NHL 2017-18

Bmac

2 hours ago, Morgo said:

I think Vancouver nailed it (the 2011 final looked fantastic) but besides those two teams, there were few true upgrades.  Only other team I can think of is Columbus and that's only because their previous set was terrible.  The Sharks could have been put in this category if they passed on the front numbers and used silver instead of orange.

What killed the Vancouver set for me (and continues to jack up my blood pressure whenever I see their jerseys) is the absolutely pointless (and visually incongruous) arched VANCOUVER script. It's not part of their logo. It does nothing to further the brand. It's just there. The truly frustrating part is everything else about those uniforms (which as far as I can tell have remained largely unchanged) is rock solid. The minute they ditch the pointless text and let the orca-c stand on its own (as it should) I will happily declare it one of the best jerseys in the league.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 hour ago, Thaumatrope said:

What killed the Vancouver set for me (and continues to jack up my blood pressure whenever I see their jerseys) is the absolutely pointless (and visually incongruous) arched VANCOUVER script. It's not part of their logo. It does nothing to further the brand. It's just there. The truly frustrating part is everything else about those uniforms (which as far as I can tell have remained largely unchanged) is rock solid. The minute they ditch the pointless text and let the orca-c stand on its own (as it should) I will happily declare it one of the best jerseys in the league.

I thought the Vancouver script is officially part of the logo.  On the NHL.com and Canucks.com, the script is there.  They need to ditch the entire logo, not just the script.  Losing the script just makes it slightly more bearable, but not enough for me to get off the 'get rid of the Orca' bus.  The Canucks whole identity was pretty much copy and paste from the team's history, except for the Skate era.  It's possible the Vancouver script either came from the Millionaires or when the WHL Canucks had an arched Canucks on the front.  It's too bad the Canucks couldn't find a way to have Johnny Canuck as the primary.  Even the stick in rink, no matter what other people say, is a more classic logo than the Orca.

I don't know. While they are objectively bad from a design standpoint, there's just something that I love about basically every jersey and logo the Caps have had. I even love the White House logo. That's actually one of my favourite jerseys in Caps history. I love the metallic copper on the black base with the blue and white trim. Also love the Weagle, and although the current jerseys don't look great, there's something about them that makes them look fast and powerful on the ice. I think it's the balance of colour between the red, navy, and blue.

The problem that the Capitals had with the pre-Edge set is how inconsistent it was. The designs were different and the logos were flipped. Few teams can pull off a look where the home and road differ in anything other than color. It works for the Rangers and Canadiens, but the differences there are minor because the logos are the same. One thing that would have improved the set greatly is switching the logos on the black jersey. The Capital Building logo never worked as a primary logo. It should have stayed as a shoulder patch.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

8 hours ago, ujju2 said:

I don't know. While they are objectively bad from a design standpoint, there's just something that I love about basically every jersey and logo the Caps have had. I even love the White House logo. That's actually one of my favourite jerseys in Caps history. I love the metallic copper on the black base with the blue and white trim. Also love the Weagle, and although the current jerseys don't look great, there's something about them that makes them look fast and powerful on the ice. I think it's the balance of colour between the red, navy, and blue.

That logo features the Capitol, not the White House.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

8 hours ago, M4One said:

I thought the Vancouver script is officially part of the logo.  On the NHL.com and Canucks.com, the script is there.  They need to ditch the entire logo, not just the script.  Losing the script just makes it slightly more bearable, but not enough for me to get off the 'get rid of the Orca' bus.  The Canucks whole identity was pretty much copy and paste from the team's history, except for the Skate era.  It's possible the Vancouver script either came from the Millionaires or when the WHL Canucks had an arched Canucks on the front.  It's too bad the Canucks couldn't find a way to have Johnny Canuck as the primary.  Even the stick in rink, no matter what other people say, is a more classic logo than the Orca.

I read your post and immediately had to go to nhl.com. The fact that they've shoehorned the Vancouver text into the logo on the score tracker just infuriates me even more. I think what bothers me about the text is how completely out of place it is. The Orca logo existed on its own for close to ten years before they grafted the text onto it. What's more, "Vancouver" had never been part of any official Canucks logo up to that point in time. For that matter, the closest the team had ever come to referencing Vancouver prior to 2007 was the "flying-V" jerseys of 70s and 80s.

