NHL 2017-18

Bmac

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks to be a child size and located in a TJ Maxx/Marshalls type of store, not sure that will be completely accurate to how the jersey will look.  It could very well be what it will look like, but it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't.

Edit: Read the actual tweet, jersey found in a local sporting goods store so could be more legit than I initially thought.

33 minutes ago, TheGoldenTriangle said:

Ew, why are they using the “Caps” logo on there? Nicknames of team names shouldn’t be on the uniforms, they should be used in chants and other merchandise, not official uniforms.

Case in point: the horrendous and I’ll fated Sens jersey that came out of Ottawa a while back. 

My hope is that this is just a children’s jersey and not intended to be a replica. If executed properly I could actually see a whole series of children’s jerseys using some shortened version of the teams’ names.

6 hours ago, Brass said:

IIRC, the reason they changed it after the 2004-05 lockout was because the new logo needed to be symbolic of the "upward trend" that the NHL was on.

Or some dumb :censored: like that.

That's exactly what it was. It still looks wrong to me, and those little notches on the letters look dumb too. League logos should be simple (current NFL, NBA) or left alone (previous NFL, NBA).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

48 minutes ago, the admiral said:

That's exactly what it was. It still looks wrong to me, and those little notches on the letters look dumb too. League logos should be simple (current NFL, NBA) or left alone (previous NFL, NBA).

Yeah, the serifs (the little fins) haven't aged very gracefully. Between them, the gradient, and the key lines there are a lot of superfluous elements to the logo that make it a poor rebrand. 

Ironically, the NFL logo is a great example of a well thought out and executed rebrand:

Old logo (used until 2007):

4710.gif

New Logo (2008 to Present)

dwuw5lojnwsj12vfe0hfa6z47.gif 

While I miss the old typography (such much character!), the rendering of the football is a major improvement along with reducing the number of stars. The NFL logo benefited from having a number of elements that could be refined. The NHL logo has always been very simple, and as such there really isn't much that can be refined. It's like trying to improve on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Sure, you can add more elements to it, but all they really contribute is novelty...and sooner or later you just want to go back to the unadulterated original.

I would have tried to keep the swash of the L in the new logo since that's all you really notice is missing from the last one. Everything else is better.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

13 hours ago, Thaumatrope said:

Yeah, the serifs (the little fins) haven't aged very gracefully. Between them, the gradient, and the key lines there are a lot of superfluous elements to the logo that make it a poor rebrand. 

Ironically, the NFL logo is a great example of a well thought out and executed rebrand:

Old logo (used until 2007):

New Logo (2008 to Present)

dwuw5lojnwsj12vfe0hfa6z47.gif 

While I miss the old typography (such much character!), the rendering of the football is a major improvement along with reducing the number of stars. The NFL logo benefited from having a number of elements that could be refined. The NHL logo has always been very simple, and as such there really isn't much that can be refined. It's like trying to improve on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Sure, you can add more elements to it, but all they really contribute is novelty...and sooner or later you just want to go back to the unadulterated original.

12 hours ago, the admiral said:

I would have tried to keep the swash of the L in the new logo since that's all you really notice is missing from the last one. Everything else is better.

I've never been a fan of the how the bottom of the letters interact with the bottom of the shield. 

This was my quick fix a number of years ago

EHgB8ue.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

Courtesy of nostalgia mostly, this will always be the NHL logo I enjoyed.  The new one is fine, innocuous and all, but the orange crest, unusual thorny top, and diagonal type going downward reminiscent of the stick of a skater going left to right...just felt unique.  

NHL-logo.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived