Bmac

NHL 2017-18

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, M4One said:

 

DSqAoe9V4AASzX0.jpg

 

 

DSqAoRIVAAAVSra.jpg

 

The Lightning need to either go with this shade of blue and that yellow, or more of a "volt" yellow, or go with a charcoal gray with the volt.  If any team should have "volt", it's a team that's literally named for electricity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally got to see the Fanatics and Authentic jerseys in person, and I agree with the general consensus. The Authentics are SO much better than the Fanatics garbage. Also, the half-and-half collars look even worse in person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had as close to authentic Chicago style pizza as you’ll find in Tampa.

 

I have nothing to add, but I just wanted to say it’s delicious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bless you, my son. Now come to Chicago sometime so we can show you where all the good thin crust is. And Pequod's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NoE38 said:

I finally got to see the Fanatics and Authentic jerseys in person, and I agree with the general consensus. The Authentics are SO much better than the Fanatics garbage.

Which really says a lot about how awful the Fanatics jerseys are since the Indonesian "authentics" are absolute garbage compared to the real thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh man, some Malnati's thin crust would be good on one of these cold winter nights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

midwest pizza is the best pizza, and i used to live in new york as a kid. sacrilege, i know.

 

chicago deep dish is heaven. i'm also a big big fan of that detroit style pan pizza. every time i go to chicago, which is surprisingly not too rare considering i have no real ties to the city, i go to giordano's.

 

 

 

also, i have no issues with pineapple on pizza. it's far from my favorite, but i'm not gonna fuss over it. throw whatever you want on it. one year on my birthday, i put sashimi on pizza and told my kids i was a ninja turtle. life's too short to worry about what you're allowed to put on a pizza.

 

uhhmm... hockey uniforms, too. i like pizza and hockey uniforms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Detroit pizza needs to experience a cultural moment if it hasn't already. It's a shame that "Detroit pizza" connotes the two worst national chains around, but the local specialty is my second-favorite behind Chicago-style. I want to try making it myself with some pizza dough, a glass pan, and if Jet's is any indication a cornfield's worth of canola oil, but I imagine it's hard to get that caramelization just right, and I think I might actually need a special industrial metal tray and not just a standard Pyrex pan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a 1a/1b situation with New York vs Chicago-style, and it's almost entirely dependent on mood.

 

I've had my fair share of Detroit-style, and it's pretty good. Not NY or Chicago good, but good.

 

Pizza in Ontario (I'm hesitant to say Ontario-style, it's not a style so much as a doughy mid-way between NY and Detroit) tends to get a bad rap, but Toppers, Pizza Nova, or Stobie's (London, ON only for that last one) really hold their own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stop this pizza-talk insanity. 

Had pizza last summer in Michigan up north by the mitten, and it was disgusting.

 

NY'ers would "trow" dat $hit in da trash, son!

 

It's not good. It basically resembles frozen pizza that's been overcooked. Once-chewy bread that's been overcooked. Yuck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, NYYNYR said:

Stop this pizza-talk insanity. 

Had pizza last summer in Michigan up north by the mitten, and it was disgusting.

 

NY'ers would "trow" dat $hit in da trash, son!

 

It's not good. It basically resembles frozen pizza that's been overcooked. Once-chewy bread that's been overcooked. Yuck. 

 

These kinds of responses are the worst in these discussions. People that advocate that you can only get good pizza from one town/area/whatever don't truly love pizza, they love being smug.

 

Pizza is delicious. Celebrate it, stop being a negative fool when deep dish and thin crust and everything in between is a blessing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

It's a 1a/1b situation with New York vs Chicago-style, and it's almost entirely dependent on mood.

 

I've had my fair share of Detroit-style, and it's pretty good. Not NY or Chicago good, but good.

 

Pizza in Ontario (I'm hesitant to say Ontario-style, it's not a style so much as a doughy mid-way between NY and Detroit) tends to get a bad rap, but Toppers, Pizza Nova, or Stobie's (London, ON only for that last one) really hold their own.

A million times yes! 

 

I used to visit London a lot (friends who went to university there) and no trip would be complete without a slice from Stobie's.

.......they are the king of the big slice after all ;)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

 

These kinds of responses are the worst in these discussions. People that advocate that you can only get good pizza from one town/area/whatever don't truly love pizza, they love being smug.

 

Pizza is delicious. Celebrate it, stop being a negative fool when deep dish and thin crust and everything in between is a blessing.

Can we at least say that NY Neapolitan pizza:Chicago Blackhawks sweater as Midwest pizza:Ottawa Senators jersey?

 

Gotta have standards, my friend. Gotta be able to discern great from good to average. We don't treat all jerseys as something to celebrate, do we? They're all National Hockey League sweaters, after all...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NYYNYR said:

Can we at least say that NY Neapolitan pizza:Chicago Blackhawks sweater as Midwest pizza:Ottawa Senators jersey?

