Teams in the WRONG uniform

kimball

But those two kings jerseys...gorgeous.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

May be remembering this wrong, but weren't those rushed to the ice as an olive branch to the fans in the immediate backlash to the Buffalsug? Could explain why their gear didn't match. Or it's just more of the mismanagement that led to the Buffalsug in the first place. 

They wore them like this in the playoffs at least once that year (what kind of team re brands and the wears throwbacks in the playoffs?)

5 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Some 2003-04 Vintage Series shenanigans deserve mention:

Robitaille.jpg

Note the hilariously incorrect black breezers/helmets on the Kings, and the navy breezers on the Blues. I suppose that this may just be a case of inaccurate throwbacks, but details as significant as breezers and helmets alter the overall uniform considerably.

This was at the beginning of the retro craze and I guess that a couple of teams that took part in the vintage jersey program that season just didn't realize the importance of getting every detail correct or how serious some fans take this stuff.  The Blues isn't that bad, but the Kings were just plain bad.  Going with a white helmet didn't help either.  I'm glad that the Canucks went full retro, including correct helmet and pants, eventually planting the seeds for the team to go back to blue and green.

16 hours ago, Milkman14 said:

When I opened this thread I was expecting (hoping) for examples of teams wearing uniforms that they didn't intend to wear or were not their actual uniforms.  For example I remember a story about the Vikings planning to wear white at home against the Lions but the Lions didn't get the memo so both teams were in white but the Vikings switched to the purple tops and kept the purple pants.  Thus the purple on purple was never their intent making it a "wrong" uniform.  I also thought I heard once about an away football team that ended up having to wear the home team's practice jerseys for some reason.  I could be misremembering that though.

You are correct, sir.  Wish I could've found the NFL Films video footage of this game haha.  That was the last time they went all purple...at least until Color Rush came along.

IMG_2236.JPG

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

30 minutes ago, Ben in LA said:

You are correct, sir.  Wish I could've found the NFL Films video footage of this game haha.  That was the last time they went all purple...at least until Color Rush came along.

IMG_2236.JPG

They wore all purple in 2007, 2010 and 2013. As someone who's favorite color is purple, I personally don't mind the Vikings wearing it from head to toe, not to mention it goes along with their old team nickname of Purple People Eaters.

bSLCtu2.png

22 hours ago, Discogod said:

How about the New Jersey Nets' short-lived set from 1981-83? Larry Brown got rid of the ABA-style unis when he took over; after he was fired the team brought them back.

buck-williams-of-the-new-jersey-nets-def

Sorry to go off topic, but I noticed two former Maryland Terps in the picture, Tom McMillen (ATL) and Buck Williams (NJ).

As much as I personally love this jersey, I have come to accept that the red, black, and slate uniforms were the wrong choice for the Sabres.

ScODruI.jpg

75+ percent of NHL teams, in the 2007/08 season, also deserve this distinction...  Especially the Dallas Stars and their drab, long-sleeved, basketball jerseys.  The Oilers looked nothing like the team that housed the Great One, & held a dynasty, and tons of innovative looks were haphazardly thrown onto templates that were simply awful.

7rdWl4D.jpg

nFmz4H8.jpg

c1ZvNP9.jpg

And to bring things full circle, it was rather disconcerting seeing the Buffaslug uniforms actually get worse.  The logo is small enough to resemble a real banana-slug...

lLwOgjv.jpg

2 minutes ago, zigbazah said:

Chiefs wearing white at Arrowhead in 2006. 

aku2qv.jpg

That isn't that uncommon early in the season. IIRC the Chiefs were wearing white at home in the game where Brady tore his knee up, weren't they?

21 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

That isn't that uncommon early in the season. IIRC the Chiefs were wearing white at home in the game where Brady tore his knee up, weren't they?

No, the Pats were wearing white at home. According to Uni Watch, KC has only worn white at home in 1980 and for one game in 2006.  

On 1/5/2017 at 4:45 PM, Cosmic said:

I don't remember which one it was, but one of these teams was definitely in the wrong uniform:

Panthers%20Stars%20Hockey

What the.. how did this happen?

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

24 minutes ago, MiK said:

What the.. how did this happen?

Because it was one of those neutral-site preseason games, neither team was in or near their home arena to run back into the locker room and grab their colored jerseys.  Miscommunication and then each team only packed their white jerseys for the trip.

That game and that Vikings game would be a nightmare to officiate.  Long time ago I was running the clock for this basketball tournament where all of the teams were assigned when you got there and you were given a colored t-shirt to distinguish which team you were on.  The colors were different enough for the most part except for navel blue and black.  To make matters worse one of the volunteer officials working the games with me was color blind.  For calls such as possession after a ball went out of bounds he'd have to look to the other official every time.

I can think of two Bundesliga examples where the away team LITERALLY played in a wrong uniform.

In the 2001/2002 Bundesliga season Bayern Munich only brought their red home dress to an away game to Cologne who in that season also hed a red home dress. Since there was no alternative Bayern had to wear the warm up bibs over the jerseys which made for a very strange look,

Bayern-Koeln-Leibchen.jpg

In 1998 Schalke only brought their white kit to a match at Karlsruhe who wore white shirts trimmed with blue. The referee told Schalke to change jerseys and they now had to play in Karlsruhes away jersey which, to add to the humiliation, was yellow and black. The colors of Schalkes biggest rival Borussia Dortmund. At least they could keep their own blue shorts.

firo210316kscschalke12.jpg?itok=gtaAl6BE

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/oct/05/knowledge-teams-wearing-opponents-kit

Decent list from the Guardian (not many photos however) of occasions soccer teams have had to wear literally the wrong kit. 

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

19 minutes ago, waltere said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/oct/05/knowledge-teams-wearing-opponents-kit

Decent list from the Guardian (not many photos however) of occasions soccer teams have had to wear literally the wrong kit. 

"back in 1982 Sheffield United were forced to wear Colchester's away kit (red and black stripes) because the Blades shirts carried sponsorship, which was not permitted on TV at the time."

How far we've come.

Archived