NHL 2017-18

Bmac

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Tracy Jordan said:

Has anybody here ever gone to a Winter Classic or Stadium series game before? What's it like sitting so far away from the rink? It's definitely a beautiful spectacle to watch on television.

I went to one of the college games at Fenway (which had the same layout as the winter classic) and sat in center field. It was absolutely terrible, you couldn't see anything. That being said, Fenway is pretty flat, so maybe upper deck seats in other stadiums would be better.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

I went to Ducks/Kings in Dodger Stadium. It is absolutely not about being able to see the game haha. Like we probably got the best seats you could to actually watch game action, but it is entirely about the experience and the atmosphere.

Like if you've never been and you can afford to go, I'd say you should go (especially depending on the venue, and I'm sure the New Year's Day-ness of the Winter Classic is an entirely different and special animal if you're there). But once you've gone, you understand the pros and cons of the whole thing and enjoy it for what it is.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

6 hours ago, Tracy Jordan said:

Has anybody here ever gone to a Winter Classic or Stadium series game before? What's it like sitting so far away from the rink? It's definitely a beautiful spectacle to watch on television.

I was at the first Winter Classic, and it was actually a good viewing experience. I was somewhere between the blue lines and higher part of lower bowl, so pretty much ideal spot. I probably wouldn't bother going to one in a baseball stadium, though. I kept thinking yesterday that it must be a terrible view from most of those seats.

8 hours ago, Tracy Jordan said:

I was at Fenway in 2010 and was sitting midway up on the third base line behind the goal when Sturm scored in OT to win it. Viewing angle was meh, but you were fairly close to the rink.

Gillette in 2016 was better viewing angle (was at the 15 yard line, so looking at the corner), but much further away from the rink.

patriotssignature.png

9 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

The setup for the Winter Classic is really cool. It's like something from WWE with the theming.

DSf7uSGXkAAih8v.jpg:large

Why are there streets in the stadium?  

It would add to the WWE look of it if the teams could skate into the rink from the scoreboard area, like it's the titantron.  

How do they enter the rink from the locker rooms?  Doesn't look like there's any direct path.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I went to last years Winter Classic in St. Louis, and the Stadium Series games in Soldier Field and in Minnesota. For the St. Louis and Minnesota games I sat high enough to be able to see the game just fine. And for the Soldier Field game in Chicago I sat down low and couldn't see anything. But it's definitely all about the atmosphere for me.

I'm a Blackhawks fan so it's been easy for me to go to an outdoor game for my team since there's so many, but I'd totally go to one if it was close enough and the Blackhawks weren't playing. If you have a chance to go to one, definitely go. If you want to see the game at all, try and sit as high as you can, but if that's not possible, just get the cheapest ticket you can and take it all in. The fan fest outside the stadium, the decorations on the field, all the sweet sweet merch. 

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Why are there streets in the stadium?  

They filled the extra space between rink and stands with bizarre "New Yorkish" set dressing. 

DSeMaq8UEAEX7Ti.jpg DSeMaq_VoAE8209.jpg DSeMaq9UEAE60e4.jpg

That could be about the dumbest thing I've ever seen.  Checker cabs are a tourist's impression of New York.  A tourist who hasn't yet been to the city.

I went to the Centennial Classic? Whatever the outdoor one was last year in Toronto.

I know it wasn't a baseball stadium but I sat in my usual corner for TFC games and still thought the rink felt far away, I can only image what it would be like in a baseball or large football stadium. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

52 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

They filled the extra space between rink and stands with bizarre "New Yorkish" set dressing. 

That could be about the dumbest thing I've ever seen.  Checker cabs are a tourist's impression of New York.  A tourist who hasn't yet been to the city.

Off topic, but I like how NYC's regulators mandate that registered taxis have to have the same paint color, regardless of operating company, unlike Philadelphia, where cabs all look different with drastically different paint schemes despite having centralized (corrupt) regulation.  I've suggested to regulators (by "suggested", I mean I tweeted something once) that they implement a similar rule, and select a unique color, like red/maroon (like Hong Kong taxis) to help build a brand, like the yellow cars are part of NYC's.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

Taxi cabs are in their death throes. They wont even be here in 10 years to worry about./ 

Disagree.  Multiple cab companies (Get-A-Cab and Freedom Taxi being the largest) in Philly have teamed up to create their own app, kindasorta like Uber, to schedule and call for cabs.  The smaller ones in the consortium are even re-painting their cars to match the larger, and taking on the GetACab brand, even though they continue to operate as separate entities.  

As roads are shrunk to create more bike lanes and the new mega-office complexes (Schuylkill Yards and 30th St. District projects) begin to rise, and (wishfull thinking) Amazon2, it'll become even more impractical to drive through the city and cabs will be even more needed than they are now, and (IMO) Uber/Lyft will be forced to play by cab rules, but a new agency will need to replace the PPA as the regulatory body.  

That's a whooooooole different discussion for another site altogether.

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2017/11/28/philadelphia-taxis-uber-lyft/

11 hours ago, Tracy Jordan said:

I went to the Pens and Caps at Heinz Field, sat in the first row of the upper deck between the blue line and goal it was far but was able to see everything. Weather wise it was miserable, it rained the entire time with temperatures around 38F.

27 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:
37 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

Taxi cabs are in their death throes. They wont even be here in 10 years to worry about./ 

Disagree.  Multiple cab companies (Get-A-Cab and Freedom Taxi being the largest) in Philly have teamed up to create their own app, kindasorta like Uber, to schedule and call for cabs. 

Side note: Freedom Taxi's design evokes the 1970s Phillies road uniforms, using maroon and powder blue, and a number font that is similar to (though not exactly the same as) the Phillies' font at the time.

35223383004_fef7a31b59_h.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, and there wasn't any trash piled up on the curbs, either. Very inauthentic.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Side note: Freedom Taxi's design evokes the 1970s Phillies road uniforms, using maroon and powder blue, and a number font that is similar to (though not exactly the same as) the Phillies' font at the time.

35223383004_fef7a31b59_h.jpg

Those Freedom cars are one of the ones that are going to be re-painted to match the Get A Cab, shown here.  This is the last photos I'll post re: cabs since it's totally off topic, but just to show how absurd Philadelphia is, here's a sampling of fewer than a quarter of the different designs for taxis you'll see, leaving your average tourist to scratch their head and wonder which ones are legit and which aren't, since most don't know to check the medallion.

Here's what the Freedoms will look like soon:

getaway17n-4-web.jpg 

philadelphia-pennsylvania-usa-bph4b1.jpg 4152310.png 

PHL_Taxi_Philadelphia.jpg

It's a brief stop on the way to this becoming a NY/NJ MetroStars thread.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived