NHL 2017-18

Bmac

1 hour ago, tajmccall said:

As a Wild fan and a designer, I wanted to take the night to sleep on it.  First takes can often be too reactionary.

Whist I have my complaints (the stripe not going around the whole sweater, no hemline, etc.)

This is their best dark jersey yet, and to that matter, they had perfection with the (now current) whites, so why change?

(Minnesota sports have long had teams with different home and away templates)

The Wild have always had a problem with their logo being so green, on a green background.  I think it calls for a bigger keyline then you'd functionally want to use.  Thats why they've trapped it in roundels or used a script. 

A center stripe is a damn clever way to solve this issue.  

I know a lot of you love the inaugural uniforms, but my unpopular opinion is that they were our second worst. (the reds they just retired with no hem stripe were awful.)

The gold was too prominent, the logo got lost on the greens.  The whites were okay, but the numbers were silly and hard to read.  

This is a new franchise, in a state that really likes to pat itself on its back for their hockey tradition.  The vintage stuff sells very well here.  Expect it moving forward.

There's something I've never thought about but it's true.  The 1990s (Cris Carter-era, I guess) Vikings and the previous 1980s both used UCLA stripes on the whites and sleeve stripes on the purples.  Once they added black trim (for a while, just at home), the North Stars went with differing templates.  And we all know about the Wild.

The T-Wolves have not really done that and I don't think the Twins have really done anything abnormal by baseball standards.

As for the Wild, I am liking more and more.  My unpopular opinion is that I don't think it needs the chest stripe to go all the way around.  In fact, I don't tend to like the effect that stripes through the back of jerseys have on the numbers-on-back (obscuring parts of outlines, etc.) so I'm glad it does not wrap.

I'm not convinced that the stripe is needed to offset the green in the logo.  The inaugural jersey did not have a problem, though I acknowledge that the outline is thicker than perhaps necessary for many logos.   I will admit that the inaugural uniforms have not aged well for me...they were a bit too modern, the shoulder patch is awful and the number font will not be missed.  Part of what was keeping me attached to the inaugural uniform was that they were at least keeping the logo front-and-center.  But even if they'd not gone all-in on the red jersey, I think something would have had to happen by now.  That huge v-neck (product of the time) and the yellow-ish gold were kind of garish. 

Sadly, though, because I don't like the inaugurals as much as I used to, I don't think the Wild have ever quite gotten it right.  Something's always been either missing or overdone.  Here's my ranking, as of today and I guess this indicates that the Wild look their best right now (at least to me).

1. Current (we believe) road jersey.  It's a classic hockey jersey that gives the "vintage" feeling you refer to.  I wish the white gap between the stripes was red (and given the sleeves on the new jersey, I am holding out hope for that change.  If that happened, this would be the one jersey that would require no change.
  2. New green jersey.  Again...they missed on the Seahawks approach to number outlining and hem stripe.  But it's close to being great.
  3. Second edition of the red "circle" jersey.  The faux yoke was a positive for that look.  The lack of hem stripes hurt it but the real issue was the marginalizing of the logo in what is too big of an effort to be "retro." 
  4. Inaugural green jersey.  Big logo front-and-center...aforementioned issues (gold/yellow, number font)
  5. Inaugural white jersey.  Not as nice as green counterpart...same issues.
  6. Second edition of inaugural white jersey.  I don't like the original shoulder patch.  This one is worse.
  7. First edition of red "circle" jersey.  I know I rank this lower than most, but I hated it from day 1.  I think it was the green spot on the sleeves; the faux yoke made it seem less "thrown on."  That green spot just looked out of place to me.
  8. Script jersey.  Aesthetically pleasing, but not enough red and not enough bear.  A bear on the sleeves and more red stripes and/or number outline would have made it a serviceable alt.

So what happens when alts come?  The Wild introduce a red alt that minimizes the bear logo...the fans buy it in droves...and the maddening cycle starts again.

EDIT: bumped the first red jersey down...seems weird to rank those two 3 and 6.  Basically, the current road is #1 and everything else can be moved around.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Is there a picture out there of the Avs new white jerseys?

No there is not a pic of the white yet, and the Avs twitter keeps saying they aren't supposed to show it yet.    Just hope they didn't go mix matched and use the Stadium Series jersey as their away set.

1 minute ago, CreamSoda said:

No there is not a pic of the white yet, and the Avs twitter keeps saying they aren't supposed to show it yet.    Just hope they didn't go mix matched and use the Stadium Series jersey as their away set.

I didn't even think of that. Please don't do this Colorado!!!!

