NHL 2017-18

Bmac

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

,The adizero Indonesian "authentics" are definitely not Premier Replicas with fight straps. There's double-layer material on the shoulders, and all the patches are sewn on and either embroidered or woven (as some teams have adopted for their shoulder patches.) On the Blackhawks ones, everything is chain-stitched. The problems with it, adidas template construction aside, are that all customization is done in the cheap Premier screened twill, if you're buying from Fanatics or most of your local retailers. Even at the Blackhawks Store, where blanks are being sold for $225, the Kane and Toews jerseys are all customized in screened twill, because the biggest players are getting produced in bulk at the factory.

The suggested $180 retail isn't that bad when viewed in the context of the Reebok Premiers going for $130 (which was really, really bad.) I have seen them for as low as $140 as some retailers. When you consider that 11 years ago, the going rate for a CCM/Koho replica with glued-on crests and no fight strap was $85-90, that seems reasonable.

Has anyone seen the Canadian-made 7387s pop up for sale anywhere yet?

Isn't the NHL going to single-layer twill this year on the ice?  Wasn't that announced, for weight purposes?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think only seven teams actually use screened twill on ice: The six that adopted the speed hole numbers this season (CBJ, DAL, EDM, FLA, OTT, VGK?) and the Predators, who have used screened twill since introducing the guitar string numbers. I'm not certain, though.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

8 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Even at the Blackhawks Store, where blanks are being sold for $225, the Kane and Toews jerseys are all customized in screened twill, because the biggest players are getting produced in bulk at the factory.

I purchased a Toews Adizero jersey from the Blackhawks team store and it was multilayer twill numbers. Haven’t been to the down to the United Center or Michigan Ave retail stores, so I can’t comment about what they are selling there. 

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

My sampling was at the Michigan Ave store shortly after the retail rollout, so perhaps things have changed after that initial batch. All the other players were done in standard two-layer twill, though.

Also, if I may pry, why'd you buy one?

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

9 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

My sampling was at the Michigan Ave store shortly after the retail rollout, so perhaps things have changed after that initial batch. All the other players were done in standard two-layer twill, though.

Also, if I may pry, why'd you buy one?

Makes sense. My order when in as a customized name/number and I chose Toews. I guess it wouldn't surprise me if they were purchasing pre-numbered Toews/Kane/Keith/Crawford jerseys from a supplier and those were numbered with screened twill.

A few reasons for buying: I was looking to get an authentic-ish red Toews jersey, I was curious about the Adizero jerseys, and under $200 for a chain-stitched and numbered jersey seemed decent compared to Edge 2.0 pricing. 

In the end, I'm pretty happy with it--I think its quality is proportional to its price. The collar is acceptable (not good, but not as bad as many other teams), and the shoulder logos need to be further down the shoulder, but overall not bad in the end.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

19 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

I think only seven teams actually use screened twill on ice: The six that adopted the speed hole numbers this season (CBJ, DAL, EDM, FLA, OTT, VGK?) and the Predators, who have used screened twill since introducing the guitar string numbers. I'm not certain, though.

Boston's numbers are also partially screen-printed, or at least they were up until this season. They used two-layer twill with the small layer between the two colors screen-printed on and then stitched to simulate an extra layer of stitched twill.

I have no doubt that it was meant as a cost-saving measure, as was the move to two-color numbers, since Jeremy Jacobs is a penny-pincher.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I've complained enough about the Rangers' new Winter Classic jerseys, but there are some things I really love.

Chain-stitching on felt patches!

DPakoiwXkAAcKbo.jpg

Double-layered letters!

DPakoiTW0AEIxkH.jpg

The attention to detail is amazing.

I also love that they're swapping out the NY for Captain and Alternate patches.

Rangers001.jpg ff_2870549alt2_full.jpg&w=1200

I still think it's too way busy, especially once you add the name and numbers, but really love all the little details.  Would be a shame if this is just a one-off, it's better than the other retro navy-blue third.

Under Armour with the NHL deal. *shudder*

13 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Under Armour with the NHL deal. *shudder*

Honestly, I think anyone would have been a better option than Adidas, save for Nike.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Bauer's the one true hockey company left that still makes sweaters (Reebok/Adidas bought out CCM/Koho years back, and it's what got the latter's foot in the door). It's a shame we won't get to see what they would have done with the opportunity.

16 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Bauer's the one true hockey company left that still makes sweaters (Reebok/Adidas bought out CCM/Koho years back, and it's what got the latter's foot in the door). It's a shame we won't get to see what they would have done with the opportunity.

Bauer made the Predators jerseys in their inaugural year, correct?  Not that 1999 has anything to do with jerseys today...but it's fun to think that was one of those random jersey deals.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Bauer only had the Preds in the NHL for that one season, and that was it. They had the full league deal for the IHL, though, and I think they did several AHL clubs in the mid-late '90s as well. Bauer was a Nike property at that point, right?

9 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Bauer only had the Preds in the NHL for that one season, and that was it. They had the full league deal for the IHL, though, and I think they did several AHL clubs in the mid-late '90s as well. Bauer was a Nike property at that point, right?

Yep. Bauer was a Nike subsidiary from 1995-2008.

I know they're wildly impractical in the current day of ultralight performance materials, but those Bauer Ultrafil authentics from that era are so comfortable and sturdy.

2 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

I know they're wildly impractical in the current day of ultralight performance materials, but those Bauer Ultrafil authentics from that era are so comfortable and sturdy.

Yeah I remember the '98 Team Canada sweater I had being particularly nice.

And hey, the whole ultralight performance materials stuff is overblown anyway. I've got a plain white Bauer sweater I use for pickups. It's great. A Bauer NHL contract might have been our best shot at getting back to the golden age of the late 90s/early 2000s.

Archived