switching back to Honda in Indycar while Josef Newgarden is with Penske so it could he Newgarden fighting with fellow teammate & defending series champion Simon Pagenaud could make for a good championship battle.

Then you have the other racing series such as IMSA, WEC, World Challenge etc... Plus with the new GT3 & GT4 cars coming in should make for some really good racing. I'm hoping for a excellent endurance year despite the WEC losing Audi.

baltimoreravens.png

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In rather unsurprising news, the Manor F1 team are in deep financial trouble. It went down to the final race as to who would finish in last place in the constructor's standings between Manor and Sauber. Unfortunately for the British team, Felipe Nasr picked up 2 points in the Brazilian Grand Prix which leapfrogged Sauber ahead of Manor.

This had deep financial implications because the prize money for teams in F1 is based on the constructors standings and is notoriously unfair on the smaller teams. This result is reported to have cost Manor around £10m. Until the revenues are shared more equally, we are always going to have teams living below the breadline and depending on pay drivers and other investors to survive.

Manor Racing enter administration and are on brink of collapse

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

• 2 weeks later...

The worst kept secret in Formula One became official today as Valtteri Bottas has been chosen to replace Nico Rosberg. Felipe Massa will hold off retirement to go back to Williams & Pascal Wehrlein will drive for Sauber.

Plus this is what IndyCar could look like very soon...

phpThumb.jpg

baltimoreravens.png

Bumping for some breaking news.... Uncle Bernie is no longer in charge!

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ecclestone-confirms-chase-carey-has-replaced-him-as-ceo-of-f1-868019/

Bernie Ecclestone has revealed that he has lost his position as the CEO of the Formula 1 Group, and has been replaced by Liberty Media's Chase Carey.

Ecclestone, 86, says he has been offered the title of 'Honorary President', but has acknowledged that he doesn’t know exactly what his role will be.

It’s understood the change will be formally announced on Tuesday, along with the appointments of Ross Brawn and former ESPN man Sean Bratches, who will take up newly created sporting and commercial roles respectively.

“I was deposed today,” Ecclestone told Auto Motor und Sport. “I am simply gone. It's official. I am no longer the leader of the company. My position has been taken by Chase Carey.

IMO, should've left years ago, hopefully Liberty Media will be able to get F1 in the right direction.

baltimoreravens.png

15 hours ago, rvrdgsfn said:

Bernie Ecclestone has revealed that he has lost his position as the CEO of the Formula 1 Group, and has been replaced by Liberty Media's Chase Carey

I guess now we will find out whether Bernie was holding F1 back (as some suspect) or keeping it propped up. There's no doubting what he did for the sport. As you say though, he probably should have moved on a long time ago.

What is encouraging for F1 fans is what Chase Carey has said (taken from BBC website):

• F1 is a "unique, iconic, global event that is a spectacle second to none"
  • The sport has not grown in recent years as much as it needed to and Liberty could exploit new technologies to do that
  • Liberty would protect historic races and sees Europe as the "foundation" of the sport
  • It would expand, particularly with a view to new events in the US
  • Liberty wanted to make much more of the promotion of F1 itself, its participants and individual events
  • There will be a British Grand Prix despite speculation Silverstone could be dropped by 2019

On 1/16/2017 at 1:36 PM, rvrdgsfn said:

The worst kept secret in Formula One became official today as Valtteri Bottas has been chosen to replace Nico Rosberg. Felipe Massa will hold off retirement to go back to Williams & Pascal Wehrlein will drive for Sauber.

Plus this is what IndyCar could look like very soon...

phpThumb.jpg

Is it just me or does that IndyCar look a lot more like the last DP01 Champ Car than the current IndyCar? Not that I consider that a bad thing. The DP01 was one of the most attractive open wheel cars I've ever had the privilege of watching.

Results from the 24 hours of Daytona:

P: #10 Wayne Taylor Racing Cadillac

PC: #38 Oreca FLM09
GTD: #28 Porsche 911 GT3 R

GTLM: #66 Ford Chip Ganassi Racing

There a thrilling battle between the Mustang Sampling & Taylor Racing Cadillac's as well as the Ford GT & Porsche 911 RSR & Ferrari. Taylor Racing managed to avoid a penalty after colliding with Mustang Sampling. Even though Ford won GTLM, the true battle was between Porsche & Ferarri & Porsche held on, that was some great racing! Rough day for the likes of Lexus & Acura but they held on as long as they could. Rough day for Mazda though. Finally, Jeff Gordon can add a Rolex to his trophy collection. See you in Sebring in a few months.

baltimoreravens.png

• 4 weeks later...

Wanted to bump this up because we have some F1 cars that debuted!

First up Williams

f1-williams-fw40-launch-2017-williams-fw40.jpg

Sauber
215036.jpg

Renault

football_05_0_temp-1487715344-58acbc10-620x348.jpg

Force India (IMO, ugliest car this season)landscape-1487777632-gettyimages-643734730.jpg

Last but not least, the defending constructor's champion, Mercedes

Mercedes-Formula-One-Team-Launch-2017-Car.jpg

Overall, I love the new designs of the new car. I hope this leads to some excellent racing!

Meanwhile in Formula E we have the results to the Buenos Aries Grand Prix:

1.Buemi

2. Vergne

3. di Grassi

4. Prost

5. Piquet jr.

6. Duval

7. Abt

8. d'Ambrosio

9. Turvey

10. Lopez

Buemi gets his third straight win. The way he keeps going, it may be hard to catch him. Next up Mexico.

baltimoreravens.png

Car unveils are definitely more interesting when there has been a major rule change. It's interesting to see how different teams have interpreted the new rules. There are two things I like on the Mercedes car purely from an aerodynamic point and not necessarily for aesthetics.

1) It's hard to get a good picture but there are two significant winglets either side of the Petronas logo on the nose. This is only possible with the new rules.

skysports-mercedes-w08-silverstone_38961

2) It will also be fun to see whether this T-wing just in front of the rear wing gets outlawed or not. It is probably doing the same job that the shark fin on other cars is doing.

1487875527991.jpg

McLaren & Ferrari unveiled their machines today:16830746_10154835599986413_7987642044888364039_n.jpg

16996522_1579481828748102_4276690194945665066_n.jpg

I'm digging the orange on the McLaren, honor your heritage but with a new outlook. The Ferrari is of course one gorgeous machine. Plus we have a little bonus, Kimi testing the new Ferrari

Sunday we'll see Red Bull, Toro Rosso & Formula Haas

baltimoreravens.png

On 2/24/2017 at 3:24 PM, rvrdgsfn said:

McLaren & Ferrari unveiled their machines today:16830746_10154835599986413_7987642044888364039_n.jpg

16996522_1579481828748102_4276690194945665066_n.jpg

I'm digging the orange on the McLaren, honor your heritage but with a new outlook. The Ferrari is of course one gorgeous machine. Plus we have a little bonus, Kimi testing the new Ferrari

Sunday we'll see Red Bull, Toro Rosso & Formula Haas

I love how the new F1 cars look, it's reminiscent of the F1 cars of old, but man, I still do not like that engine sound. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

• 2 weeks later...

Results from St.Pete for the start of the IndyCar season

1.  Bourdais

2. Pagenaud

3. Dixon

4. Hunter-Reay

5. Sato

6. Castroneves

7. Andretti

8. Newgarden

9. Hinchliffe

10. Jones

Impressive work from Coyne Racing, especially Bourdais starting from last to first & Rookie Ed Jones. Although it was a rough day for the likes of Graham Rahal & Will Power. I have a feeling Newgarden & Pagenaud are going to be making some noise this season.

Next up, Long Beach

baltimoreravens.png

• 2 weeks later...

Unusual strategy error from Mercedes today. Not use to seeing that from them, probably cost them the win. Vettel still had excellent pace though so it might not have mattered in the end. Also, an extremely unlucky circumstance for Riccardo considering it's his home race. Car broke down during the formation lap. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Results from the Australian Grand Prix:

1.Vettel

2. Hamilton

3. Bottas

4. Räikkönen

5. Verstappen

6. Massa

7. Perez

8. Sainz Jr.

9. Kvyat

10. Ocon

Looks like the boys from Maranello mean business this time. Strategy was key in this race & it paid off big time for Seb. Like rockstar said, it was a rough day for the home country hero, Ricciardo along with Alonso & both Haas cars. Although I got a feeling, its going to be a big battle for the Prancing Horse & the Silver Arrows. I was very impressed with the racing today, I just hope we see a good F1 season.

