NHL 2017-18

Bmac

43 minutes ago, B-mer said:

IMG_1744.thumb.JPG.821451a36727bd7baa6f3ff94e4f3d66.JPGIMG_1745.thumb.JPG.a8cb6cca71b2b2b38349ca93147fe664.JPG

I dunno. It looks alright but still like the gold socks better

For me, for the new numbers to work, the yellow should touch the white on the arm and hem stripes. That thin black stripe makes the yellow & white numbers not work well. 

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RollWolfpack said:

Unsure if the Canes have made it public anywhere, but Carolina will be using the 20th Anniversary logo at center ice this season according to the PNC Arena webcam. 

IMG_2297.PNG

Seems like the motto should be "20th Anniversary: We Can't Believe It, Either"

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

Traverse City prospects tournament has some of the teams showing off new looks

59b6b9c200328_2017-09-11at12-28-22.png.d0e8c3647d7ce218e81a9f6086b62d15.png

Ignore the blue helmets. I have a feeling a lot of you won't like the new sock stripes here for the Blue Jackets, but they please my need for consistency so I'm on board. 

The white jersey benefits a lot from this change. The home though, from a distance looks more like they're wearing blank practice socks and jereys. 

There are a fair amount of examples in hockey uniforms where inconsistencies work better. 

5 minutes ago, RollWolfpack said:

Unsure if the Canes have made it public anywhere, but Carolina will be using the 20th Anniversary logo at center ice this season according to the PNC Arena webcam. 

IMG_2297.PNG

Looks like center red features doubled-up warning flags, which should make some folks here unnecessarily happy...

I appreciate the historical significance of the Bruin's yellow socks but the uniform looks so much more clean and consistent without them.  On earlier iterations of their identity it worked but on the current set (which is still a top 5 look regardless) it was just a little too loud.  Unpopular opinion as it may be, I don't think the team has ever looked better.  The new numbers are a monumental improvement.

The Devils remind me of the Florida Panthers when they're on the ice... It looks okay, but would be so much better with an actual hem stripe...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

9 minutes ago, Morgo said:

I appreciate the historical significance of the Bruin's yellow socks but the uniform looks so much more clean and consistent without them.  On earlier iterations of their identity it worked but on the current set (which is still a top 5 look regardless) it was just a little too loud.  Unpopular opinion as it may be, I don't think the team has ever looked better.  The new numbers are a monumental improvement.

Sorry, I can't agree. The Bruins wore socks from 1931 to 2017. The Bruins' gold sock look was older than the Detroit Red WIngs' name and logo for crying out loud. It's older than the lace-up collar.

"More clean and consistent" does not mean "good." Plenty of classic uniforms, across all sports, have had inconsistencies here or there. That adds to the charm and uniqueness these looks have. Hell, what are the two most commonly cited "best uniforms in hockey"? The Blackhawks and Canadiens. Both of which have mismatching home and road sets.

So yeah, the Bruins look more consistent with black socks, but it doesn't mean they look "better." To me? They look too dark and too drab. The whole look just seems "off." Sure, it's a great look for a team. Just not the Boston Bruins.

Maybe the Bruins should do what the Preds did with the gold helmet. Wear the black socks occasionally but the gold socks are primary.  

I dont know if this makes sense, but the black looks good if they were a new young team making a [slightly] new identity. Like, the picture of Bjork there (#10) looks cool. But seeing veterans like Bergeron, Chara, Krejci in it seems so weird to me. 

36 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Bruins wore socks from 1931 to 2017. The Bruins' gold sock look was older than the Detroit Red WIngs' name and logo for crying out loud. It's older than the lace-up collar.

I wish someone would have told this to the designers.

Also, the Leafs ditched their traditional multi-layered socks they've been wearing for decades. They need to stop ruining all the classic looks, just for the sake of change.

22 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Bruins' gold sock look was older than the Detroit Red WIngs' name and logo for crying out loud. It's older than the lace-up collar.

"More clean and consistent" does not mean "good."

Plenty of classic uniforms, across all sports, have had inconsistencies here or there. That adds to the charm and uniqueness these looks have. Hell, what are the two most commonly cited "best uniforms in hockey"? The Blackhawks and Canadiens. Both of which have mismatching home and road sets.

So yeah, the Bruins look more consistent with black socks, but it doesn't mean they look "better." To me? They look too dark and too drab. The whole look just seems "off." Sure, it's a great look for a team. Just not the Boston Bruins.

Clean and consistent doesn't equal "good."  Arguable point.  But something being used for a very long time doesn't necessarily equal "good" either.  I don't expect many people to agree but I'd rather the sock stripes match the stripes of the uniform instead of using an entirely different pattern and color hierarchy to uphold the past.  As you've said a million times, uniforms evolve.  If they didn't the Blackhawks would be using a roundel on a barber-pole background.

22 minutes ago, Morgo said:

As you've said a million times, uniforms evolve. If they didn't the Blackhawks would be using a roundel on a barber-pole background.

I completely agree. Evolving is natural course of action for any brand over time. But there's a way to do it right and wrong. Reasons may vary. Some significant changes can be generally accepted; The Stars new green and black look received mostly positive comments, despite the team dropping the gold.

The Bruins yellow socks though are untouchable. Their 1st revamp when RBK took over, they knocked it out of the park. This one, not quite.

37 minutes ago, Morgo said:

But something being used for a very long time doesn't necessarily equal "good" either.

No, but I think the Bruins' gold socks looked good. *shrug*

38 minutes ago, Morgo said:

As you've said a million times, uniforms evolve.  If they didn't the Blackhawks would be using a roundel on a barber-pole background.

Except the Bruins' look has evolved. And each evolution since 1934 changed the uniform, but kept the gold socks. I don't feel like posting that many pics, so I'll just leave this for reference.

http://nhluniforms.com/Bruins/Bruins.html

The Bruins' look has changed considerably since the gold socks first showed up in 1931, but gold socks were the constant. Save for a two year window. The socks themselves have evolved, but have always remained gold at home. It seems incredibly foolhardy and disrespectful towards the brand and the team's history to just disregard all of that.

8 hours ago, B-mer said:

IMG_1744.thumb.JPG.821451a36727bd7baa6f3ff94e4f3d66.JPGIMG_1745.thumb.JPG.a8cb6cca71b2b2b38349ca93147fe664.JPG

I dunno. It looks alright but still like the gold socks better

The elimination of the black outline in the numbers was also a mistake. The numbers look like they don't belong. It honestly looks like another bad Providence Bruins jersey.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived