NHL 2017-18

Bmac

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Morgo said:

The fix the Canucks need to make is so simple it's maddening.  Take the logos from their Reebok alternate and put them on the current home and away template.  The Canucks are never going to have the perfect logo (that includes the full-bodied cartoon of Johnny Canuck) so give the team something with historical precedence that compliments the retro striping while eliminating the colour discrepancy of the Orca.  You'd have Johnny on the shoulders so no one could accuse them of not representing their name-sake.  It's win-win.

stKV6A1.jpg

This is exactly what they need to do. The only suggestion I'd make would be having the black skate as the third. It would shut up all the people waxing nostalgia over going back to those jerseys. The whole fanbase gets to have their cake and eat it.

9 hours ago, Morgo said:

stKV6A1.jpg

God that's boring. The modernised stick and rink looks like a cartoonish version of the classic one and the V head logo is so bland it's embarrassing. At least the Orca looks like a proper profession team crest.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

40 minutes ago, Bayne said:

God that's boring. The modernised stick and rink looks like a cartoonish version of the classic one and the V head logo is so bland it's embarrassing. At least the Orca looks like a proper profession team crest.

Proper professional team crest? It looks like the logo of a jr B lacrosse team called the “Canuxx” that was both founded and folded in the mid 90s. The stick and rink looks like a classic logo that’s been modified to fit it’s era, like so many other logos that are beloved here. And calling a logo ‘bland’ is just a meaningless buzzword.

2 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Proper professional team crest? It looks like the logo of a jr B lacrosse team called the “Canuxx” that was both founded and folded in the mid 90s. The stick and rink looks like a classic logo that’s been modified to fit it’s era, like so many other logos that are beloved here. And calling a logo ‘bland’ is just a meaningless buzzword.

Either stick-in-rink, to me, is the equivalent of the Indians' block C... there's no "there" there. It baffles me that so many people want it as the crest full-time.

14 hours ago, Morgo said:

The fix the Canucks need to make is so simple it's maddening.  Take the logos from their Reebok alternate and put them on the current home and away template.  The Canucks are never going to have the perfect logo (that includes the full-bodied cartoon of Johnny Canuck) so give the team something with historical precedence that compliments the retro striping while eliminating the colour discrepancy of the Orca.  You'd have Johnny on the shoulders so no one could accuse them of not representing their name-sake.  It's win-win.

stKV6A1.jpg

That looks great. Green added to the collar makes a big difference. However, the crooked and cartoony stick element needs to be levelled and more realistic. The full-bodied Johnny Canuck should be on the shoulders and not the Vachon Cakes-styled Johnny V-Head. 

20170329_123918.thumb.jpg.3ae831c721a4e04815182723f04e35c9.jpg

7 hours ago, Chromatic said:

This is exactly what they need to do. The only suggestion I'd make would be having the black skate as the third. It would shut up all the people waxing nostalgia over going back to those jerseys. The whole fanbase gets to have their cake and eat it.

I would use the Utica Comets' third jersey template with the full-bodied JC but a slightly larger version compared to what was on the green fashion jerseys from 3 years ago.

The '94 black Skate jersey can be used for 3-4 throwback nights per season. A recoloured JC and SIR could be shoulder patches so it connect a very popular jersey to the current brand.

8 hours ago, Bayne said:

God that's boring. The modernised stick and rink looks like a cartoonish version of the classic one and the V head logo is so bland it's embarrassing. At least the Orca looks like a proper profession team crest.

I'll preface this by saying I'm a fan of the Orca.  If the Canucks never changed their jerseys again, they'd still have a top 5 look based on the colours alone.  I don't expect many people to agree with this assessment but that's how I feel.

That being said, you have to look to the current trends of NHL logos.  Simple, bold and retro seem to be the characteristics leading the way and the modernized stick and rink certainly fits the bill.  It's also such a much better fit with the traditional striping and colour scheme.  I might get flamed for saying this but if a "C" and an "H" can be hailed as one of the all time great hockey logos, a hockey stick and rink forming a "C" can at least serve as another teams primary.

2 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

However, the crooked and cartoony stick element needs to be levelled and more realistic.

I see your point but the crooked and incomplete stick is the only thing making the it look like a "C."

52 minutes ago, ujju2 said:

All I really want for the Caps is a navy third with the weagle, and maybe replace the script with the weagle on the primary home and away.

The issue with the Weagle is that because it’s so blue-heavy, it doesn’t hold up great on a blue jersey. I think it would need a pretty serious redesign to work well on blue.

44 minutes ago, Morgo said:

I'll preface this by saying I'm a fan of the Orca.  If the Canucks never changed their jerseys again, they'd still have a top 5 look based on the colours alone.  I don't expect many people to agree with this assessment but that's how I feel.

