NHL 2017-18

Bmac

The stick-in-rink is not good enough to be a primary logo.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, the Naslund-era jerseys are the best they've ever looked, although I hope they stay with the blue and green color scheme (which is most definitely gonna happen anyway). The blue/green combo is a much better scheme compared to the Naslund-era, but it doesn't help that they've never looked good in blue and green. Just get rid of the Orca that is just being forced at this point and bring back Johnny in any way shape or form. I wouldn't even mind the stick-in-the-rink logo as the primary. The Canucks have some good logos in their repertoire, it's a shame they don't use any them the way they should be. 

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

2 hours ago, kroywen said:

And yeah, you can probably count on one hand the amount of teams whose white jersey is better than their dark jersey. (Detroit and Toronto spring to mind, but that's about it, IMO.) Teams should, inasmuch is possible, wear their best look at home. 90 times out of 100, that's going to be the dark.

Detroit, Toronto, New York, Long Island, Winnipeg, Minnesota, St. Louis, Vancouver, and Carolina are all better in white. Plenty of teams look just as good in white. Some, like Nashville and Anaheim, look bad either way.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

36 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Detroit, Toronto, New York, Long Island, Winnipeg, Minnesota, St. Louis, Vancouver, and Carolina are all better in white. Plenty of teams look just as good in white. Some, like Nashville and Anaheim, look bad either way.

I agree with all of those, except possibly New York. In general, if a team's dark jersey is the same color as their pants, I prefer their white jerseys.

I personally have always liked the thinner version of the Devils logo used on the early 90's CCM replica jerseys. If they are to make a change to the uniform I'd love to see this thinner version used. To me it looks more less bulky and more symmetrical. 

devils_ultrafil.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg.3ad6b608a1b222bebe66f6457a16c9bc.jpg

15 hours ago, insert name said:

The Canucks are a team that should replace its main jersey with the alternative next season. Don't think there's a single thing wrong with this jersey.

sedin_daniel_2_slide.jpg

Why not just put the logos from this uniform on the current set?  Nothing wrong with that striping configuration.

1 hour ago, Chico said:

I personally have always liked the thinner version of the Devils logo used on the early 90's CCM replica jerseys. If they are to make a change to the uniform I'd love to see this thinner version used. To me it looks more less bulky and more symmetrical. 

devils_ultrafil.jpg

The double piping around the yoke is also thinner and it does the uniform wonders.  That was the one thing about that uniform I could not get past, the amount of white space between the red yoke and the green outline.  It just looked goofy.

Azn2Fip.jpg

Monochrome teams look better in white IMO. 

Other teams are mixed, but I just prefer white at home. When I was a kid, white flyers jerseys far outnumbered the orange ones in the stands and on kids in school. Like... far. Merchandising wasn't anything like now, so maybe white jerseys were just easier to get, I don't remember. I had both, but never liked the orange. 

Honestly i rarely ever got to see the white jersey because all home games were on pay TV (think local HBO) and I didn't have cable let alone a pay channel so seeing the white ones was always pretty special to me. Seeing them in game was the only way to see the real P logo (without the black outline) which was a big deal to me at the time. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 minute ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Other teams are mixed, but I just prefer white at home. When I was a kid, white flyers jerseys far outnumbered the orange ones in the stands and on kids in school. Like... far. Merchandising wasn't anything like now, so maybe white jerseys were just easier to get, I don't remember. I had both, but never liked the orange. 

Honestly i rarely ever got to see the white jersey because all home games were on pay TV (think local HBO) and I didn't have cable let alone a pay channel so seeing the white ones was always pretty special to me. Seeing them in game was the only way to see the real P logo (without the black outline) which was a big deal to me at the time. 

Prism! Mamy Prism memories. I have the complete opposite view. I have always liked the orange more but I get why your opinion is the way it is.

11 hours ago, cmm said:

I agree with all of those, except possibly New York. In general, if a team's dark jersey is the same color as their pants, I prefer their white jerseys.

It's funny: a team nicknamed the Blueshirts should be most associated with their, uh, blue shirts, but the Rangers' striped shoulder yokes on the whites always seemed to be as much a signature design element as the drop-shadows and the diagonal lettering. I like both, but my mental picture of the Rangers is always in white.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm just hoping that the league can get back to being one of the best dressed... Their so close, they just have a few teams, and even just a few sweaters that are bringing the league down... CGY, COL, OTT, and WSH are definitely the biggest culprits...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

I too prefer white over color at home. Some of it is nostalgia, but a lot of it is I usually prefer white jerseys to color, with a few exceptions of course (Habs for example). If anything I'd like to see the Red Wings become the Cowboys of the NHL. Just because their white jerseys are the best jerseys in hockey. And while the red jerseys are nice on their own, I just don't like monocrhome looks.

I seem to prefer like white jerseys more than color in the NFL too (not that I want them to go white at home) Most of the jerseys I made my parents get me as a kid were white. Maybe it's the way the colors pop off the white IDK.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

As a 90s kid I rarely ever remembering seeing orange flyers jerseys around growing up. It was always the white or the black alts that came out in the mid-late 90s. Now of course you'd be hard pressed not to see one that isn't orange. Whether that's the home or winter classic.

I even had Lindros and LeClair jerseys both in black.

6 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

I'm just hoping that the league can get back to being one of the best dressed... Their so close, they just have a few teams, and even just a few sweaters that are bringing the league down... CGY, COL, OTT, and WSH are definitely the biggest culprits...

And if any of those teams fix their problems. I'm sure the Devils will ruin their look and replace them.

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Growing up watching the Manitoba Moose, their white jersey was the worst in their repertoire and was disappointed that I was never able to see them in use. This is why I like the half/half routine. 

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

On 1/10/2017 at 5:59 PM, Morgo said:

The execution is perfect.  It combines an "N," a "J" and a sitting devil into a seamless, classic crest.  It should never be changed.

That’s the concept. The execution is the quality of what is on the paper, and like I said, the proportions are clumsy and it’s very poorly drawn.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 1/10/2017 at 5:07 PM, Ice_Cap said:

I disagree. We know what the Devils' logo would look like if the N and J were separate. And it doesn't look great...

Speaking for myself? I've never had any issue distinguishing the N from the J, or the J from the devil horns and tail. To me? It's one of the rare logos you can call a legitimate modern classic. It's not an Original Six mark, but it looks like it could easily belong.

That’s a single example of what the Devils’ logo *could* look like if the N and J were separate. A good designer should be able to put together several specimens that are better than that one. :-)

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

That’s the concept. The execution is the quality of what is on the paper, and like I said, the proportions are clumsy and it’s very poorly drawn.

When somebody manages to do it better, or even come up with a completely different concept that tops it, I will believe you.  As it stands, I see nothing wrong with how it's rendered.  In my opinion it is untouchable.

The term "iconic" gets thrown around way too much by people that think it just means "really good".  IMO, the NJ logo is legitimately iconic, and if the proportions are off, it's so minimal that I'd say it adds "charm" rather than indicates sloppiness (kinda like hand-drawn scripts vs computer-aided designs.)

The NJ passes all of my tests for what a great logo is, especially the "book cover" test.  I really hope that if/when they modify the uniforms, they leave that logo alone.  If they change that logo, even if the new one is good, the Devils become "just another team".  IMO the logo is bigger than the team.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived