NHL 2017-18

Bmac

I need some corporate speak about how hypo-allergenic the new uniforms are, and I need it fast.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To understand the Devils fans reaction to the uniform change you have understand a lot of the off ice changes that have gone on the last few years.

When Lou Lamoriello ran the team for more than a generation he ran it in a very traditional fashion much like the Canadiens or Boston Celtics. Part of that was to build traditions.

Some of that was silly like no facial hair rules and no high numbers unless you were a star. On the otherside when it came to the uniforms they kept a traditional approach. One a few teams to never have a permanent third jersey.  In fact when it came to the Reebok edge changes a decade ago they were basically the only non-original 6 team to keep their uniform design. 

The fans embraced this. In fact after moving to Newark the team built a really fun fan environment circa 2011 through 2013.

After that season the team was sold. While everyone admits on the ice changes  needed to be made, the new ownership group has implemented a lot of off ice changes that have alienated much the fan base. Much of the in-game arena presentiation was changed to try to prevent fans from doing similar chants that you heard in Nashville this year and make it more "family friendly." They threatened season ticket holders for putting extra tickets on stubhub. They have also forced out many long time people associated with the organization. And more...

seemingly any and everything associated with the team prior to the ownership change has been done away with. Instead of leaning on the traditions to keep people connected to the team during an on ice downturn, they have seemingly done everything to drive people away.

now to tonight and the uniforms. The ownership has taken the most traditional and guarded aspect of the team (their look from when they won 3 cups and 5 conference championships) and changed it to what looks like a cheap knockoff version. It not only is a backlash against the design, but also ownership. 

Also re: Devils -- the adidas stuff about the Newark team from the 30's, the scouts and Rockies is crap. The organization by and large has disowned the KC and Colorado years. When ever the team talks about team records it always dates back to 1982 and when the team relocated to NJ. 

2 minutes ago, jkrdevil said:

To understand the Devils fans reaction to the uniform change you have understand a lot of the off ice changes that have gone on the last few years.

When Lou Lamoriello ran the team for more than a generation he ran it in a very traditional fashion much like the Canadiens or Boston Celtics. Part of that was to build traditions.

Some of that was silly like no facial hair rules and no high numbers unless you were a star. On the otherside when it came to the uniforms they kept a traditional approach. One a few teams to never have a permanent third jersey.  In fact when it came to the Reebok edge changes a decade ago they were basically the only non-original 6 team to keep their uniform design. 

The fans embraced this. In fact after moving to Newark the team built a really fun fan environment circa 2011 through 2013.

After that season the team was sold. While everyone admits on the ice changes  needed to be made, the new ownership group has implemented a lot of off ice changes that have alienated much the fan base. Much of the in-game arena presentiation was changed to try to prevent fans from doing similar chants that you heard in Nashville this year and make it more "family friendly." They threatened season ticket holders for putting extra tickets on stubhub. They have also forced out many long time people associated with the organization. And more...

seemingly any and everything associated with the team prior to the ownership change has been done away with. Instead of leaning on the traditions to keep people connected to the team during an on ice downturn, they have seemingly done everything to drive people away.

now to tonight and the uniforms. The ownership has taken the most traditional and guarded aspect of the team (their look from when they won 3 cups and 5 conference championships) and changed it to what looks like a cheap knockoff version. It not only is a backlash against the design, but also ownership. 

#TrustTheProcess

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

How long do you think Sharks' brass lasted in that first meeting with Adidas before collectively creaming their pants?

NHL and adidas Unveil New Uniforms for the 2017-18 Season

by San Jose Sharks @SanJoseSharks / sjsharks.com
 June 20th, 2017
cut.jpg

SAN JOSE - The National Hockey League and adidas today unveiled the new ADIZERO Authentic NHL jerseys and uniforms for all 31 NHL teams, including the San Jose Sharks (@SanJoseSharks), which will make their on-ice debut with the 2017-18 season. 

At the forefront of innovation, design and craftsmanship, the new ADIZERO Authentic NHL jersey takes the hockey uniform system and hockey jersey silhouette to the next level by redefining fit, feel and lightweight construction.

• *Lighter - Featuring new cresting materials and construction technology, the ADIZERO Authentic NHL jersey reduces crest weight by up to 46%, while a single layer perforated numbering system reduces number weight by up to 60%, in order to deliver a new jersey that is up to 19% lighter when compared to the current NHL Jersey. 

• *Cooler - The ADIZERO Authentic NHL jersey features adidas Clima® technology in each of the jersey fabrics to deliver breathability and enhanced performance. Combining moisture management technology and a streamlined silhouette to maximize air flow circulation with materials that are up to 133% more permeable than fabrics currently used on ice allows athletes to be cooler.

• *Stronger - Constructed for durability, the ADIZERO Authentic NHL jersey fabrics are up to 27% stronger in burst testing and up to 72% tougher in abrasion testing compared to the current NHL jersey.

