NHL 2017-18

Bmac

On 9/10/2017 at 3:51 PM, NoE38 said:

Buffalo's logos look amazing, but for the Rangers, they just look like they were designed by a little kid. To me, it doesn't look like there was any thought put into it.

I generally forego thinking when I design logos. Glad you like them!

2 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

I wish someone would have told this to the designers.

Also, the Leafs ditched their traditional multi-layered socks they've been wearing for decades. They need to stop ruining all the classic looks, just for the sake of change.

The designers are well aware of hockey’s visual history.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

No, but I think the Bruins' gold socks looked good. *shrug*

Except the Bruins' look has evolved. And each evolution since 1934 changed the uniform, but kept the gold socks. I don't feel like posting that many pics, so I'll just leave this for reference.

http://nhluniforms.com/Bruins/Bruins.html

The Bruins' look has changed considerably since the gold socks first showed up in 1931, but gold socks were the constant. Save for a two year window. The socks themselves have evolved, but have always remained gold at home. It seems incredibly foolhardy and disrespectful towards the brand and the team's history to just disregard all of that.

I understand the sentiment, but you're assuming a new design team just comes in and says, “WTF!? Why don't the socks match the jersey!?”

The teams have input on these changes and the requests can even come straight from them.

12 minutes ago, Brass said:

The elimination of the black outline in the numbers was also a mistake. The numbers look like they don't belong. It honestly looks like another bad Providence Bruins jersey.

Definitely disagree with this. The black trim badly muddied up the typography on the home uniform. The nameplate letters filled in at a distance and the number trim made them look fuzzy at the edges. The new ones are much cleaner and crisper, the readability is much better, and the new lettering matches their logo and brand quite nicely now. The numbers also match the shoulder yoke, so they integrate the uniform elements better as well.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, andrewharrington said:

Definitely disagree with this. The black trim badly muddied up the typography on the home uniform. The nameplate letters filled in at a distance and the number trim made them look fuzzy at the edges. The new ones are much cleaner and crisper, the readability is much better, and the new lettering matches their logo and brand quite nicely now. The numbers also match the shoulder yoke, so they integrate the uniform elements better as well.

Fair enough. I actually really liked the double outline for the letters and numbers. To each their own.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

2 minutes ago, Brass said:

Fair enough. I actually really liked the double outline for the letters and numbers. To each their own.

In all fairness, the new numbers (when they were the old numbers) worked much better with the old logo. Honestly, I wish they’d ditch the extra outline on the B and go back to the unique home and road color variations of the logo.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

No, but I think the Bruins' gold socks looked good. *shrug*

Except the Bruins' look has evolved. And each evolution since 1934 changed the uniform, but kept the gold socks. I don't feel like posting that many pics, so I'll just leave this for reference.

http://nhluniforms.com/Bruins/Bruins.html

The Bruins' look has changed considerably since the gold socks first showed up in 1931, but gold socks were the constant. Save for a two year window. The socks themselves have evolved, but have always remained gold at home. It seems incredibly foolhardy and disrespectful towards the brand and the team's history to just disregard all of that.

according to that site, there were a few years that they wore only white socks.  A google image search confirms it.

13061214450275.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

I understand the sentiment, but you're assuming a new design team just comes in and says, “WTF!? Why don't the socks match the jersey!?”

The teams have input on these changes and the requests can even come straight from them.

I'm not assuming anything. I can go back and check, but I don't think I ever blamed Adidas for the Bruins switching to black socks. I'm well aware that this process is collaborative. I don't know who first floated the idea to change the socks to black. Adidas or the team. Whoever it was? It was a mistake.

29 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

according to that site, there were a few years that they wore only white socks.  A google image search confirms it.

Meh. I missed those white sock sets entirely. Even then though? Gold socks first showed up in 1931. They wore them at home for all but four years between then and 2017. 82 out of 86 years in gold socks seems like a sufficiently strong piece of the team's visual history. I don't see any positive to blowing that up.

Knowing Jeremy Jacobs and even knowing that the Bruins' numbers are screen-printed, I wouldn't be surprised if the simplifying of the numbers on the Bruins' jerseys was meant as a cost-saving measure.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

14 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Sorry, I can't agree. The Bruins wore socks from 1931 to 2017. The Bruins' gold sock look was older than the Detroit Red WIngs' name and logo for crying out loud. It's older than the lace-up collar.

"More clean and consistent" does not mean "good." Plenty of classic uniforms, across all sports, have had inconsistencies here or there. That adds to the charm and uniqueness these looks have. Hell, what are the two most commonly cited "best uniforms in hockey"? The Blackhawks and Canadiens. Both of which have mismatching home and road sets.

So yeah, the Bruins look more consistent with black socks, but it doesn't mean they look "better." To me? They look too dark and too drab. The whole look just seems "off." Sure, it's a great look for a team. Just not the Boston Bruins.

My other issue with the new Bruins' socks is how similar they are to the Penguins' (which in my perfect world would not look like that to begin with, they'd better match the jersey striping, but they did have them first). There's two teams in the league who wear yellow and black and they have nearly identical socks. Same for the numbers on the back. Why invite those comparisons if you can avoid it? 

PvO6ZWJ.png

20 hours ago, B-mer said:

The white jersey benefits a lot from this change. The home though, from a distance looks more like they're wearing blank practice socks and jereys. 

There are a fair amount of examples in hockey uniforms where inconsistencies work better. 

Man, the Jackets' white sweater paired with the navy buckets looks quite nice. Not that it means anything. I'm sure it was just easier logistically to bring one set of helmets or something...

13 hours ago, B-mer said:

Speaking of gold...

IMG_1747.thumb.JPG.1f811477f844d0b061d5af70da06f17d.JPG

I think there's a lot more good than bad with these overall kits. It's clean and not cluttered, if a touch dull.

This jersey can be recuperated fairly easily with maybe a navy yoke with a white outline. You can make the white striping thicker and do white/navy/white. Boom. Instantly you have some cohesion with your new roads and don't have the unpleasant effect of the bottom of a sweater matching the hockey pants.

51 minutes ago, NYYNYR said:

Canes beat the Rangers in the annual Traverse City tourney a few days ago.

Anyone notice that they wore their RBK gear? Did they just not produce enough Adidas jerseys for the prospects tournament?

cut.png

I've been scoping out the rookie games to get glimpses of most of the Adidas unis, but a few teams stuck with the Reebok stuff for them. Minnesota was funny because for some of their camps they were using really old stuff from the first edge away set. Carolina, Vancouver, and maybe another team used Reebok as well. 

12 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I'm not assuming anything. I can go back and check, but I don't think I ever blamed Adidas for the Bruins switching to black socks. I'm well aware that this process is collaborative. I don't know who first floated the idea to change the socks to black. Adidas or the team. Whoever it was? It was a mistake.

Meh. I missed those white sock sets entirely. Even then though? Gold socks first showed up in 1931. They wore them at home for all but four years between then and 2017. 82 out of 86 years in gold socks seems like a sufficiently strong piece of the team's visual history. I don't see any positive to blowing that up.

My mistake. When you said:

“...It seems incredibly foolhardy and disrespectful towards the brand and the team's history to just disregard all of that.”

It made it it sound like you were placing the blame squarely on the licensee, but reading it again, I can see you implied that a team could theoretically be disrespectful toward its own brand and history.

43 minutes ago, twi said:

The new Arenas throwbacks look nice. 

Also, in before "who are the AreTnas?"  

I'm guessing the health company Aetna was originally supposed to be Aretnas, but there probably was a typo on the paperwork.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, B-mer said:

I've been scoping out the rookie games to get glimpses of most of the Adidas unis, but a few teams stuck with the Reebok stuff for them. Minnesota was funny because for some of their camps they were using really old stuff from the first edge away set. Carolina, Vancouver, and maybe another team used Reebok as well. 

cut.JPG

Calgary and Winnipeg were wearing their new Adidas uniform. Meanwhile, Vancouver and Edmonton were wearing their old Reebok, I"m guessing they are trying to get rid of the extra stocks of the uniforms? 

Cool to see the swirly in-numeral stitching from the Winter Classic jerseys brought back.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived