NHL 2017-18

Bmac

35 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I like the new number font. I like the new sock stripes. Fight me. 

New number font is much better. I think the new sock stripes look great on the white uniform, but on the navy set they're just a bit too minimalistic. But at least it matches the jersey striping now.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

59c265797a05e_2017-09-20at08-55-56.png.14a79498e452f494d6509d07f3812839.png

I'd say that's the best Columbus has ever looked.  The number font change was way overdue.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Unpopular opinion alert: I don't mind the Devils' new look at all (except for those red gloves, those need to go bye-bye)

I really like the updated number font for Columbus. My only issue with their home set is the collar treatment...looks sort of unfinished. Looks fine on the road, though.

My Behance Portfolio --- Follow @Steinosaur19

2LYbxnm.png

24 minutes ago, OhioSportsMan61 said:

Unpopular opinion alert: I don't mind the Devils' new look at all

WdumJ.gif

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the Ottawa Senators were wearing block numbers last night against Toronto. Maybe just a preseason thing?

EDIT: Nope, apparently not, according to the available options on shop.nhl.com. I must have just missed that bit of news in the onslaught of unveilings. A real shame, though; I thought the Sens' old number font was a great fit with the rest of their identity.

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

59c265797a05e_2017-09-20at08-55-56.png.14a79498e452f494d6509d07f3812839.png

It looks fine in this image, but from farther away its hard to even see theres a sock stripe there (just look like blank blue socks), and the piece of thicker white tape at the top illustrates my earlier point that a player could totally cover up one of the stripes with a strategically placed piece of tape. Really the only sock stripes in the league right now that are more "piping" than "striping". The white socks are way better because of the large block of blue in the middle.

19 minutes ago, njdevs7 said:

Its weird how things happen..

2007 switch to RBK: Everyone changes for change sake and many teams remove hem stripe - Devils don't change anything

2017 switch to Adidas: Most teams change nothing - Devils change for change sake and remove hem stripe

All you have to do is look at who was GM then. Lou Lamoriello stuck to his guns when it came to the brand change and he's also the reason why the Devils never had an alternate jersey. I also recall hearing that Reebok had to modify their template for the Devils as Lou was not willing to change the look of the Devils at all, could be wrong though but wouldn't surprise me if this was the case.

15 minutes ago, elliott said:

It looks fine in this image, but from farther away its hard to even see theres a sock stripe there (just look like blank blue socks), and the piece of thicker white tape at the top illustrates my earlier point that a player could totally cover up one of the stripes with a strategically placed piece of tape. Really the only sock stripes in the league right now that are more "piping" than "striping". The white socks are way better because of the large block of blue in the middle.

None of what you're saying is wrong, but this is the change I've wanted them to make for ten years to match the socks from their first alternate in 2004. fedorovb.jpg

Sock tape is a problem for every sock stripe in the league so that's whatever to me. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I definitely think the CBJ number font is an improvement. I tend not to like the socks, but who cares about socks? (OK, most of you...I don't really care, though).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

52 minutes ago, kiwi_canadian said:

All you have to do is look at who was GM then. Lou Lamoriello stuck to his guns when it came to the brand change and he's also the reason why the Devils never had an alternate jersey. I also recall hearing that Reebok had to modify their template for the Devils as Lou was not willing to change the look of the Devils at all, could be wrong though but wouldn't surprise me if this was the case.

Wouldn't surprise me as well. He wouldn't even budge for the outdoor game when the everyone got one-off chrome logo jerseys and the Devils just wore their regular throwback.

I stopped at the Blackhawks Store on Michigan Avenue this morning. They're selling the $180 Adizero jerseys for $220 blank, $280 customized. While most of the customized jerseys have the fully-sewn two-layer numbering, all of the Kane and Toews jerseys are done with the thin, screened twill from the Reebok replicas, presumably because these were customized at the factory. Still charging $280 for them, though. The material feels a little heavier than Adidas' World Cup of Hockey replicas, and the shoulders are double-layer, but there's no reinforcement on the elbows. The chain-stitching looks gorgeous, as always.

The practice jerseys, which are all printed except for the Adidas logos on the front and back, are being sold for $150.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

None of what you're saying is wrong, but this is the change I've wanted them to make for ten years to match the socks from their first alternate in 2004. fedorovb.jpg

Sock tape is a problem for every sock stripe in the league so that's whatever to me. 

I sort of wish they had made the hem stripes more consistent, as well...

Something like this:

Rsp6ek8.png

My Behance Portfolio --- Follow @Steinosaur19

2LYbxnm.png

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I definitely think the CBJ number font is an improvement. I tend not to like the socks, but who cares about socks? (OK, most of you...I don't really care, though).

In theory we shouldnt have to care about socks as much, because they should just match another part of the uniform like arm striping or shoulder striping. I really, really don't like the islanders home socks because they don't match the striping at all and seem utterly random.

However socks can definitely be an element that give a uniform charm or a unique aspect. The old Bruins and Leafs socks are great examples of this. Sadly both are gone now. I also think that socks become important when they throw off the color balance of the uniform. The old Caps socks illustrate this. Weird leotard effect.

washington-capitals-tickets.jpg.870x570_q70_crop-smart_upscale.jpg

Although the new Jackets socks are consistent i think it's just a little too much blue down there, but one could argue that the home jersey has the same exact issue. personally i'm a huge fan of their away look, but home isn't as good.

15 hours ago, Bruins said:

Finally got a look at the B's w/ black socks:

636414513786937167-SI-20170919-lbm-ad7-02.jpg.32cb92dd17f06802282ab9139d51e1c4.jpg

636414513790213188-AP-Red-Wings-Bruins-Hockey-M-2-.jpg.ea13152e3d92e907b9f5bd56f02b98ec.jpg

It's really... not quite as bad as i thought it was gonna be. But something still feels off. Modern. It's too modern. I mean It's still top 3 in the league, but with less integrity. Definitely a mistake.

Those new numbers don't look half bad though.

They would look great if the shoulders were plain black like they were in the 1970s, but it looks top-heavy without the gold socks to balance the yoke.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I've had enough time to get used to them. But I still think most of the new Adidas collars look really bad, especially those where the NHL centerpiece thing stick out when the team uses contrasting colors. In those cases, the remainder of the collar forms a weird and ugly shape. They had potential, but overall it's mostly a downgrade.

Many looks got worse, this year.

Archived