NHL 2017-18

Bmac

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Oh, come now. That’s just silly.   

Unless you can provide any evidence that the NHL intended the Senators to return after a set amount of time, there’s no comparison.  For both the Rams and Browns, the suspension of play was a limited duration, announced contemporaneously, and the team began play again at the first opportunity.  

I agree that equating the Rams' and Senators' situations is silly, for the reasons I mentioned. I merely pointed out that, if one were going to distort the concept of "consistency" beyond all rational bounds, then that's the invalid comparison that one would get.

But there's no way to get to the Browns when discussing the Rams' brief hiatus.  The Rams' decision was an emergency measure announced at the time it happened. By contrast, the decisions regarding the Browns constituted a Plan B that arose purely from expediency.

The Browns upon their move fully intended to operate in Baltimore as the Baltimore Browns. Modell and others (such as the Maryland governor) uttered this name many times in the days immediately after the move was announced.  Only after the spectre of legal challenges arose did the NFL decide to appease the would-be litigants by playing a bizarre game of "let's pretend" with the facts of history, in the form of the supposed temporary deactivation of the Browns' franchise and the declaration that the Baltimore team would be considered an expansion team with no history.

And, of course, the Rams' one-year break did not involve the ahistorical transfer of records from one team to another.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no problem with the Senators observing the history of the original Senators in their arena and media guides. Doesn't really affect anything, seems to make people happy.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Further complicating matters of franchise lineage is that the Vancouver Canucks and Oakland Seals operated as professional teams outside the NHL and, at least in the case of the Seals, migrated most of their roster into the NHL with some supplementation from expansion draft. Same with the WHA, obviously, though I think officially the league is a butthead about the WHA and says the Oilers franchise began in 1979. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 12/9/2017 at 11:15 AM, CRichardson said:

I know I'm in the minority about this but I've never liked the heritage jerseys. They aren't the same franchise!

I suppose it depends on whether, philosophically, you consider a sports team to be nothing more than a business wholly owned by a single person or small group, or a civic entity with a history “owned” by the city/region and its supporters.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Count me in as a rube that is all for a team's history and cuture staying within the confines of the area in which it played. I also say "we won/lost last night" when talking about the games.

The Senators should absolutely use the old stuff, hang banners for the old team, etc. The whole idea is to satisfy their fans in Ottawa. The heritage jerseys are good (though I personally prefer the modern 2D centurion to any of their other crests.)

25 minutes ago, ldconcepts said:

Interesting...opens up a lot of discussion on this board about the O6 going down this path. I'm curious to see what the Wings wear. Wonder if they could do something (i'm sure not) outside the box, like incorporating purple to go along with the octopus logo. It's one of the only things synonymous with the Wings outside the winged wheel. Of course you can go the path of the Cougars, I suppose.

What a great opportunity to bring some unusual aesthetics into the league. 

Do the Golden Knights go...Golden?

Kings bring back purple? (One can hope!).

I'd love for teams to totally surprise us like the Sharks going retro and the Canes donning some Whalers duds. :) 

32 minutes ago, ldconcepts said:

Hopefully adidas gives all 31 teams Statement and City uniforms in 2019-20.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Considering Detroit, Montreal, and New Jersey have never had an alternate, this is interesting news.  Detroit and Montreal will probably be a vintage jersey, if the news is indeed true.  Will New Jersey go with their original set or come up with something new? 

One thing, though.  If Anaheim is supposed to be changing their jerseys next year, would they come out with a third, too?  I don't remember any team that changed their look also came out with an alternate jersey at the same time.

2 minutes ago, M4One said:

Considering Detroit, Montreal, and New Jersey have never had an alternate, this is interesting news.  Detroit and Montreal will probably be a vintage jersey, if the news is indeed true.  Will New Jersey go with their original set or come up with something new? 

One thing, though.  If Anaheim is supposed to be changing their jerseys next year, would they come out with a third, too?  I don't remember any team that changed their look also came out with an alternate jersey at the same time.

Buffalo got a new set in 2010, complete with alternate "Buffalo" jersey.

23 hours ago, M4One said:

Each of those teams have worn throwbacks on a regular basis, so that'll probably be how they do a 3rd.

It'd be funny if the Devils' throwback is the same jersey as today just with the hem striping.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, pepis21 said:

In adidas nomenclature these will be called Stretch and Pride uniforms just like in NBA :)

Excellent point...adidas, after all.

Archived