NHL 2017-18

Bmac

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's more detail shots I took at the Armoury earlier today, when I was at the Arena watching the Draft.

I hope this will satisfy everyone's curiosity on what they are looking for on an authentic jersey. Both home and road.  

IMG_7039.JPG

IMG_7040.JPG

IMG_7041.JPG

IMG_7042.JPG

IMG_7044.JPG

IMG_7045.JPG

IMG_7046.JPG

IMG_7047.JPG

4 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Sabres are saying lettered authentics are 249 in the store, and lettered replicas are 189.

Looks like the authentics are reasonable, at least compared to the replicas.

Are they made in Canada?

7 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

DDCfhxDXYAQ4LS-.jpg

I was half right.

The only part I got wrong was the inclusion of the warning flags. They kept the road completely unchanged.

The new roads should have warning flags. The inconsistency is terrible.

Bugs me that the width of the stripes on the road don't match the home as well.

Yes, but at least this is the only time you will ever see the home and road side by side like this. I just wish the warning flags were on both. 

Also, are the pants the new darker shade of red?? Looks odd if so since the road jersey doesn't have any of the darker red in it

33 minutes ago, bowld said:

Yes, but at least this is the only time you will ever see the home and road side by side like this. I just wish the warning flags were on both. 

Also, are the pants the new darker shade of red?? Looks odd if so since the road jersey doesn't have any of the darker red in it

I think it's just the shadow created by the jersey if you look at the right leg on the away you see where light actually hits it and it's a shade much closer to that found on the jersey

5 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Well, I hope this doesn't mean the front crest, but it probably does. Reebok/adidas has been sitting on this idea since 2006, but backed off of it last time.

Yeah I really hope this means shoulder patches are still screened/sublimated twill.  If the front crest is not embroidered, then $130 is a complete ripoff.  Didn't we hear that Vegas replicas will have all of the details in the front crest and sleeves as the authentic?  Cheaper sleeve patches I'd imagine. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

16 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

DDCT67CXsAABRDr.jpg

This is really growing on me.  It's nice and clean and the absence of blue on the striping makes the logo stand out.  The home is still the better of the two but that's the case for most teams anyways.  All in all, Colorado is the big winner of this uniform shakeup.  Even the collar is executed nicely on this set.

The Avs look great. Maybe the stripe outlines on the road jersey should be blue, but they don't look terrible the way they are.

I may be a bonafide Adidas hater, but I have to give them credit where credit is due. They did a fantastic job with the Avs.

Also, the Avs deserve praise for listening to the fans and finally correcting their decade-long mistake. That's more than can be said for the Capitals, Senators, Flames and Kings, who just tried to retrofit their old Edge templates onto the new Adidas sweaters and called it a day - without even bothering to make minor tweaks like matching the hem stripes (Kings) or ditching the side panels and flags (Flames).

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

23 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

...and Kings, who just tried to retrofit their old Edge templates onto the new Adidas sweaters and called it a day...

Not true. This was the Kings' Edge look...

RLr7Y3j.png

The current design was conceived specifically to get away from that look. IE to correct the Edge mistake. I know you really don't like the Kings in black and silver, but to lump that look in with Edge atrocities like Colorado, Calgary, and Ottawa is disingenuous.

The current Kings look features piping and contrasting armpit blotches - two widely-hated hallmarks of the Edge era. Just because it wasn't their original Edge look doesn't mean it isn't Edge-by-numbers regardless. If anything, it has more Reebok clichés than the first Edge look, so they didn't "fix" anything at all.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Also? It's a testament to how much this league has improved aesthetically in ten years that the Capitals' look is lumped in with the worst of the Edge designs. Washington's look was almost universally praised ten years ago because it was one of the best designs of the initial Edge offerings. The design hasn't actually changed in ten years, but most of the rest of the league caught up and surpassed them. 

All in all? This league-wide redesign was ok. My main problems with most looks are the collars. I just don't like this new style of collar. Aside from that? I'm liking that no one was forced into an Adidas template. It looks like teams had a lot of agency in the design process, and those that look bad look bad because of dumb decisions on their part.

25 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

The current Kings look features piping and contrasting armpit blotches - two widely-hated hallmarks of the Edge era. Just because it wasn't their original Edge look doesn't mean it isn't Edge-by-numbers regardless. If anything, it has more Reebok clichés than the first Edge look, so they didn't "fix" anything at all.

I can't hold the Kings' piping against the Edge design aesthetic. "Piping" when referring to the Edge uniforms usually refers to the "Bettman stripes" aka "piping to nowhere" aka "apron striping."

See Atlanta, Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, Florida, Nashville, and St. Louis for examples of that sort of piping from the original Edge class.

LA's piping, on the other hand, actually has a bit of history behind it. It's the sleeve-lenth yoke design, which has been around for decades at this point.

LA's current look even has echoes of one of their earlier looks.

Anaheim, Atlanta/Winnipeg, Colorado (past and present), Boston, Calgary, Columbus (past and present), Dallas, Nashville, the Rangers, Philadelphia (past and present), and Toronto have all used one or both of the elements the Kings currently use over the past (nearly) fifty years.

So no. I don't consider the piping the Kings use to be endemic of bad Edge design. It's a traditional hockey look.

10 hours ago, mafiaman said:

Love the new orange...hate the new blue.

Outside of the striping on the sleeves and waist (it should be thicker like their previous iterations) the Adidas uniforms clean up nicely. The brightening of the orange invites the opportunity to darken the blue - the entire palette would be too sharp if they had brightened the orange and kept royal.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

RLr7Y3j.png

These Kings uniforms were actually designed well IMO. No inconsistent piping, no weird Edge blotches on the underarms and sides, and a traditional look. While Kings fans might not like their previous color palette (and the fact that they look like the Sacramento Kings), this was the one time Reebok didn't completely f*** up.

NSFCvyu.png

Archived