New high school logo

BigB859

They are building a new high school in Lexington, KY. The school's name is Frederick Douglass High School and there a mascot is the Stallions. People are signing a petition that says “it is inappropriate and sexist” that the mascot and name for the female sports teams is the Stallions. What do you think and can you come up with something better? The school colors are orange and green.  

170102PrepDouglassPA0463.jpg

stallions(2).jpg

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, changing the Boise St. ripoff would be a good start.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

What's so crazy about adopting a name and identity that gives female athletes an equal sense of belonging and representation with their school and community to their male counterparts?

Design-wise, I've always been a fan of Hofstra's elegant solution to the issue of equal gender representation in academic sports logos:

2275.png

7 hours ago, O.C.D said:

stallions is sexist. I am so sick of first world, busy body feminist's. Modern feminism ruins everything, seriously everything. 

Seriously? Everything?

Sunsets?  Pizza?  Music? Puppies?  Sleeping late? Spring? Blue skies? Peel and Eat shrimp? Equal pay for equal work?  

Holy cow, if that's your world, you must be one miserable SOB.  Luckily, I'm OK with really minor things like, I dunno, what a High School chooses for it's mascot.  That way "modern feminists" don't have to ruin everything for me.

4 minutes ago, Waffles said:

What's so crazy about adopting a name and identity that gives female athletes an equal sense of belonging and representation with their school and community to their male counterparts?

No idea.

This kind of identity is disappointing.  It's one thing to have a holdover from an earlier day, but to start with a blank page of paper, the whole world of options open, and end up with this?  Shows just why those "modern feminists" are so desperately needed.

i guess what is annoying to some is just the fact that it almost seems like some of these people go out of their way to find something to be offended about.. specifically pointing out that the term "stallion" is gender-specific, then connecting that to the fact that female sports teams would be represented by a male mascot/nickname, just seems like an extra step or two of deliberate thought for the purposes of finding a reason to be offended.. and don't get me wrong, this is a fresh start and as Goth pointed out, probably wouldn't be a big deal if it were a holdover from the past, and they could've avoided this, but it still just feels a bit like nitpicking.. shame on the school for not testing it before officially announcing it and having so much gear/apparel created.. that's Foley-esque for sure.. maybe they can be the Golden Knights as well.. oh wait, Knights were only male.. i guess that's off the table too

3 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

i guess what is annoying to some is just the fact that it almost seems like some of these people go out of their way to find something to be offended about.. specifically pointing out that the term "stallion" is gender-specific, then connecting that to the fact that female sports teams would be represented by a male mascot/nickname, just seems like an extra step or two of deliberate thought for the purposes of finding a reason to be offended.. and don't get me wrong, this is a fresh start and as Goth pointed out, probably wouldn't be a big deal if it were a holdover from the past, and they could've avoided this, but it still just feels a bit like nitpicking.. shame on the school for not testing it before officially announcing it and having so much gear/apparel created.. that's Foley-esque for sure.. maybe they can be the Golden Knights as well.. oh wait, Knights were only male.. i guess that's off the table too

Totally agree. People get offended by the smallest things nowadays. I don't care what the teams are called and I would be yelled at for "not caring". So stupid. 

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

14 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

How many female based names are there?

how many Does?  Cows?  Mares?

yet let's get mad when people care about the misogyny women deal with all the time. 

Lets not forget bores and sows... or if we really want to get technical, we could go with bores and gilts (a female pig who is either a virgin or has not yet given birth)

5 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

How many female based names are there?

how many Does?  Cows?  Mares?

yet let's get mad when people care about the misogyny women deal with all the time. 

Or call them the "Lady Stallions". They're probably mad because they're not called this and are just called the "Stallions".

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

Just go with "Horsies" or "Pretty ponies" and be done with it.  I am just amazed a new school in Kentucky is being named after Frederick Douglass and not that scary anti-gay lady from the county clerk's office.  And if you are going to name the school after Frederick Douglass why not pick a cool nickname that relates to him?  Stallions is a bit lame on that front.

FDHS Abolitionists or FDHS Freedom, something relevant.

Archived