NHL 2017-18

Bmac

1 hour ago, tohasbo said:

I was not trying to be harsh at all.  Not my intention to be harsh, either.  

I was only apologizing for what I had stated as a fact when it is all a rumour.

I meant what I said sounded harsh. :-)

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John McDonough doesn't like alternate jerseys, so don't get your heart set on the black third coming back (though he did seem to allow the Winter Classic sweater to stick around for a couple years).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

43 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

This all make sense. But the same circumstances appear to exist with Nike and the NBA, but they're managing to produce at least three new uniforms (and, in some cases, four) for each team,  as well as Christmas Day specials, All-Star unis and warmups. Is the production of NHL uniforms that much more demanding than it is for the NBA? 

For one, there’s not much new identity. A few new lettering pieces, but otherwise all existing logos. Minnesota was done by an outside agency. The Cavs got new type, but the logos were compiled from existing ones.

Two, most of the thirds we’ve seen thus far are the same as what was being worn before, or a riff on the team’s existing design.

Three, I don’t know how big the design team working on this stuff is, how they work, or what their goal is, nor do I know how NBA teams briefed these projects.

Four, in general, there is a bit less “design” on an basketball uniform v. a hockey uniform (depending on the team, of course).

Those things make huge differences.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

John McDonough doesn't like alternate jerseys, so don't get your heart set on the black third coming back (though he did seem to allow the Winter Classic sweater to stick around for a couple years).

Here are the teams that I think that will have alternates:

Anaheim, Arizona, Boston, Calgary, Carolina, Colorado, Columbus, Dallas, Edmonton, Florida, LA Kings, Minnesota, Nashville, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, New Jersey, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, San Jose, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Vegas, Vancouver, Washington and Winnipeg

23 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

For one, there’s not much new identity. A few new lettering pieces, but otherwise all existing logos. Minnesota was done by an outside agency. The Cavs got new type, but the logos were compiled from existing ones.

Two, most of the thirds we’ve seen thus far are the same as what was being worn before, or a riff on the team’s existing design.

Three, I don’t know how big the design team working on this stuff is, how they work, or what their goal is, nor do I know how NBA teams briefed these projects.

Four, in general, there is a bit less “design” on an basketball uniform v. a hockey uniform (depending on the team, of course).

Those things make huge differences.

That all makes sense. Thanks for the insight. 

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Plus they're probably getting an outdoor game at Notre Dame next season, and the outdoor racket basically gives the Hawks a new alternate jersey every season.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

43 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Plus they're probably getting an outdoor game at Notre Dame next season, and the outdoor racket basically gives the Hawks a new alternate jersey every season.

It's a shame, because the original black alternate looked so good.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

The Sens season ticket packages for this year add even more fuel to the full time =O= fire. 

IMG_0814.PNG

A chest stripe contrasting the logo like that would look pretty good, and help liven up that horribly boring logo a bit.

58 minutes ago, Danny said:

I'd like to see the Oilers get a navy alternate without shoulder yokes.

That's what they did the first time they switched to navy. It looked better then and I think changing the new one would make it look better now too. The orange jersey needs to keep the yoke, though. Just change the white.

Also, it would help distinguish the road Oilers from the road Sabres a little more.

Useless hockey fact that I just learned watching the Leafs/Jets game.  For a league that was considering having all jerseys tucked in with the Reebok Edge jerseys in 2007, they introduced a rule for the 2013-14 season that all players can't have their jerseys tucked in.  I find that kind of funny.

On 10/3/2017 at 2:38 PM, Morgo said:

Maybe.  I certainly expect them to be worlds better than the alternate class that followed the Edge switch-over.  Ottawa SNES anyone?  Just for fun, here are my predictions:

Anaheim Ducks - Orange alternate returns unchanged in preparation for eventual switch.

Calgary Flames - Retro red returns but never reaches full time status because the ownership is incompetent.
Carolina Hurricanes - Black alternate returns unchanged.

Colorado Avalanche - Rockies inspired logo returns on a new jersey using their lighter blue.  Snow capped yokes return in a more traditional shape.
Columbus Blue Jackets - Canon returns on a new uniform design, hopefully without vintage white and that awful number font.
Edmonton Oilers - Royal Blue, Gretzky era throwback.

Florida Panthers - Updated, leaping-panther becomes the main crest on a navy base with simple, traditional stripes.

Minnesota Wild - Iron Range reds return without the phantom yoke.  Team inexplicably forgoes hem stripes.

New Jersey Devils - Red and Green throwback gets butchered in a way similar to their main set.
Ottawa Senators - Heritage jersey without vintage white in preparation for the eventual switch.

San Jose - 'Black Armour' returns with even less stripes (for performance reasons of course ;) ).

St Louis Blues - Arch roundel returns on a new uniform design.

Tampa Bay Lightning - Cup era throwback with "Bolts" replacing their original logo.

Vancouver Canucks - Johnny Canuck becomes the main crest on a blue jersey with striping similar to the previous alt.

Washington Capitals - 70's era throwback.

I would assume the Pens would be bringing back the successful gold alternate from last season. It was well-received, and worn at least twice after the outdoor win over Philadelphia. I didn't realize the Pens also wore the original gold alternate during the early 80s NHL playoffs.

13 hours ago, M4One said:

Useless hockey fact that I just learned watching the Leafs/Jets game.  For a league that was considering having all jerseys tucked in with the Reebok Edge jerseys in 2007, they introduced a rule for the 2013-14 season that all players can't have their jerseys tucked in.  I find that kind of funny.

And then players were stapling the jerseys to their equipment to get around that rule.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Edmonton's new look is completely ruined by the new navy helmets. They look black and don't match the shoulders or pants at all.

Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 4.04.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 4.04.00 PM.png

The old pre-Edge ones were much closer.

Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 4.07.08 PM.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived