NHL 2017-18

Bmac

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Scratcher said:

There are some rumors (reddit r/canucks) that the Canucks would bring back the Stick-and-Rink alternates next season

I’m not opposed, but I’d I hope they fix the striping at the very least. The generic 3 stripes with the thin border on the green were a big downgrade from their usual pattern. The blue muddies up the green so that from a distance they look like Leaf jerseys.

18 hours ago, insert name said:

If the Capitals do win tonight, I only hate that they're gonna win in their current set. It's such a bad uniform. 

Easily the ugliest uniform in the NHL.

It really is a shame that the Caps had to win in their worst possible look.

The white isn't as good as the red. The adidas version is worse than the Reebok version. And the whole thing is worse than the slate blue/gold and original throwbacks.

Ah, well.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

5 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

The adidas version is worse than the Reebok version.

I disagree.  The piping and sleeve-to-front panels are now straight making it look more like a hockey uniform instead of a wonky, RBK template.  The shoulder patches are also able to breathe more since the piping doesn't curve into the top of the collar.  The shorter side panels also make the primary logo feel less boxed in.

fclEo0l.png

QLOUUdk.png

The bronze and blue era was the best though.

I can still clearly remember the initial release of the Reebok Edge jerseys on this board and how much people almost unanimously lost their :censored: over how amazing the Caps jerseys were at the time.  It's funny to see how universally hated they seem just 10 years later.  

zzPEfBm.png

3 minutes ago, steve61 said:

I can still clearly remember the initial release of the Reebok Edge jerseys on this board and how much people almost unanimously lost their :censored: over how amazing the Caps jerseys were at the time.

They did?  I remember the Capital's Edge jerseys being verbally annihilated on here after having the unfortunate distinction of following the Bruins and their now classic upgrade.

14 minutes ago, Morgo said:

They did?  I remember the Capital's Edge jerseys being verbally annihilated on here after having the unfortunate distinction of following the Bruins and their now classic upgrade.

I'm sure the archives still exist but honestly don't care enough to go searching.  If I'm off I'll be the first to admit it but I remember the Caps being one of the earlier more positive releases.  Habs and Bruins had the best reactions mostly because Montreal didn't go with the rumored half stripes that everyone feared.  

zzPEfBm.png

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

I disagree.  The piping and sleeve-to-front panels are now straight making it look more like a hockey uniform instead of a wonky, RBK template.  The shoulder patches are also able to breathe more since the piping doesn't curve into the top of the collar.  The shorter side panels also make the primary logo feel less boxed in.

fclEo0l.png

QLOUUdk.png

The bronze and blue era was the best though.

When you say that shoulder patches need to breathe, what do you mean by that?

50 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

When you say that shoulder patches need to breathe, what do you mean by that?

I mean that it needs more space around it.  The piping is too close to it in the Edge version.

I think the Caps' jersey is fine. Not a classic uniform, but its not the ugliest in the league. That goes to Nashville, Calgary, San Jose or (I know its very unpopular) Winnipeg.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On 6/7/2018 at 6:17 PM, Scratcher said:

There are some rumors (reddit r/canucks) that the Canucks would bring back the Stick-and-Rink alternates next season

On 6/7/2018 at 6:39 PM, randyc said:

I'd be 100% okay with the stick-in-rink logo as the 3rd again, however, I'd really like it to be on a green jersey.

On 6/7/2018 at 6:40 PM, Chromatic said:

I’m not opposed, but I’d I hope they fix the striping at the very least. The generic 3 stripes with the thin border on the green were a big downgrade from their usual pattern. The blue muddies up the green so that from a distance they look like Leaf jerseys.

I feel it's time to give Johnny Canuck his due. Otherwise, go back to the original Stick In Rink but have the white C inner border from the Nike-look-a-like updated version. 

20170329_123918.thumb.jpg.3ae831c721a4e04815182723f04e35c9.jpg

19 hours ago, steve61 said:

I'm sure the archives still exist but honestly don't care enough to go searching.  If I'm off I'll be the first to admit it but I remember the Caps being one of the earlier more positive releases.  Habs and Bruins had the best reactions mostly because Montreal didn't go with the rumored half stripes that everyone feared.  

I think it was mixed, because it returned the Caps to "their colors," and they were one of the league's many offenders at the time of wearing a completely non-matching former alternate jersey as their home primary. (Some teams have learned since then; other teams are the Minnesota Wild.) And that black jersey was atrocious. Once we got a good look at the Edge redesign, though, I think the Caps were up for their fair share of criticism, and rightfully so. I still don't understand the sleeve design.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The fix the Canucks need to make is so simple it's maddening.  Take the logos from their Reebok alternate and put them on the current home and away template.  The Canucks are never going to have the perfect logo (that includes the full-bodied cartoon of Johnny Canuck) so give the team something with historical precedence that compliments the retro striping while eliminating the colour discrepancy of the Orca.  You'd have Johnny on the shoulders so no one could accuse them of not representing their name-sake.  It's win-win.

stKV6A1.jpg

Possible minority opinion: I'm happy the Capitals won the Cup wearing the best look they've ever had. I would have hated seeing them raise Stanley in their outdated throwbacks. None of their previous looks are ugly. But they are all outdated by 2018 standards. Their now championship logo, it's the right logo to use as a title holder.

Vintage is fun. But there are limits to things. This look contains just the right amount of traditional elements mixed with modernized features.

This look is beautiful...

backstrom-capitals-ftr0060718-getty_ff3n

Archived