It just feels forced and lazy. If the organization wants to acknowledge Vancouver that's awesome, I'm all for it. But don't just slap the name of the city above your current primary and call it a day. I'm really partial to the "Johny Canuck V" for this very reason. It may not be perfect, but it recognizes Vancouver and the Canucks identity in an thoughtful and integrated way. I don't even think the Orca accomplishes this very well (even if I do like the logo from a purely aesthetic perspective). Fun fact: the Orca-C has been the primary logo for 21 years as of this season, the Flying Skate was the primary for 19, and the Skate-in-Rink lasted just eight years. This makes the Orca-C the longest running logo in the team's history. What's more, if the Canucks use the Orca-C past 2024 they will have spent the majority of their existence with that logo.

4 hours ago, Bayne said:

^ No, don't. The logo doesn't need to have green in it. It doesn't work for the logo so don't force it in.

Exactly. There are plenty of concepts floating around that show the logo with the same color scheme but without the wordmark above it and it improves the look tremendously.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

6 hours ago, Bayne said:

^ No, don't. The logo doesn't need to have green in it. It doesn't work for the logo so don't force it in.

That's because the logo doesn't work already. 

For real though I'm 99% sure they put the 'VANCOUVER' script there to sell more jerseys during the Olympics. Same reason they copy pasted the orca instead of going full circle back to the stick in rink. I know they say they're paying tribute to the WHL days but it should be 'CANUCKS' in script if that were true. 

If green doesn't work with the Orca logo then the Orca logo doesn't work with the color scheme.

The navy and white logo on top of a royal and green jersey has always looked like a cheap beer league screen printing job to me.

The script has historical precedence and after 10 years, it's become their thing.  They're also not the only team to have colours on the logo and that aren't on the jersey and vice-versa.  The Canucks look great and I think people should just be happy that they've finally stuck with something.

On 1/19/2018 at 8:20 PM, the admiral said:

I think the crest looks smaller because by the end of the old CCMs everyone was drowning in them.

True story. In the last pre-Edge season, 2006-07, Reebok took over the branding on the 6100 jerseys from CCM/Koho and made the jerseys HUGE. I bought a size 48 of one of those, because 48 was what I always wore, and I was just swimming in it. Then they switched to Edge and the marketing was all about how much smaller and lighter their revolutionary hockey technology was. Yeah, I guess if I gorge myself from 240 to 260 over the holidays and then get down to 235, I've technically lost 25 pounds, but I'm not really patting myself on the back for it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

5 hours ago, Morgo said:

The script has historical precedence and after 10 years, it's become their thing.  They're also not the only team to have colours on the logo and that aren't on the jersey and vice-versa.  The Canucks look great and I think people should just be happy that they've finally stuck with something.

Yes the script has tenuous historical precedence, but that doesn’t make it a good look in its current incarnation. Yes other teams have mismatched colours but that doesn’t mean the Canucks copypasted orca looks good on their uniforms. The Canucks identity is like a perfectly baked chocolate cake with tide pods on top. It’s one glaringly obvious flaw dragging everything down. I don’t like this idea that fans should be content with an identity just because they’ d changed enough times the fans have Stockholm syndrome.

On 1/18/2018 at 4:34 PM, hockey week said:

It might look better, but those three stripes, despite technically being a manufacturer's mark, are part of the look of the jersey.

For the first time that I know of, we have a visible difference in appearance between replica and authentic, not just a difference in quality.

That's a dangerous precedent set.

The issue is that it IS a manufacturer's mark.. Fanatics licensed the right to produce replica's of the jerseys from the NHL, but that may not crossover to the right to reproduce Adidas's mark, or sell a product carrying an Adidas trademarked design, which could cause confusion for a customer..

The bottom line is Adidas shouldn't be allowed to use its trademarks as design elements if the products can be reproduced by other manufacturers, or it should be written into their contact with the NHL that the NHL owns all design elements included on official NHL apparel.. 

On 2018-01-18 at 4:43 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Most puzzling.  

It seems clear that the outdoor games are pretty darn popular.  There are few enough of them that each one is a special event; yet there are enough of them that many teams can look towards participating.

And the uniforms that they generate have been beautiful. 

I can't imagine wanting this to stop.

I think most people would be ok with the current slate of outdoor games if we got some new blood. We don’t need Chicago playing in these things every other year. 

I really appreciate the orca but if I'm being honest, no it doesn't work with the post 2007 jersey colour switch. 

I agree that losing the script would be a solid improvement on things though.

Anyway. Had this discussion about 20 times over the last 10 years.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Archived