Bmac

NHL 2017-18

23 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Ew, no.  I love the idea of using Lady Liberty, but those were hideous then, and they're hideous now.

I don't know if its the silly "NYR " initialism, or the modern-ish chevron stripes for an overwhelmingly classical team.  But they're not right.  They just feel all wrong for the Rangers.  The Rangers have had the same basic look since the 1940s.  If they are to have an alternate, it should compliment that legacy, not clash with it.

The Lady Liberty set would've been a great full-time look if the Rangers were an expansion team. They are far from hideous, but maybe not right for an O6 team.

For the winter classic those liberty jerseys are better than the ones they chose.

Which are just a navy version of their white away jerseys 

11 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

I got my first hands-on with a Fanatics jersey today. Let's get into it.

20171129_183804_zpsmnmvcbkt.jpg

One thing photos can't convey is just how thin and light the crest is. Fanatics can call it "FanFlex" all they want, the descriptor that's first going to come to mind for you is "flimsy." If you look closely, you'll notice that some areas on the edge of the crest are white. because the border wasn't overprinted enough, or the cutting of the crest was slipshod.

20171129_183821_zpsmjtuavdi.jpg

Most of the crest is done in screened twill. In the case of the Blackhawks, the face paint details and yellow hair details are embroidered; everything else is screened. Stitching is run through some areas of the crest to give the effect of pieces or layers sewn together, though it's actually just one piece. Also, some parts of the crest are given an iridescent or reflective treatment, like the skin on the face here. Note how the embroidery of the face paint distorts or damages the treatment.

20171129_183839_zpshenlcjym.jpg

Moving onto the feathers, some, but not all, of the headdress elements are separated with stitching. The green segments get the reflective treatment; the remainder is flat, screened twill.

20171129_183917_zpso8mkg3kl.jpg

On the shoulder patch, the green and yellow get the reflective treatment. Material is on par with Reebok's Premier shoulder patches. Strangely, the black portion of the patch feels like it's printed on top of the other colors. It also feels like something that could start wearing away after a few washes.

20171129_184009_zpsj530qu2v.jpg

The NHL shield is embroidered, as it was on Reebok Premiers, but the detail is improved.

20171129_183954_zpsvkdhljxp.jpg

The black stripes are strips of material sewn onto the white background. Note the uneven, sloppy stitching joining the red and white sections of the jersey. Also, if you've handled a lot of jerseys in your day, you may be able to tell what that material feels like by looking at it. It is a little smoother than old CCM replica jerseys, but it is incredibly thin. Think of the pre-550 CCMs of the early '90s mixed with a thinner version of the old Logo 7 football jerseys from Kmart. And for those of us who own some of those old, thin jerseys, we know that the material can snag and pull very easily.

Look, it's your money. But if you have $130 to spend on one of these, just wait until you have $180 to spend on an adidas one instead. (Or $135-$140 right now at SportsK for a handful of teams.) There is nothing about the quality of this jersey that justifies the price point. Stay away. If you want to go cheap, there are now low-end NHL jerseys for sale with fully-embroidered crests and screened twill shoulder patches for $55-60, but the catch is that every team's jersey is done in the same template, with a triple hem stripe and vertical sleeve piping. Those sell for $55-60 at Target, or $40 at Costco.

Thanks for the tip, Sodboy13.

On 11/28/2017 at 6:31 PM, johnnysama said:

While I have given some thought about the Adidas NHL jerseys, the two teams that I want, L.A. and Vancouver, didn't make much of any changes at all from their Reebok predecessors, aside from the new collar. Now I'm not sure whether I want to get the Adidas jerseys of either team because of that.....

I wouldn't bother with the Canucks jersey unless you really want a jersey for the team and don't already have one. Might as well wait for changes in the future or a 3rd jersey. 

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Ew, no.  I love the idea of using Lady Liberty, but those were hideous then, and they're hideous now.

I don't know if its the silly "NYR " initialism, or the modern-ish chevron stripes for an overwhelmingly classical team.  But they're not right.  They just feel all wrong for the Rangers.  The Rangers have had the same basic look since the 1940s.  If they are to have an alternate, it should compliment that legacy, not clash with it.