While much of the teal jersey will appear the same, as San Jose worked with adidas to preserve the team's current uniform identity, the team did take advantage of uniform platform change to introduce the Screaming Sharks secondary mark on the shoulders of the jersey. The jersey will also feature the phrase "This Is Sharks Territory" on the inside of the neckline and the addition of black on the outside of the neckline.

"Specifically created for elite performance, we've designed the ADIZERO Authentic NHL jerseys to deliver advanced innovation and technical design for the world's best hockey players," said Dan Near, Head of adidas Hockey. "We build products for the creator athlete. Our mission is to help athletes perform better and we look forward to making our on-ice debut this season with the new Lighter, Cooler, and Stronger adidas Hockey ADIZERO Authentic NHL jerseys."

"We're excited for the fans and players to see the innovation and performance features that adidas put into creating the new jerseys," said Brian Jennings, NHL Chief Brand Officer & Executive Vice President. "To play at their highest levels, the game's greatest players require the best technology and design available, and these adidas jerseys set a new benchmark for performance gear."

"Adidas is a brand recognized worldwide for innovation and technology investment, creating constant innovation in high performance apparel," said NHLPA Chief of Global Business Strategies, Sandra Monteiro. "The Players are excited to partner with adidas, creating a new milestone in hockey apparel, bringing edge, innovation and premium design to the game, specifically focused on their performance."

I like Edmonton's jerseys. Glad the white collar from that earlier leak was trashed for a more reasonable amount of white on the collar.

But man, people here hate anything new unless it's full retro. Get a grip. Change is fine.

Change is fine, yes, but only when the changes themselves are good. When they aren't, though? Might as well not even bother. Stick with what works, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Though for the teams that didn't do much of anything and are all the worse for it (Flames, Senators, Sharks, etc.) I guess that'd be "stick with what works, even when it doesn't".

How long do you think the Sharks' brass lasted in that first meeting with Adidas before collectively creaming their pants?

The National Hockey League and adidas today unveiled the new ADIZERO Authentic NHL jerseys and uniforms for all 31 NHL teams, including the San Jose Sharks (@SanJoseSharks), which will make their on-ice debut with the 2017-18 season.  

QQeZcZL.gif

At the forefront of innovation, design and craftsmanship, the new ADIZERO Authentic NHL jersey takes the hockey uniform system and hockey jersey silhouette to the next level by redefining fit, feel and lightweight construction.

3ZPFFuh.gif

*Lighter - Featuring new cresting materials and construction technology, the ADIZERO Authentic NHL jersey reduces crest weight by up to 46%, while a single layer perforated numbering system reduces number weight by up to 60%, in order to deliver a new jersey that is up to 19% lighter when compared to the current NHL Jersey. 

4WeMI66.gif

*Cooler - The ADIZERO Authentic NHL jersey features adidas Clima® technology in each of the jersey fabrics to deliver breathability and enhanced performance. Combining moisture management technology and a streamlined silhouette to maximize air flow circulation with materials that are up to 133% more permeable than fabrics currently used on ice allows athletes to be cooler.

6zdseqS.gif

*Stronger - Constructed for durability, the ADIZERO Authentic NHL jersey fabrics are up to 27% stronger in burst testing

hd7rC6V.gif

and up to 72% tougher in abrasion testing

b6fyd3w.gif

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think the most underrated great thing about the new jerseys is how the hem stripes all follow the curve of the hem. It was always a big pet peeve of mine with the Edge that teams with straight hem stripes had that awkward orange slice-shaped chunk of fabric below the stripes. 

Before

Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 11.52.23 PM.png

After

Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 11.48.39 PM.png

1 minute ago, Chazberg said:

I think the most underrated great thing about the new jerseys is how the hem stripes all follow the curve of the hem. It was always a big pet peeve of mine with the Edge that teams with straight hem stripes had that awkward orange slice-shaped chunk of fabric below the stripes. 

Before

Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 11.52.23 PM.png

After

Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 11.48.39 PM.png

It also seems like a less dramatic curve for the hem. Kind of like it's square in front and tapers down in back rather than in both directions 

11 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

Change is fine, yes, but only when the changes themselves are good. When they aren't, though? Might as well not even bother. Stick with what works, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I agree.

Change for the sake of change = Bad

Change to update elements in need of an adjustment = Good

If it ain't broke...that's where the complaints usually stem from.

Nicholson revealed that the league is looking at the concept of alternating the dark uniforms used at home and the white uniforms used on the road but doubts if that would happen for two or three years or more.

Personally, Nicholson would like to see the whites used at home on alternating seasons.

“There have been those discussions and that door is open at this time. I think the fans would be excited about that.”

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/06/20/jones-new-oilers-jersey-unveiled

Archived