NHL 2017-18

Bmac

5 hours ago, insert name said:

So this but replace NEW YORK with RANGERS. 

new-york-rangers-third-3rd-jersey.jpg

Judging by the cap, it'll be plain white text with no outline on the front, white will replace cream, and the red/white/red stripes will be equal thickness.  I think that could produce a look different enough from that navy alt.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're celebrating the history of Ottawa hockey. No one with half a brain cell thinks it's the same Ottawa Senators. I hate when teams monkey around with history, this is just honoring an old team with a one off jersey. The whole event is a celebration of the league's 100 years. 

57 minutes ago, twi said:

No one with half a brain cell thinks it's the same Ottawa Senators.

Why are so many people clamoring for a full-time heritage look then?  The recent promotion of the =O= just comes off as a pathetic attempt to siphon the success of the silver-seven or worse; an admission that current incarnation of the Senators won't ever win a championship.

2 hours ago, Morgo said:

Why are so many people clamoring for a full-time heritage look then?  The recent promotion of the =O= just comes off as a pathetic attempt to siphon the success of the silver-seven or worse; an admission that current incarnation of the Senators won't ever win a championship.

I think its because Ottawa had a decent uniform/identity at their debut and has only gone progressively downhill since then. People just want a change and the =O= is an easy thing to gravitate to.

3 hours ago, Morgo said:

I don't speak for other people but I honestly really like the heritage look and I will be disappointed if the Senators new away jersey next season isn't the vintage white 2014 Heritage Classic jersey. I agree that the =O= is a boring logo but I love the look of it on the Heritage jerseys. It suits the jerseys so well and I honestly love the look of the red, black, and beige barberpole jerseys. 

8 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I think its because Ottawa had a decent uniform/identity at their debut and has only gone progressively downhill since then. People just want a change and the =O= is an easy thing to gravitate to.

I agree but they could have done something really great.  The updated, 2D-centurion on a vintage-white-less heritage template would honor the entire history of Ottawa hockey and allow the =O= logo to do what works; serve as a shoulder patch.

11 hours ago, Morgo said:

People can want to embrace the heritage look without pretending the new Senators are the old Senators.

Nor do I see embracing the =O= as a sign that they're admitting that the current team will never win anything. That's honestly preposterous.

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

People can want to embrace the heritage look without pretending the new Senators are the old Senators.

Nor do I see embracing the =O= as a sign that they're admitting that the current team will never win anything. That's honestly preposterous.

How is it preposterous?  The current team has used a centurion for 25+ plus years, which is longer than the original team was even around for, and they're throwing their history away to use a double stroked, Times-New-Roman "O" for no other reason than to siphon the success of a team that hasn't been around in over 80 years.  Seems like admission of failure to me.

13 minutes ago, Morgo said:

How is it preposterous?  The current team has used a centurion for 25+ plus years, which is longer than the original team was even around for, and they're throwing their history away to use a double stroked, Times-New-Roman "O" for no other reason than to siphon the success of a team that hasn't been around in over 80 years.  Seems like admission of failure to me.

Some changes can be just about aesthetics and popularity, not every change has anything to do with sucess. The current 3D logo (and the 1999-07 version for that matter) hasn't been popular in Ottawa for a while.

And the original team was around for 50 years with the barber pole debuting in 1896 and a version of the O logo first appearing in 1900, so that point doesn't stand either.

16 hours ago, Morgo said:

I don't know, people like it?

For the record that change would be taking a poor identity and dropping it to 31st in the league by a large margin. Simply not a strong enough mark or look to build an identity around. 

Archived