NHL 2017-18

Bmac

3 hours ago, Chromatic said:

What I always noticed with mismatched NBA uniforms is that they look amateur. It looks like either the player threw on a jersey of his favourite team/player for a pickup game and just wore whatever shorts he brought from home, or it’s the uniform of a poor high school or something who can only afford one pair of shorts for clashing kits and just throw the other jersey on top.

Exactly.  It doesn’t look professional.   We’re used to seeing it in football and hockey, but not basketball.  Every sport develops its own aesthetic, and what works for one will not necessarily work for all. 

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Exactly.  It doesn’t look professional.   We’re used to seeing it in football and hockey, but not basketball.  Every sport develops its own aesthetic, and what works for one will not necessarily work for all. 

This is my biggest issue with Colorado’s look. While their uniform is as a whole, really nice, the black pants/gloves/helmets make it look amateur imo.

Unless you play for an elite program that provides the extra equipment, the vast majority of youth players wear black helmets gloves and pants, and minor associations with no black in the scheme creates something of a disjointed look that is very much noticeable as something an amateur team has.

USATSI_10447261.jpg

That’s a nice jersey, but the extreme lack of black in the sweater and socks, with the completely black helmet and gloves, and pants without even team striping, just reminds me of a youth team.

12 hours ago, Chromatic said:

This is my biggest issue with Colorado’s look. While their uniform is as a whole, really nice, the black pants/gloves/helmets make it look amateur imo.

Unless you play for an elite program that provides the extra equipment, the vast majority of youth players wear black helmets gloves and pants, and minor associations with no black in the scheme creates something of a disjointed look that is very much noticeable as something an amateur team has.

USATSI_10447261.jpg

That’s a nice jersey, but the extreme lack of black in the sweater and socks, with the completely black helmet and gloves, and pants without even team striping, just reminds me of a youth team.

Agreed. The Avs should just wear burgundy breezers, gloves, and helmets and call it a day. On game cam, the black blends into the burgundy anyway with the dynamic ranges of broadcasting equipment.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Part of the problem for the Avs is that the black pants/gloves combo works really well with the road jersey that doesn't have any blue except for the logo and socks, which they really should remove.  With the update, they should have added a little more black like in the original set or drop it altogether except for in the logo.

I don't think going with burgundy pants/gloves/helmet works, either.  Blue might be a better choice.

YdQgrOg.jpg

Vm3Ck22.jpg

22 hours ago, Chromatic said:

USATSI_10447261.jpg

5 color combos usually don't work. But the Avs are one of the exceptions, imo.

I don't think the burgundy or blue shorts work.

The Avs have settled for minimal use of blue on the roads, with blue being used only on the upper collars, number trims, and socks. This is probably a very minority opinion. But when I look at the full uniforms, I don't think the burgundy and silver full arm stripes are a problem, when I see the full uniform with the collars/numbers that have just enough blue to complete the look.

A lot of teams have slightly different socks. See the St-Louis Blues. Also, see the outcry on the boards here, when the Bruins eliminated their inconsistent but traditional signature yellow socks for Pittsburgh Penguins socks...

c524ed08543f4a2195a14d08725659bb.jpg

The only solution to 'the black equipment' issue that was any good was what McCarthy proposed a while back; replacing all instances of black and blue with navy.  I still don't think that needs to happen since they've used this configuration for so long and achieved great success in it.  It's not so much that the re-colours posted above look bad, they just look so different to what were accustomed to that it's jarring.

I've said it many times and I'll say it again, the biggest issue with this set is the lack of a blue stripe on the road jersey.

1 hour ago, M4One said:

Part of the problem for the Avs is that the black pants/gloves combo works really well with the road jersey that doesn't have any blue except for the logo and socks, which they really should remove.

If you have some time, would you (or someone) mind mocking up a version with grey helmet and breezers?

3 hours ago, M4One said:

Part of the problem for the Avs is that the black pants/gloves combo works really well with the road jersey that doesn't have any blue except for the logo and socks, which they really should remove.  With the update, they should have added a little more black like in the original set or drop it altogether except for in the logo.

I don't think going with burgundy pants/gloves/helmet works, either.  Blue might be a better choice.

YdQgrOg.jpg

Vm3Ck22.jpg

What about blue pants with red helmet?

18 hours ago, Morgo said:

The only solution to 'the black equipment' issue that was any good was what McCarthy proposed a while back; replacing all instances of black and blue with navy.  I still don't think that needs to happen since they've used this configuration for so long and achieved great success in it.  It's not so much that the re-colours posted above look bad, they just look so different to what were accustomed to that it's jarring.

I've said it many times and I'll say it again, the biggest issue with this set is the lack of a blue stripe on the road jersey.

Another small thing that bothers me is that the main numbers on the home jerseys are white outlined in silver on a burgundy background, but the sleeve numbers on the roads are white outlined in blue on a burgundy background. 

The blue pants look better than black & burgundy, but they would definitely be jarring on the road considering the lack of blue on the jersey. They definitely should have added blue sleeve piping next to the silver.

17 hours ago, _RH_ said:

If you have some time, would you (or someone) mind mocking up a version with grey helmet and breezers?

My limited photoshop skills don't allow me to make a version with grey helmet/breezers.  It wouldn't look right, anyways.  I wonder if its a limitation of the template as to why Colorado couldn't add an extra stripe or it was a choice they made.  

vU9raPE.jpg

1 hour ago, poser said:

The new logos that were released last year will be used more 

But the best (and most important news) this logo will be on a jersey next year

202ccc495075945f1ca689d9c3930b33.png

"In a special surprise appearance"

Oh sweet. Probably throwbacks in warmups for a mid-January game.  

and

"I really like that S in that logo..." you know, the S for San.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 2/15/2018 at 2:34 PM, M4One said:

YdQgrOg.jpg

Vm3Ck22.jpg

I like the maroon helmet/pants combo the best. any is better than black.

On 2/15/2018 at 5:34 PM, M4One said:

Vm3Ck22.jpg

The issue with this one is that now it goes from 5 colors to 6. The puck in the crest and the black circles on the arm patches would have to be navy blue as well. If the issue was too many colors, this wouldn't help. The concept looks decent enough. But the inclusion of navy also sets the remaining colors off a bit, the burgundy would look darker, the blues could appear as if one of the shades got washed up. Maybe it's just personal preference. But I'm just not a fan of how the new colors would clash with each other.

On 2/15/2018 at 5:34 PM, M4One said:

YdQgrOg.jpg

This combo just doesn't work, imo.

Archived