Next up: China

baltimoreravens.png

Bumping for the Formula E Mexican Grand Prix

1. Di Grassi

2. Vergne

3. Bird

4. Evans

5. Prost

6. Lopez

7. Abt

8. Carroll

9. Piquet Jr.

10. Gutierrez

Wow, that was a crazy Formula E race. Lots of spinning & aggressive racing. Lots of racers were looking good, Lopez being one of them, same with Buemi until they spun. D'Ambrosio was looking good too, until he ran out of energy. All in all, a pretty good Formula E race!

Next Up Monaco

So also, Formula 1 & the FIA had a meeting about the future. Yes, I'm aware this was posted on April Fool's day but I did find this source straight from the FIA's website

http://www.fia.com/news/fia-holds-meeting-regarding-future-formula-one-power-units

The meeting resulted in broad agreement for the future evolution of Formula One power units, with all parties seemingly aligned in their focus on:

• a desire to maintain F1 as the pinnacle of motor sport technology, and as a laboratory for developing technology that is relevant to road cars
  • striving for future power units to be powerful, while becoming simpler and less costly to develop and produce
  • improving the sound of the power units
  • a desire to allow drivers to drive harder at all times.

FIA President Jean Todt chaired the meeting, and was enthused by the positive discussion.

“I was very pleased with the process, and the fact that so many different stakeholders were able to agree on a direction for the FIA Formula One World Championship in such an important technical area,” said Mr Todt.

“Of course, now we must sit down and work through the fine details of exactly what the 2021 power units will be – but we have begun on the right foot, and I am looking forward to working through the process to come up with the best decision for Formula One into the future.”

According to other sources, there were 8 auto manufactures that were there, rumors include VAG brands Audi & Lamborghini. Well, if its true & this can bring in more manufactures, I'm for it.

Last but not least, this is what IndyCar may look like in 2018...

phpThumb-1.jpg.5445a1dacaed4fd7477973310c82bba9.jpgphpThumb.jpg.fdf58c3e295a2f633a66213b25b57372.jpg03-31-Rendering-2018Car-TopView-NoOverlay-HIRES_a.jpg.22024bbf635fa5450efd430c2ea6d454.jpg

I seriously hope that they make it similar, if not this. This is a step in the right direction!

baltimoreravens.png

Bumping for a big weekend

First IndyCar for the Long Beach Grand Prix:

1. Hinchcliffe

2. Bourdais

3. Newgarden

4. Dixon

5. Pagenaud

6. Jones

7. Munoz

8. Pigot

9. Castroneves

10. Rahal

Considering what Mayor Hinch has gone through to come back, I couldn't be happier with this win, let alone this course. Long Beach is one of my favorite courses in IndyCar. Kind of weird to not see an Penske, Ganassi or Andretti car in victory lane yet. Bourdais having another good race, Newgarden & Dixon held up as well. Rough day for Hunter Reay, Andretti & Rossi.

Next up : Alabama

Formula 1 results for the Chinese Grand Prix:

1. Hamilton

2. Vettel

3. Verstappen

4. Ricciardo

5. Räikkönen

6. Bottas

7. Sainz Jr.

8. Magnussen

9. Perez

10. Ocon

Hamilton strikes again in dominant form but Vettel was driving like there was no tomorrow, especially against his former team however, the start of the race, Verstappen starting from 16th to get to the podium, this kid is a freak of nature the way he drives, he's almost inhuman! Ricciardo bouncing back from Australia was good to see & Haas getting some points while McLaren.... Well, you know....

Next up Bahrain

Last but not least,  the IMSA Weathertech series had their race at Long Beach as well & finish was completely crazy!

baltimoreravens.png

Fernando Alonso to skip Monaco to race the Indy 500. No replacement driver named yet.

http://racing.ap.org/article/fernando-alonso-miss-monaco-gp-race-indy-500

"It's a tough challenge," said the 35-year-old Alonso, who has twice won in Monaco and hasn't competed at Le Mans. "But I'm up for it."

McLaren made the announcement on Wednesday, saying the Monaco GP will be the only Formula One race that Alonso will miss. The British-based team hasn't announced who will replace Alonso for the most glitzy race on the F1 calendar.

McLaren will be racing in the Indianapolis 500 for the first time in 38 years. Its entry will be a Dallara DW12 chassis, run by the Andretti Autosport team headed by Michael Andretti — a former IndyCar champion who raced in Formula One for McLaren in 1993.

Alonso will fly to Indianapolis immediately after the Spanish Grand Prix on May 14 to get in two weeks of IndyCar practice.

Archived