 

Gotta have standards, my friend. Gotta be able to discern great from good to average. We don't treat all jerseys as something to celebrate, do we? They're all National Hockey League sweaters, after all...

 

There is a distinction between "having standards"/preferring different qualities of pizza and simply :censored:ting on pizza you think is inferior. I've had high quality midwest pizza and I've had mediocre pizza in New York, sweeping statements are pointless. In fact, my favorite pizza is still from my hometown in Akron even though I live in New York.

 

Because, much like jerseys, it's still subjective. Not everyone likes the Blackhawks jerseys, even if it's the popular choice. Hell, there's a difference between an authentic Blackhawks jersey and a jersey from Aliexpress too.

 

The thing is, I think it's fine for you to have a strong opinion on pizza, I just feel like a lot of people treat their food opinions as if they are facts when in reality you're just not enjoying something other people like. So the regionalism/smugness is just aggravating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mr.negative15 said:

A million times yes! 

 

I used to visit London a lot (friends who went to university there) and no trip would be complete without a slice from Stobie's.

.......they are the king of the big slice after all ;)  

Stobie’s is truly amazing! 

It was great when I was going to school because they had opened a second location less than a block away from my building, and right across the street from my favourite bar/hangout spot. 

No wonder I gained a lot of weight in uni :blush: 

 

1 hour ago, -Akronite- said:

 

These kinds of responses are the worst in these discussions. People that advocate that you can only get good pizza from one town/area/whatever don't truly love pizza, they love being smug.

 

Pizza is delicious. Celebrate it, stop being a negative fool when deep dish and thin crust and everything in between is a blessing.

Amen. 

 

The only thing I’ll add is that St. Louis-style is the lone exception. For it is an abomination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

 

There is a distinction between "having standards"/preferring different qualities of pizza and simply :censored:ting on pizza you think is inferior. I've had high quality midwest pizza and I've had mediocre pizza in New York, sweeping statements are pointless. In fact, my favorite pizza is still from my hometown in Akron even though I live in New York.

 

Because, much like jerseys, it's still subjective. Not everyone likes the Blackhawks jerseys, even if it's the popular choice. Hell, there's a difference between an authentic Blackhawks jersey and a jersey from Aliexpress too.

 

The thing is, I think it's fine for you to have a strong opinion on pizza, I just feel like a lot of people treat their food opinions as if they are facts when in reality you're just not enjoying something other people like. So the regionalism/smugness is just aggravating.

Akronite, since you're in NY, if I give you a pizza recommendation in the 5 boroughs, will you take me up on it?

 

Joe & Pat's in my old stomping ground of Staten Island. If it's not your favorite pie around, I'll PayPal you the money you shelled out. Deal? I'd love to know what you think!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2018 at 2:10 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

I don't think I've ever eaten a slice of pizza without folding it.  How else can you eat one with only one hand, unless it's crispy AF?

 

Answer: you eat it with two hands.  I don't get why you'd need to eat pizza with one hand.  Sit down and use both hands like a civilised human being.  

 

 

 

3 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

These kinds of responses are the worst in these discussions. People that advocate that you can only get good pizza from one town/area/whatever don't truly love pizza, they love being smug.

 

Pizza is delicious. Celebrate it, stop being a negative fool when deep dish and thin crust and everything in between is a blessing.

 

It's cute when people from outside the New York area think that they have pizza. 

I kid.  I agree that we should celebrate the diversity of pizza.  I have enjoyed Chicago pizza on occasion; and, if I hadn't given up pizza along with many other things almost seven years ago, I am sure that I would try Detroit pizza.  (But this diversity has limits: so-called "Hawaiian pizza" I'd use only as rat bait -- even though the rats might be too smart to eat it.)

Still, we should be clear that pizza by its nature is a New York food; it was invented here and is our native dish.  The food that we now know as pizza was based on a Neapolitan dish, which itself had roots in ancient Greek cuisine.  But the New York dish has become the dominant style, and has been imported around the world -- even back to Napoli and the rest of Italy.  So, while you can say "Chicago pizza" or "Detroit pizza" or whatever else, you never need to say "New York pizza", because the mere word "pizza", unmodified, means "New York pizza".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NYYNYR said:

Can we at least say that NY Neapolitan pizza:Chicago Blackhawks sweater as Midwest pizza:Ottawa Senators jersey?

 

Jesus Christ, use the double-colon and space properly when you're doing analogies, I thought you were having a stroke or doing a dfwabel impression.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, the admiral said:

 

Jesus Christ, use the double-colon and space properly when you're doing analogies, I thought you were having a stroke or doing a dfwabel impression.

LOL, Admiral, I'm glad you were concerned for my well-being. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now