NHL 2017-18

Bmac

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

Those things will never see the ice. Devils fans are still at war over changing their goal song. If they think they're going to force this empty crap down our throats they have another thing coming. Bring back the stripes.

Good luck with that !!

I was at the Rock when the announcement to change sweaters was made, and fans were certainly vocal. Some even made make-shift signs and were banging and chanting to keep the jerseys. So, I can attest to the passion (even as a "Rags" fan) from the Devs faithful, but good luck stopping this event from happening. 

49 minutes ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

Rumor going around (and Devils fans are pissed) is that the Devils got rid of the horizontal stripes at the hem so that the jerseys looks unfinished and sort of like practice gear.

Can you imagine that? How dumb would that be?

If somebody actually recommended or approved that, I would literally recommend they be broken over the wheel. They gonna take pinstripes off the Yankees too?

Readying the pitchforks.

What's the upside to looking like a practice jersey? Do teams have famous practice sweaters? Do they make excessive bank from them? Strange...

But then again, aren't the Devils run by the guy who used to own the NBA '6ers? Yikes !!!

20 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

My rough concept of what the Devils will look like based on these details. Maybe the stripes will be even thicker? I added a black hem line as my own prediction, I believe i saw rumors of that somewhere

njd concept.png

So basically the Reebok Edge design that Lou never allowed?

When I look at that expected Devils sweater, here are my thoughts...

I guess we could give teams a pass 10 years ago, because RBK's "uniform system" was intended to be tucked into the breezers.

But now...teams that are cutting off hem stripes -- when they know jerseys won't be tucked in -- why?

Bold, distinct, matching striping clearly looks good and has historical precedent, so why change it? 

I honestly still am going with the belief that to non-jersey people (sorry for the pun), the sweater posted above is seen as equivalent to what they have always worn. They don't see a difference.

You're not really going to sell more jerseys by simply removing design elements..right? No new patches or alt logos, right? 

And you see the O6 have the bold striping and have stood the test of time, so I just don't know why you'd cut the striping. I literally see no upside to doing so, at least in the Devs' case.

Maybe more teams should do O6-for-O6-sake things!!! 

14 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

This CBJ blog is guessing this will be the Jackets' adidas sweater

https://www.1stohiobattery.com/columbus-blue-jackets-news/2017/06/583/is-this-the-new-columbus-blue-jackets-home-jersey-from-adidas

Minimal updates to the shoulder stripes and the collar loses white. The collar change was confirmed in their first teaser. The stripes I guess we'll see. I don't like the collar without the white separating the red from the blue, but I can live with these changes. We still have yet to see the new number font looks. 

I think the sweater would be much improved if the logos switched places - i.e., the cannon moving to the chest and the star-and-flag moving to the shoulders. The star looks much better duplicated than the cannon, which is strong as a standalone logo.

NSFCvyu.png

1 hour ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

Those things will never see the ice. Devils fans are still at war over changing their goal song. If they think they're going to force this empty crap down our throats they have another thing coming. Bring back the stripes.

I think it's too late to change for 17-18.  Might see the usual stripes return in 18-19.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

15 minutes ago, JWhiz96 said:

I think the sweater would be much improved if the logos switched places - i.e., the cannon moving to the chest and the star-and-flag moving to the shoulders. The star looks much better duplicated than the cannon, which is strong as a standalone logo.

I've seen this same opinion on other CBJ social outlets and I couldn't disagree more. It is my preference that they drop the cannon logo forever and bring back the Kepi hat. It was designed to work in tandem with the star logo, the cannon was not. The cannon logo was designed for a specific reason for a specific jersey to look like a vintage logo from a previous era. It's complex, illustrative design was never meant for full-time use and certainly never meant to be used on the shoulder patches, which is in my opinion the worst possible place for it. It's clip art in a roundel. I don't get why so many people like it. 

I'm not opposed to using a cannon on the front of a sweater, similar to what Arsenal uses. I am opposed to using THAT cannon on the front of a sweater. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

16 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

(was confirming that the Blue Jackets blog did indeed have the correct mockup for the actual uniform)

They mentioned within the article they've seen the actual sweaters (I write for their sister site, so I can also confirm its accuracy).

4 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

The cannon logo was designed for a specific reason for a specific jersey to look like a vintage logo from a previous era.

Which is interesting because vintage crests were often much simpler by design because they were easier to reproduce. This does look and feel very much like an illustration from a war time era though.

I really don't get its popularity and apparent preference over the star logo. It's way too detailed, and it would really stick out like a sore thumb as the team's primary. I think it would look more at home on a soccer shirt than a hockey jersey - not Arsenal specifically, but that art style lends itself better to a typically over-detailed soccer crest.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

3 minutes ago, Flames1fan said:

What time are the new jersey being shown at today

14 hours ago, Danny said:

8pm ET, 5pm PT

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Archived