NHL 2017-18

Bmac

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, the admiral said:

THAT'S MY POINT: they had a modern classic of their own and now they're using the Blackhawks' sleeve stripes because...I dunno.

OR are they doing this equal-striping-sized-goodness?

Related image

It IS their heritage, and the Colorado Rockies seem to be so popular right now.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

2 minutes ago, flyersfan said:

Flyers draft hat has white and black stripes. Do we know if the hats are for the waists or the sleeves?

Based on Pittsburgh and Arizona, it's the sleeve stripes. Teams with nontraditional stripes like Columbus and (presumably) Philly, have patterns rotated or cut off it would seem. 

4 minutes ago, hockey week said:

OR are they doing this equal-striping-sized-goodness?

[hideous uniform picture omitted for space]

It IS their heritage, and the Colorado Rockies seem to be so popular right now.

I think they're trying to "mark a new era" of Devils hockey now that Lamoriello, Brodeur, and the old ownership are all gone, but they're too tentative or uncreative to dramatically redesign the Devils, knowing there's both no real appetite for change nor a great deal of room for improvement, so they're making change for change's sake that will inevitably be wrapped up in Brandspeak: "the equality of the stripes represents the equality of each player on the team."

EDIT: though ironically the belief that no player was more important than any other was a key principle of Lou Lamoriello, who never saw fit to apply it to his goddamn sweater stripes

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 minute ago, Morgo said:

There is nothing remotely special about the Rockies identity.  Both New Jersey and Colorado should leave it in the trash-bin where it belongs.

They managed to make the use of all three primary colors not look terrible. That's gotta count for something, right?

53Ocz8U.png

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

They managed to make the use of all three primary colors not look terrible. That's gotta count for something, right?

I think that's the main reason why it looks terrible.  The Devils identity on the other hand was perfect.  The red jersey in particular is a thing of beauty.

7 minutes ago, TheLAKnight said:

Based on Pittsburgh and Arizona, it's the sleeve stripes. Teams with nontraditional stripes like Columbus and (presumably) Philly, have patterns rotated or cut off it would seem. 

Washington is also a wild card....

3 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I think they're trying to "mark a new era" of Devils hockey now that Lamoriello, Brodeur, and the old ownership are all gone, but they're too tentative or uncreative to dramatically redesign the Devils, knowing there's both no real appetite for change nor a great deal of room for improvement, so they're making change for change's sake that will inevitably be wrapped up in Brandspeak: "the equality of the stripes represents the equality of each player on the team."

Here's the thing though, our fanbase is extremely old school. We're not the type that takes to any change well and just adopt it and go with the flow. We're still shocked to see a #13 on the ice. Or players in warmups with no helmet.

Devils fans are traditionalists. If anything was going to be considered regarding changing the jersey, they wanted to have the chance to give input. Maybe we don't have an enormous fan base, but the fans we do have feel very close to the team. 

2 minutes ago, Morgo said:

I think that's the main reason why it looks terrible.  The Devils identity on the other hand was perfect.  The red jersey in particular is a thing of beauty.

I actually liked their whites better. The black yokes and red names/numbers looked great together and there was no confusing them with the Blackhawks despite similar colors. It reminds me of that discussion we had in the baseball thread about working out the navy/red teams' color distribution so they could all keep their colors but look different from one another.

1 minute ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

Here's the thing though, our fanbase is extremely old school. We're not the type that takes to any change well and just adopt it and go with the flow. We're still shocked to see a #13 on the ice. Or players in warmups with no helmet.

Devils fans are traditionalists. If anything was going to be considered regarding changing the jersey, they wanted to have the chance to give input. Maybe we don't have an enormous fan base, but the fans we do have feel very close to the team. 

Yeah, like I said, no one in the Jersey faithful seemed to be clamoring for changes, and why would they? The Devils won three in nine wearing what they wore up until this year. This just feels like ownership tinkering so they feel involved.

Archived