It's not just the NYR but the ugly modern lettering of it, plus the silver and the horribly updated primary logo. It never really worked for the Rangers.

5 minutes ago, the admiral said:

It's not just the NYR but the ugly modern lettering of it, plus the silver and the horribly updated primary logo. 

Oh, how did I possibly forget the updated primary?

148.gif

That wouldn’t even have been good for a new team at the time, and it was downright insulting to the Rangers. 

Blocked it from my memory.  Curse you for bringing it up. ;) 

25 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That wouldn’t even have been good for a new team at the time, and it was downright insulting to the Rangers. 

I never had any issues with the Lady Liberty logo and jersey designs, but the re-worked primary is horrible. I was always bugged by how they put emphasis on the "N" in the New [y]ork and how the shield wraps around it.

The Rangers should take the lady liberty jerseys, remove the silver, make the diagonal stripes straight, put those stripes on the hem, and make that a new alternate. Their current one is too similar to their current home for my liking.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

148.gif

It reeks of the 2000s. Metallic chrome surfaces, slanted fonts, sharper edges, 3D'ing parts of the logo for the sake of 3D'ing stuff.

I can't forget this one either. Spoiler tagged, in case you want to keep it blocked from your memory. But you can click if you want...

Spoiler

162.png

22 hours ago, the admiral said:

For me, it's the affectation of "vintage blue," as if they wore navy blue in Ye Olden Days that has simply faded to royal blue since then due to low-quality dyes, detergents, or both. They do this with all their throwbacks, but the Rangers always wore a medium blue.

I think the the main reason is so that it’s markedly different from the home jersey. Apparently, not everyone is an aesthetic sleuth, and having two royal blue jerseys with similar red and white stripes is confusing and/or redundant for some.

20 hours ago, Morgo said:

The only Rangers jersey that should use Navy is the one with Lady Liberty on the front.  That being said I'm really glad they resisted the urge to use vintage white.

The vintage white baby got thrown out with the Reebok bath water, so to speak. Rejoice.

A legitimate made in Canada blank Red Wings jersey popped up on eBay. Apparently the seller has an in with them and at least one other team.

9 hours ago, jerseyjunk said:

Rangers should just go with either one of these:

10.jpg 

The navy version was a textbook example of how to do an alternate uniform right.  It didn't look like the any of the jerseys used from 1940 to present?  It's not supposed to, it's an ALTERNATE look.  I would much rather something fresh & different than a mirror image of their main look with minor striping and colour adjustments...

10 hours ago, jerseyjunk said:

Rangers should just go with either one of these:

10.jpg 

Maybe I'm not allowed to say or think this, but I'm a die hard Islanders fan and the blue liberty jersey is my favorite jersey of all time. I love it.

Yeah, you would.  Personally, I love it when the Chicago Bears look as silly as possible. :P 

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

148.gif

This logo was the worst thing to come out of an otherwise great alternative set. I loved the Liberty logo and would welcome a return as an alternative. 

I wouldn’t necessarily be opposed to a Lady Liberty logo; I’ve never loved their shield.  But they’d probably be better off reworking it to get rid of the “NYR” in the cant-you-see-how-edgy-I-am pointy font.  Either the full name of the team or leave it off altogether. 

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

The navy version was a textbook example of how to do an alternate uniform right.  It didn't look like the any of the jerseys used from 1940 to present?  It's not supposed to, it's an ALTERNATE look.  I would much rather something fresh & different than a mirror image of their main look with minor striping and colour adjustments...

Totally agree. At least the Wolfpack used these as a home and road set. 

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I wouldn’t necessarily be opposed to a Lady Liberty logo; I’ve never loved their shield.  But they’d probably be better off reworking it to get rid of the “NYR” in the cant-you-see-how-edgy-I-am pointy font.  Either the full name of the team or leave it off altogether. 

I think they made it pointy so it would fit in with the statue imagery, not to be "edgy."