Bmac

NHL 2017-18

Almost any Canucks logo is better than the orca.

30 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

People seem to love the Penguins' logo. I don't see how the skating Johnny logo would look that much different on a sweater.

I did see it on the green fashion jersey and maybe it can work.  They might have to do what the Penguins did and add something to it, whether it be a circle or triangle for Johnny to sit atop just like the penguin on the yellow triangle.  Had Pittsburgh only gone with the skating penguin alone, I think it would have looked a tad awkward.

Btx08y7CQAAYjmL.jpg

uniform notwithstanding, the top left looks the best here, doesn't it? logo-wise?

3 hours ago, Lights Out said:

It also looked better on the old CCM template for the same reason

Any hockey sweater worth wearing looks better on a CCM template. B)

19 minutes ago, ColeJ said:

Btx08y7CQAAYjmL.jpg

uniform notwithstanding, the top left looks the best here, doesn't it? logo-wise?

Turn the triangle into a thick V and put a blue outline where the green shirt touches the green V... all set.

None of those overly complex logo variations fit with their comparatively simple striping configurations.

Better yet, put Johnny in front of the Millionaires' V:

EvNskQg.png

That'd be a nice tribute to Vancouver hockey history.

I still like the V with just Johnny Canuck's head poking out but I can get down with that.

Remember in 2007 when people started getting really serious about making their concepts look like legit leaks?

newunimm6zs9.gif

newcanucksjersey2.jpg

newstarsblack.jpg

That was a fun goddamn summer.

45 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Turn the triangle into a thick V and put a blue outline where the green shirt touches the green V... all set.

34 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Better yet, put Johnny in front of the Millionaires' V:

EvNskQg.png

That'd be a nice tribute to Vancouver hockey history.

20151203_144213.thumb.jpg.54428ea8e738a3aa8f37a0824b1abeaf.jpg20151203_143752.thumb.jpg.ff1897e78cd593fb304bc9b481b6a130.jpg

53 minutes ago, M4One said:

It really is too bad that the Canucks passed on what became the Vancouver Giants logo.  That would have been the best choice.  The same guy who designed the Orca, designed this beauty.  https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/creator-of-canucks-logo-returns-to-his-hockey-roots/article625642/

202471a.jpg 

Uh agree to disagree. Squint at that logo and tell me what it is.

3 hours ago, Morgo said:

None of those overly complex logo variations fit with their comparatively simple striping configurations. 

please, with all respect, compare and contrast both the striping-simplicity and logo-complexity of these concepts to the current uniforms of the chicago blackhawks (or wings/wild/pens), so i can see what you are seeing.

37 minutes ago, ColeJ said:

please, with all respect, compare and contrast both the striping-simplicity and logo-complexity of these concepts to the current uniforms of the chicago blackhawks (or wings/wild/pens), so i can see what you are seeing.

Okay, I'll use the example of the Penguins logo since it has the most in common with full-bodied Johnny.  The Skating Penguin is definitely on the cartoon-ish side but it doesn't feature all the unnecessary shading, outlines, details and extra colours of the logo you're advocating.  The amount of niggling and unnecessary little details on full-bodied-johnny makes it look more like illustration than something that could serve as a primary logo.  Putting it in a roundel, in front of a triangle or in front of a "V" exacerbates this problem considerably.

VyRYTfQ.pngqql60hQ.png

The modern Stick n' Rink has its flaws but pairing it with the striping it was designed for results in a simpler, bolder and more cohesive look. The biggest complaint I hear about the current jerseys is that the Orca and Script don't fit with the striping template.  The same can be said about the four concepts below.  The overly complex logos look shoehorned on.

stKV6A1.jpg

5 hours ago, ColeJ said:

Btx08y7CQAAYjmL.jpg

3 hours ago, Point1 said:

Uh agree to disagree. Squint at that logo and tell me what it is.

Probably should get your eyes checked then.  Pretty clear to me.

5 hours ago, M4One said:

It really is too bad that the Canucks passed on what became the Vancouver Giants logo.  That would have been the best choice.  The same guy who designed the Orca, designed this beauty.  https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/creator-of-canucks-logo-returns-to-his-hockey-roots/article625642/

202471a.jpg 

Yeah, let's count the ways in which this logo has problems:

1. It's far too text-dependent, and I'm not sure how well it would translate to a text-free backing shape. Maybe turn the "G" into a "V" with a few tweaks?

2. The maple leaf has to go, obviously. But given the revisions needed to go from "G" to "V," what occupies that space in the logo?

3. How well would it translate to royal/kelly? I'm not sure it'd be nearly as smooth a transition as we'd think.

If you could solve those issues, you might have something there. It's better than "steroid Johnny," but I don't think it'd work nearly as well as full-body or head Johnny from the 2007 redesign. Heck, why not just have a Johnny in profile within a triangle or peeking out from between a "V" (e.g., the Millionaire's V). That'd be simple and hassle-free.

All horrible solutions IMO.

I think the Stick-in-the-Rink would work if tribal patterns would be sublimated into the blue (like Canada’s 2010 Olympic Hockey crest).

3 hours ago, Bayne said:

All horrible solutions IMO.

None of them are ideal, but they’re all

better than the orca :) 

43 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

None of them are ideal, but they’re all

better than the orca :) 

Na, long live the Orca!