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

7 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

There's something I've never thought about but it's true.  The 1990s (Cris Carter-era, I guess) Vikings and the previous 1980s both used UCLA stripes on the whites and sleeve stripes on the purples.  Once they added black trim (for a while, just at home), the North Stars went with differing templates.  And we all know about the Wild.

The T-Wolves have not really done that and I don't think the Twins have really done anything abnormal by baseball standards.

As for the Wild, I am liking more and more.  My unpopular opinion is that I don't think it needs the chest stripe to go all the way around.  In fact, I don't tend to like the effect that stripes through the back of jerseys have on the numbers-on-back (obscuring parts of outlines, etc.) so I'm glad it does not wrap.

I'm not convinced that the stripe is needed to offset the green in the logo.  The inaugural jersey did not have a problem, though I acknowledge that the outline is thicker than perhaps necessary for many logos.   I will admit that the inaugural uniforms have not aged well for me...they were a bit too modern, the shoulder patch is awful and the number font will not be missed.  Part of what was keeping me attached to the inaugural uniform was that they were at least keeping the logo front-and-center.  But even if they'd not gone all-in on the red jersey, I think something would have had to happen by now.  That huge v-neck (product of the time) and the yellow-ish gold were kind of garish. 

Sadly, though, because I don't like the inaugurals as much as I used to, I don't think the Wild have ever quite gotten it right.  Something's always been either missing or overdone.  Here's my ranking, as of today and I guess this indicates that the Wild look their best right now (at least to me).

1. Current (we believe) road jersey.  It's a classic hockey jersey that gives the "vintage" feeling you refer to.  I wish the white gap between the stripes was red (and given the sleeves on the new jersey, I am holding out hope for that change.  If that happened, this would be the one jersey that would require no change.
  2. New green jersey.  Again...they missed on the Seahawks approach to number outlining and hem stripe.  But it's close to being great.
  3. Second edition of the red "circle" jersey.  The faux yoke was a positive for that look.  The lack of hem stripes hurt it but the real issue was the marginalizing of the logo in what is too big of an effort to be "retro." 
  4. First edition of red "circle" jersey.  I know I rank this lower than most, but I hated it from day 1.  I think it was the green spot on the sleeves; the faux yoke made it seem less "thrown on."  That green spot just looked out of place to me.
  5. Inaugural green jersey.  Big logo front-and-center...aforementioned issues (gold/yellow, number font)
  6. Inaugural white jersey.  Not as nice as green counterpart...same issues.
  7. Second edition of inaugural white jersey.  I don't like the original shoulder patch.  This one is worse.
  8. Script jersey.  Aesthetically pleasing, but not enough red and not enough bear.  A bear on the sleeves and more red stripes and/or number outline would have made it a serviceable alt.

So what happens when alts come?  The Wild introduce a red alt that minimizes the bear logo...the fans buy it in droves...and the maddening cycle starts again.

I shudder to think what they'll do for an alt.  A beige away alt?  Red just seems to be minimized.

My bet is a stripe heavy super throwback or some sort of barberpole mess. (Best? case is maybe something like the 1994 Gophers hockey jerseys?)

They'll go full fauxback.  

and we know, you never go full fauxback.

11 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Highly doubt they did that.  White jersey will likely be copy of the homes, with burgandy mountains.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

56 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

I am thrilled to have the mountain stripes back.  Yes there are some odd details but overall, watching a game on TV or in the rink, these will look so much better.

I am not sure what to do about the black pants and equipment.  Too much burgundy on the home if you go with burgundy pants.  Not enough burgundy on the road if you have blue pants.

Unless the mountains are burgandy, then there's plenty of burgandy on the road uniform.

1 hour ago, B-mer said:

After sleeping on it, my biggest gripe other than the Bruins socks is still the collars, but specifically the laceup ones.  The plain collar can work well if used correctly, but the way they just slapped the laces on looks like an afterthought and that they didn't want to have them, so they just put them on top of everything else to satisfy those who did. 

I'm in the air on the actual cut of the jerseys.  They pretty much have a standard cut and it reminds me a lot of the old, pre-edge one where you basically had a choice of rounded edge yokes or square at the shoulder stitching.  All of these jerseys have the same actual cut.  The strange part is the teams that required a rounded yoke have a Nike-esque wedge there to make up the difference, while still having the squared of shoulders.  Just seems like an interesting choice that makes me wonder if there is any real benefit (manufacturing perhaps?) in doing it this way compared to how the edge system did it. 

I'm hoping with more time and exposure the issues will lessen, and pray that some changes happen sooner rather than later.  Coming back to the Bruins socks, i actually was expecting them to go back to the old gold socks with the white stripe outlined in black.  looks like they went the other way.  Still don't like it.

I see what you’re saying. The Bruins’ socks, while they look better in a vacuum, are going to take some getting used to for people. Boston really has had a lot of uniform change over the years, though. Their look is not as untouched as it feels.

As for the laces, the shield has to be right there at the collar, and you can’t really put it under the laces, so your hands are kind of tied. :-) I do like the look of the more modern versions. They look more purposeful in this context than the dangly string classic version.

It’s not efficient to do a custom build like the Avs or Flyers for each jersey. That’s why it’s modular like that.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

9 minutes ago, tajmccall said:

I shudder to think what they'll do for an alt.  A beige away alt?  Red just seems to be minimized.

My bet is a stripe heavy super throwback or some sort of barberpole mess. (Best? case is maybe something like the 1994 Gophers hockey jerseys?)

They'll go full fauxback.  

and we know, you never go full fauxback.

My money would still be on red.  But I could see something fauxback to the non-existent 1930s-era Wild.  I tend to doubt they'd go with an away alt...alts seem to be a home thing.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

8 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Me too. This is why I like that Florida's doesn't go all the way around also. The Canadiens works because it's a white number on top of a colored stripe on top of a colored sweater. Flip side this is the same reason their white throwback jerseys with the chest stripe don't work because they have a colored number on top of a colored stripe and the number is harder to read. 

The Blackhawks chest stripe on the winter classic throwbacks was cream with cream numbers on top of it and they were illegible. The Wild would've had the same problem. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

The National Hockey League and adidas today unveiled the new ADIZERO Authentic NHL jerseys and uniforms for all 31 NHL teams, including the San Jose Sharks (@SanJoseSharks), which will make their on-ice debut with the 2017-18 season.  

QQeZcZL.gif

At the forefront of innovation, design and craftsmanship, the new ADIZERO Authentic NHL jersey takes the hockey uniform system and hockey jersey silhouette to the next level by redefining fit, feel and lightweight construction.

3ZPFFuh.gif

*Lighter - Featuring new cresting materials and construction technology, the ADIZERO Authentic NHL jersey reduces crest weight by up to 46%, while a single layer perforated numbering system reduces number weight by up to 60%, in order to deliver a new jersey that is up to 19% lighter when compared to the current NHL Jersey. 

4WeMI66.gif

*Cooler - The ADIZERO Authentic NHL jersey features adidas Clima® technology in each of the jersey fabrics to deliver breathability and enhanced performance. Combining moisture management technology and a streamlined silhouette to maximize air flow circulation with materials that are up to 133% more permeable than fabrics currently used on ice allows athletes to be cooler.

6zdseqS.gif

*Stronger - Constructed for durability, the ADIZERO Authentic NHL jersey fabrics are up to 27% stronger in burst testing

hd7rC6V.gif

and up to 72% tougher in abrasion testing

b6fyd3w.gif

POTD !!!

16 minutes ago, dont care said:

What logo appears on the fanatic jerseys? Will it be adidas, fanatics, or none at all?

Probably Fanatics' F-flag logo.

1 minute ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

I hate the fact that Minnesota and San Jose's jerseys don't match. Seriously its like wearing mismatched socks

Just wondering why jerseys need to be matched? Montreal's jerseys don't match and they're one of the classic uniforms in all of sport.

NSFCvyu.png

3 minutes ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

I hate the fact that Minnesota and San Jose's jerseys don't match. Seriously its like wearing mismatched socks.

I know this would somehow be "O6 dress up" but haven't the Canadiens been wearing mismatched home and away sweaters for years??

7 minutes ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

I hate the fact that Minnesota and San Jose's jerseys don't match. Seriously its like wearing mismatched socks.

I'm not sure why Minnesota's jersey would match with San Jose's jersey.

7 minutes ago, NYYNYR said:

POTD !!!

Seconded.

Anyway, after sleeping on it, here's my thoughts:

OMG IT'S PERFECT AND THEY SHOULD NEVER CHANGE ANYTHING EVER AGAIN:

Colorado, Vegas (I'm starting to become a fan. What have I done? Starting to seriously follow the NHL as soon as an expansion team starts up that I know I would be connected to? How?)

Huge Upgrade:

Carolina

Upgrade:

Minnesota, Columbus, Buffalo, Calgary (still terrible), St Louis

Meh, nothing to see here:

All the teams that didn't change at all, San Jose, Boston (like the legible numbers, but don't like the black socks)

Downgrade:

Nashville, Edmonton, Ottawa (you'll see them twice in my list - the numbers were the one thing that I liked, and then they got rid of them? Seriously?)

Huge Downgrade:

New Jersey

WTF WHY DIDN'T YOU CHANGE FROM EDGE YOU IDIOTS:

Washington, Ottawa

ExJworW.png

Archived