NHL 2017-18

Bmac

1 hour ago, twi said:

I'm of the opinion that nothing Ottawa currently has in their stable of logos is befitting a professional team. That O is not a strong enough mark or identity. The only way I could see it working is if the old team had existed continuously and never changed from it. Perhaps it stretches even beyond being rational but I hate it and I'm not even sure why. 

The O isn't a good logo, even as a shoulder patch. It's far to simplistic to be effective. Even if you compare it to a similar logo like the Canadiens it pales in comparison.  Beef it up, give it a unique feature or shape that makes it look like not just a basic serif font capital O, put some laurels in it, something.

Oh, and drop the vintage white for actual white, and change the red outline on the letter to gold so it doesn't disappear into the red stripe.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Sens trouble me so much. They started out so well and looked so good, a dominant black yet unique colored team with red/white highlights. Then they went and jumped into the whole "we're red and black now" vibe, and got that silly looking 3D logo, and then turned into barber poles.

Just go back to what worked originally and update it.   It's not that freaking hard! 

9 hours ago, Sabres7200 said:

The O isn't a good logo, even as a shoulder patch. It's far to simplistic to be effective. Even if you compare it to a similar logo like the Canadiens it pales in comparison.  Beef it up, give it a unique feature or shape that makes it look like not just a basic serif font capital O, put some laurels in it, something.

Oh, and drop the vintage white for actual white, and change the red outline on the letter to gold so it doesn't disappear into the red stripe.

I've also advocated merging the themes and replacing the box background with the shield shape from the shoulder patch on the =O= jerseys and then wrapping it with the gold laurel leaf motif.  Then, as suggested in the thread, outlining the O itself in gold.  My drawing talent is not that strong so all I have is a mental image that I can't convert to a picture.

16 hours ago, twi said:

I'm of the opinion that nothing Ottawa currently has in their stable of logos is befitting a professional team. That O is not a strong enough mark or identity. The only way I could see it working is if the old team had existed continuously and never changed from it. Perhaps it stretches even beyond being rational but I hate it and I'm not even sure why. 

Well the Sens do honor the Old teams Stanley Cup wins like they're the same team so...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

57 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

Well the Sens do honor the Old teams Stanley Cup wins like they're the same team so...

So nothing. They're very clearly not the same team. But I agree they should honor the history of the former team of the same name. 

1 hour ago, twi said:

So nothing. They're very clearly not the same team. But I agree they should honor the history of the former team of the same name. 

They're definitely not the same team, but they are named after them, and honor them, so I think that the =O= works for the Senators, and would be easier to explain then a centurion (or is it SENturion?) branding.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

10 hours ago, BrianLion said:

The Sens trouble me so much. They started out so well and looked so good, a dominant black yet unique colored team with red/white highlights. Then they went and jumped into the whole "we're red and black now" vibe, and got that silly looking 3D logo, and then turned into barber poles.

Just go back to what worked originally and update it.   It's not that freaking hard! 

Their initial look was great, especially when they added white stripes to the black uniform and replaced the text on the logo with the laurel leaves.  It also honored the history of the previous franchise without going full barber-pole which, lets face it, is a dated design choice anyways.  Why those uniforms can't come back with the updated 2D Senator is beyond me.

5 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Dear Predators and Maple Leafs, could you show us your away uniforms please?

Are you expecting anything different from the Leafs? The other teams that introduced new uniforms for last year made no changes and the fact that the Leafs' home uniform didn't change is a dead giveaway.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

11 hours ago, CRichardson said:

Are you expecting anything different from the Leafs? The other teams that introduced new uniforms for last year made no changes and the fact that the Leafs' home uniform didn't change is a dead giveaway.

No, I'm not expecting anything, but Leafs and Preds (of course I'm mostly waiting for them) are the only teams that haven't show their away uniforms yet. :)

4r2eer.png

I mean the Leafs and Preds' roads will probably just be colour swapped versions of the homes. 

White with blue stripes for the Leafs and white with gold stripes bordering the navy for the Preds. 

I seriously doubt we're in for anything groundbreaking in either case.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

Gold stripes bordering the navy for the Preds.

I tend to agree, and whether navy is dominant or gold it's going to look embarrassingly plain.  Especially compared the striping of the previous road jersey which would have made for a modern classic if not for the horrible, intersecting piping.

75Qbu0u.jpg

Archived