NHL 2017-18

Bmac

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

It bothers me because Las Vegas should not have been awarded an expansion team. Maybe I'll be wrong but it seems as though it will be somewhat like the Coyotes or Hurricanes situations.

I feel that the myth of hockey only belonging in traditional cold-weather markets has been totally busted. So far the organization has been appearing to make all of the right decisions and the team has a lot of good buzz. We'll see if they can keep it going, but being the first major sport team in the city will definitely help IMO.

spacer.png

Was looking for a picture of the Wild in their new Adidas jerseys, and stumbled upon this.

https://www.lids.com/minnesota-wild-adidas-nhl-youth-jersey-long-sleeve-t-shirt/20850533

What the :censored: ? It says it's a Reebok t-shirt, but it looks just like a jersey. And not like a jersey the Wild have ever worn.

Any ideas?

2 hours ago, henburg said:

I feel that the myth of hockey only belonging in traditional cold-weather markets has been totally busted. So far the organization has been appearing to make all of the right decisions and the team has a lot of good buzz. We'll see if they can keep it going, but being the first major sport team in the city will definitely help IMO.

Let's not get carried away. Sure, the uniforms look good, and they're basically sold out, for the first three years.

The owner has still made some questionable calls, primarily regarding their sports network choice. They have yet to play a regular season game. I'm willing to give them room to succeed, but they haven't actually accomplished anything yet.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

14 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

It bothers me because Las Vegas should not have been awarded an expansion team. Maybe I'll be wrong but it seems as though it will be somewhat like the Coyotes or Hurricanes situations.

Funny that you cherry-picked the two warm weather locations with teams currently struggling (though Carolina won a Cup) to suit your opinion. But ignored the fact that the NHL has flourished in LA, Anaheim, San Jose, Nashville, Tampa, and Dallas.  

36 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

Funny that you cherry-picked the two warm weather locations with teams currently struggling (though Carolina won a Cup) to suit your opinion. But ignored the fact that the NHL has flourished in LA, Anaheim, San Jose, Nashville, Tampa, and Dallas.  

Nashville particularly is of note. They were a market a lot of people had written off, but managed to turn it around. Right now they even seem to be NBC's new darling franchise, jumping from 2 national TV dates to 7. There's a sentence I never thought I'd be writing, a year ago.

They're still not the proven draw the Blackhawks, Rangers or Bruins are, but this is a franchise that nearly moved to Hamilton, a decade ago.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

1 hour ago, BrianLion said:

I did that on purpose. I said I could be wrong but it feels like a situation like Arizona and Carolina, where the fans' interest has been tepid. You're right, to a degree. Some of those fanbases that you had mentioned have flourished. But you cannot say that Tampa, Dallas, or even LA are as hockey-crazed as a potential city like Quebec City. Even Seattle (not a warm weather city) is a bad choice for an expansion team. All I am saying is that Las Vegas seems to be a bad choice.

But this is a hockey uniform and logo thread, so I will say it again. I love the Golden Knights' identity.

Thought we went over this before: the lion's share of the resentment toward the Golden Knights is that two cities applied for two expansion teams but only one city got one. The league's message that no 32nd team at all was better than a 32nd team in Quebec City was among the larger dumps the NHL has taken on its core fanbase (not to mention the city that did everything the league asked, including building a half-billion-dollar arena that will now host major-junior games and Habs preseason tossoffs) and it's hard for the ill will not to spill over into Vegas, who technically didn't cause this turn of events but were still close enough to it to be annoyed with them.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Also, Bill Foley comes off as a super dingus who might not be able to fill his arena with comp tickets by 2020 if he's allowed to be in charge of things.

Very nice uniforms, though.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

19 minutes ago, tohasbo said:

probably like that screen printed look.  

Doesn't look like the front crests are sublimated or screened...there's some kind of twill patch on the Avs, Predators, GKnights, and Leafs.  They say the crests are lighter weight and easier to fold.

Looks like the shoulder patches are screened twill.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Is it possible the front crests are woven, like the shoulder patches on many of the new Adizero jerseys?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived