NHL 2017-18

Bmac

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I just find it suspicious that Nike, for example, comes out with distinct and recognizable collars for each of their templates.  They extol the virtues and improved function of each collar, then replace it with a different and equally visually distinctive new one a year later. 

There may indeed be some function behind each of them.  But I don’t think it’s out of line to suspect that function is not driving the design process.  

According to reporter Steve Carp, the word is that the wide collars are to accommodate ads in the future.

https://blackhawkup.com/2017/06/21/chicago-blackhawks-nhl-unveil-new-adidas-jerseys/

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve Carp didn't think before he typed.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

While I have given some thought about the Adidas NHL jerseys, the two teams that I want, L.A. and Vancouver, didn't make much of any changes at all from their Reebok predecessors, aside from the new collar. Now I'm not sure whether I want to get the Adidas jerseys of either team because of that.....

UBwef0L.png

4 hours ago, TheGoldenTriangle said:

Does anybody know if the Predators used their Anniversary Logo in their uniforms at all? I’m watching the game and I can’t find it anywhere.

They have not. Which makes it doubly odd that they created versions of the mark for use on gold vs on white. Like, totally re-colored, not just different keylines.

The Rangers jersey has grown on me, but there's still one too many design elements. If they're going to have that shield on the chest at all, it should only be used for captains.

On 29/11/2017 at 2:31 AM, johnnysama said:

While I have given some thought about the Adidas NHL jerseys, the two teams that I want, L.A. and Vancouver, didn't make much of any changes at all from their Reebok predecessors, aside from the new collar. Now I'm not sure whether I want to get the Adidas jerseys of either team because of that.....

Up to you really, but the changes are so minimal that I wouldn't bother.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

3 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Something really bothers me with the NYR winter classic sweater.  Maybe its the stripe thickness?  Or the lack of red in the wordmark?

For me, it's the affectation of "vintage blue," as if they wore navy blue in Ye Olden Days that has simply faded to royal blue since then due to low-quality dyes, detergents, or both. They do this with all their throwbacks, but the Rangers always wore a medium blue.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I got my first hands-on with a Fanatics jersey today. Let's get into it.

UKXj8Zn.png

One thing photos can't convey is just how thin and light the crest is. Fanatics can call it "FanFlex" all they want, the descriptor that's first going to come to mind for you is "flimsy." If you look closely, you'll notice that some areas on the edge of the crest are white. because the border wasn't overprinted enough, or the cutting of the crest was slipshod.

mcvNHoQ.png

Most of the crest is done in screened twill. In the case of the Blackhawks, the face paint details and yellow hair details are embroidered; everything else is screened. Stitching is run through some areas of the crest to give the effect of pieces or layers sewn together, though it's actually just one piece. Also, some parts of the crest are given an iridescent or reflective treatment, like the skin on the face here. Note how the embroidery of the face paint distorts or damages the treatment.

3ppkKa5.png

Moving onto the feathers, some, but not all, of the headdress elements are separated with stitching. The green segments get the reflective treatment; the remainder is flat, screened twill.

wf9u4nr.png

On the shoulder patch, the green and yellow get the reflective treatment. Material is on par with Reebok's Premier shoulder patches. Strangely, the black portion of the patch feels like it's printed on top of the other colors. It also feels like something that could start wearing away after a few washes.

The NHL shield is embroidered, as it was on Reebok Premiers, but the detail is improved.

PoUnIxs.png

The black stripes are strips of material sewn onto the white background. Note the uneven, sloppy stitching joining the red and white sections of the jersey. Also, if you've handled a lot of jerseys in your day, you may be able to tell what that material feels like by looking at it. It is a little smoother than old CCM replica jerseys, but it is incredibly thin. Think of the pre-550 CCMs of the early '90s mixed with a thinner version of the old Logo 7 football jerseys from Kmart. And for those of us who own some of those old, thin jerseys, we know that the material can snag and pull very easily.

Look, it's your money. But if you have $130 to spend on one of these, just wait until you have $180 to spend on an adidas one instead. (Or $135-$140 right now at SportsK for a handful of teams.) There is nothing about the quality of this jersey that justifies the price point. Stay away. If you want to go cheap, there are now low-end NHL jerseys for sale with fully-embroidered crests and screened twill shoulder patches for $55-60, but the catch is that every team's jersey is done in the same template, with a triple hem stripe and vertical sleeve piping. Those sell for $55-60 at Target, or $40 at Costco.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yikes. I feel like the Indian Head is uniquely unsuited for cost-cutting measures, too: what they could get away with on, say, the Devils, they can't here. Maybe they should charge extra for teams that require more work to get right if they aren't already. (I think the mail-order retailers in The Hockey News did this.) The feathers look especially sloppy here.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Holy Jesus, Photobucket wants me to pay $400 a year to share photos now. Anybody know a place I can upload them that isn't insane?

15 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

The Rangers jersey has grown on me, but thre's still one too many design elements. If they're going to have that shield on the chest at all, it should only be used for captains.

I like the shield, I'd rather get rid of the phantom yoke stripes.  That's the bridge too far for me.

12 hours ago, the admiral said:

For me, it's the affectation of "vintage blue," as if they wore navy blue in Ye Olden Days that has simply faded to royal blue since then due to low-quality dyes, detergents, or both. They do this with all their throwbacks, but the Rangers always wore a medium blue.

In most cases, I would agree with you.  But as much as I love royal blue, I don't like pairing it with red.  The gray values of the two are too similar.  Besides, the application of darker blue on the last two Rangers alternates has been great.

My son just got into hockey, and has been considering which team to support.  He's like me in needing to be local, so that leaves him two options.  The Islanders won't be in Brooklyn for long, so the field is wide open.  And this Winter Classic jersey may have pushed him over the brink.

Ew, no.  I love the idea of using Lady Liberty, but those were hideous then, and they're hideous now.

I don't know if its the silly "NYR " initialism, or the modern-ish chevron stripes for an overwhelmingly classical team.  But they're not right.  They just feel all wrong for the Rangers.  The Rangers have had the same basic look since the 1940s.  If they are to have an alternate, it should compliment that legacy, not clash with it.

23 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Ew, no.  I love the idea of using Lady Liberty, but those were hideous then, and they're hideous now.

I don't know if its the silly "NYR " initialism, or the modern-ish chevron stripes for an overwhelmingly classical team.  But they're not right.  They just feel all wrong for the Rangers.  The Rangers have had the same basic look since the 1940s.  If they are to have an alternate, it should compliment that legacy, not clash with it.

The Lady Liberty set would've been a great full-time look if the Rangers were an expansion team. They are far from hideous, but maybe not right for an O6 team.

Archived