That being said, you have to look to the current trends of NHL logos.  Simple, bold and retro seem to be the characteristics leading the way and the modernized stick and rink certainly fits the bill.  It's also such a much better fit with the traditional striping and colour scheme.  I might get flamed for saying this but if a "C" and an "H" can be hailed as one of the all time great hockey logos, a hockey stick and rink forming a "C" can at least serve as another teams primary.

I see your point but the crooked and incomplete stick is the only thing making the it look like a "C."

This is what I’ve always disliked about the stick-in-rink logo. It’s pretty clearly both of those things, but the C leaves something to be desired. It was a huge stretch on the original, better on the current, but still not clear to a first time viewer, to whom it basically looks like a stick in a box.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The Weagle doesn't work on navy blue, but works on white and red, so maybe it should be on their white and red sweaters instead of the "capilals" script that was bad enough the first time around.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

23 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Weagle doesn't work on navy blue, but works on white and red, so maybe it should be on their white and red sweaters instead of the "capilals" script that was bad enough the first time around.

That’s an option. Personally, I prefer lettering over the Weagle because it’s signature and quirky, I just think it needs to be different lettering that’s more timeless and evocative of DC.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

19 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Possible minority opinion: I'm happy the Capitals won the Cup wearing the best look they've ever had. I would have hated seeing them raise Stanley in their outdated throwbacks. None of their previous looks are ugly. But they are all outdated by 2018 standards. Their now championship logo, it's the right logo to use as a title holder.

Vintage is fun. But there are limits to things. This look contains just the right amount of traditional elements mixed with modernized features.

This look is beautiful...

backstrom-capitals-ftr0060718-getty_ff3n

This is probably the best of the more Reebokified jerseys from the switchover in 2007. Mostly because the piping is thicker and looks like an actual jersey stripe when next to the wider sleeve stripe. The shade of red really pops nicely against the white and navy. 

4 hours ago, Morgo said:

Morgo, it's the white inner border that makes the "C". That can still be accomplished with a levelled and realistic stick as my concept shows.

10 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Either stick-in-rink, to me, is the equivalent of the Indians' block C... there's no "there" there. It baffles me that so many people want it as the crest full-time.

It's because the Orca sucks.  I'll admit that the stick in rink isn't the greatest logo out there.  It's not bad, but I wouldn't put it up there with some of the more iconic logos like the Blackhawks and Red Wings.  So, without a truly great logo to fall back to, it becomes the default go to for those against the Orca since a full body Johnny Canuck might also seem strange on a jersey.  The V head looks weird, too, so I wouldn't use that a primary logo.  I don't really even want it as a shoulder logo.

1 hour ago, Prince Harry said:

This is probably the best of the more Reebokified jerseys from the switchover in 2007. Mostly because the piping is thicker and looks like an actual jersey stripe when next to the wider sleeve stripe. The shade of red really pops nicely against the white and navy. 

I prefer the Reebok version.  I hate that the blue trim doesn't connect to the collar.  That's just plain dumb.  I also think the red part connected to the blue trim flows better on the Reebok version from where it comes out at the top.  To me, it sticks out at an odd angle on the Adidas version that makes the jersey look worse than the Reebok.

11 minutes ago, M4One said:

So, without a truly great logo to fall back to, it becomes the default go to for those against the Orca since a full body Johnny Canuck might also seem strange on a jersey.

People seem to love the Penguins' logo. I don't see how the skating Johnny logo would look that much different on a sweater.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

22 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Possible minority opinion: I'm happy the Capitals won the Cup wearing the best look they've ever had. I would have hated seeing them raise Stanley in their outdated throwbacks. None of their previous looks are ugly. But they are all outdated by 2018 standards. Their now championship logo, it's the right logo to use as a title holder.

Vintage is fun. But there are limits to things. This look contains just the right amount of traditional elements mixed with modernized features.

This look is beautiful...

backstrom-capitals-ftr0060718-getty_ff3n

I actually don't mind that Caps look as much now that it's on the Adidas template - although I will never like that ugly wordmark on the front. The piping looks better than it did on the Edge template.

It also looked better on the old CCM template for the same reason:

d1b2l6ndhf2cvjhdi9gkglsht.gif

7h4D3Cl.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

30 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

People seem to love the Penguins' logo. I don't see how the skating Johnny logo would look that much different on a sweater.

I did see it on the green fashion jersey and maybe it can work.  They might have to do what the Penguins did and add something to it, whether it be a circle or triangle for Johnny to sit atop just like the penguin on the yellow triangle.  Had Pittsburgh only gone with the skating penguin alone, I think it would have looked a tad awkward.

Archived