NHL 2017-18

Bmac

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Absolutely HATED those jerseys. The Norman $ Green $ jerseys is what I called them. The black ones were even worse. Long live the Kelly green and gold N☆.

I think they look great, especially with the thickened hem-stripes.  No they're not better than the previous N-Star set but for the debut season of Dallas-based team you could do much worse.  A black version with the updated green makes too much sense for an alternate.

Throughout the Sabres history, they've always worn a shoulder patch...

ijelljkl2xyrxbjxhdkqhkj0t.gif

8rs7u7s4fgy87ohnmbgbqt4ln.gif

o5efieeo9gu5fx81yahcxl953.gif

With that said, they really need to make this beauty the permanent secondary logo for the Sabres.

Sabres-Winter-Classic-2.jpg

Don't throw this logo to waste!

16 hours ago, the admiral said:

The "Wild NHL Hockey" secondary is bad, and the performance armpits are really really really bad. The script sweaters were the only great ones the team ever had.

The "performance armpits" weren't nearly as noticeable on the ice as they are on that template. Besides, that's more CCM's fault than the team's fault.

I suppose they could have come up with a better shoulder patch, but besides that, the overall design is sound and it makes good use of the full color scheme. And at least they had a consistent identity back then.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

15 hours ago, ColeJ said:

Not to mention the IHL-circa-1997 number font.

Unpopular opinion: the old North Stars numbers with the gigantic drop shadows looked minor-league too.

Another unpopular opinion: I actually like that old Wild number font. It pairs well with their primary logo and their wordmark.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

20 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

But the Kelly Green and the N-star looked like garbage by the end of that set’s life. The oversized drop shadows, black breezers, and thin/thick black stripe inserts and outlines were a mess. It’s no surprise that they didn’t sell well enough to justify keeping them. I don’t understand why anybody likes this mess:

modano_front.jpg

The ‘90s look (before the dark green) was honestly refreshing after the awkward BFBS bastardization of the old set. Besides, the Gunds and the Timberwolves (can’t stress the latter enough - North Stars fans should hate the Timberwolves for not letting them play at the Target Center) had screwed the franchise hard before Green got the team.

19 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Wild01.png

Even though I would still take the bastardized N☆ uniforms over Norm Green's 90's black bandwagon uniforms because the club was still a Kelly green team but I totally agree. I didn't like the Jamaican flag look. Like the Flames, the black was unnecessary. Ironically, the North Stars' beautiful look started to get ruined after their '81 Cup final appearance. In '81-'82, they replaced the yellow-trimmed green yokes on their whites with the crest while adding black trimming but the classic greens remained untouched until '88-'89.

What should have happened is like you mentioned. Ditch the black trimming and gawd-awful breezers and change the Kelly green to forest green and I would've used '78-'81(reference to the whites) template.bobbycard_82111.jpg_cf.jpg.6bca01f1435100c93c5855dce84a14bc.jpg

The non-black green and gold N-star look from their 81' Cup run was their best look. It could have used some more S T R I P I N G  C O N S I S T A N C Y, but it was much better than when they added black. (I disagree about the flames though. Their best sweaters were the set from 04'.) The Wild also could have used the roundel logo as a shoulder patch for the inaugural jerseys. That wouldn't have looked so dated. The Wild's two best sweaters are their inaugural white, (but not the Reebok edge version,) and their current road jersey. I'd say the last two alts. that they've had are next in line... The current home would be miles better if the chest stripe wrapped all the way around. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

19 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Throughout the Sabres history, they've always worn a shoulder patch...

ijelljkl2xyrxbjxhdkqhkj0t.gif

8rs7u7s4fgy87ohnmbgbqt4ln.gif

o5efieeo9gu5fx81yahcxl953.gif

With that said, they really need to make this beauty the permanent secondary logo for the Sabres.

Sabres-Winter-Classic-2.jpg

Don't throw this logo to waste!

While I agree it needs to be full time secondary, Sabres haven't always worn one.  

Sabres came into the league with laces and no shoulder patch. When they added the shoulder patch, they dropped the laces.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

15 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

While I agree it needs to be full time secondary, Sabres haven't always worn one.  

Sabres came into the league with laces and no shoulder patch. When they added the shoulder patch, they dropped the laces.

They also don't currently have one. These would be much better shoulder patches than a smaller sabres-n-buffalo ones. 

The WC uniforms also reinforce the fact that royal blue and athletic gold is MUCH better than Navy and gold (which isn't a bad color scheme in itself) as a color scheme for the Sabres.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

They also don't currently have one. These would be much better shoulder patches than a smaller sabres-n-buffalo ones. 

The WC uniforms also reinforce the fact that royal blue and athletic gold is MUCH better than Navy and gold (which isn't a bad color scheme in itself) as a color scheme for the Sabres.

I don't mind the repeat, but I do agree. 

That or go back to the B-sword. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

The B-sword is a great concept, but I think they should try a different style for the B that fits the current identity better.

After seeing the Winter Classic uniforms on the ice again last night, I really think they need the white between the yellow and blue stripes so the colors "read" correctly. It's fine as an alt, but they can do better for a full-time set.

I'm a fan of the resurgence of chest stripes in hockey, but it is not done well here. If you're going to have the whole damn uniform be white, then the crest really should have been blue to highlight it. The white crest just kinda disappears. The blue leaf also would have been more evocative of the RCN ensign. Very thin blue stripes outlining a white chest stripe would have still allowed a blue crest, if they really needed a chest stripe.

2 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

Yeah, about that...

2018-Maple-Leafs-Stadium-Series-Uniform-

It’s a unique look, that’s for sure, and I think it looks nice for a one-off game.

I actually don't mind this in the context.

kn2015-558-018.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 2/8/2018 at 2:00 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Wild01.png

This is a great set that happens to have a few elements that haven't aged well.  If you lost the mesh-panels, replaced the nameplates & numbers with the bloc-treatment they use now and went with the standalone M, as a shoulder patch, you'd have a more balanced and consistent look.  I like what the Wild have now but this set balances their colour scheme in a much more effective way.

On 2018-02-09 at 9:19 AM, Lights Out said:

The "performance armpits" weren't nearly as noticeable on the ice as they are on that template. Besides, that's more CCM's fault than the team's fault.

Actually no, they were the team’s fault. 

CCM/Koho wasn’t like Nike or Adidas. They didn’t force one template down every team’s throats. They would come up with new stuff, but the old stuff would still be available. The choice would be down to the team. 

And in the case of the wishbone collar/“performance armpit” template the Wild used for their inaugural set? It wasn’t even a CCM/Koho template originally. It was a Nike template from the late 90s, before the NHL signed an exlusive deal with CCM/Koho. Back then? Teams would sign their own deals, and the “performance armpit”/wishbone collar was Nike’s thing. 

Then 2000 rolled around and the NHL signed exclusively with CCM/Koho. CCM/Koho inherited a few teams that used Nike’s wishbone collar/“performance armpit” template and just kept making it themselves. 

The key thing being, however, that they never forced it onto any team. It was merely an option in the CCM/Koho catalogue post-1999 that a team could choose if they wanted. The Wild chose that look. It wasn’t forced onto them by CCM. 

Hell, just look at the Wild’s expansion cousins. The Columbus Blue Jackets started play the same season and they used the “thick collar” template CCM inherited from Starter. Why? Well it’s because that’s what the Jackets chose. 

Meanwhile the Wild chose the “performance armpit” template CCM had recently inherited from Nike. 

Archived