NHL 2017-18

Bmac

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Yeah, let's count the ways in which this logo has problems:

1. It's far too text-dependent, and I'm not sure how well it would translate to a text-free backing shape. Maybe turn the "G" into a "V" with a few tweaks?

2. The maple leaf has to go, obviously. But given the revisions needed to go from "G" to "V," what occupies that space in the logo?

3. How well would it translate to royal/kelly? I'm not sure it'd be nearly as smooth a transition as we'd think.

If you could solve those issues, you might have something there. It's better than "steroid Johnny," but I don't think it'd work nearly as well as full-body or head Johnny from the 2007 redesign. Heck, why not just have a Johnny in profile within a triangle or peeking out from between a "V" (e.g., the Millionaire's V). That'd be simple and hassle-free.

I would think this isn't the exact logo that was presented to the Canucks and modifications were made for the Giants.  With the way the bottom is shaped, seems like it was to meant to be a V, then the Giants tacked on the text.

There's just something off about full body Johnny to me.  I'll take it over the Orca, though.  And, I'll take the updated stick in rink over the original, as well.

Here's a version without the text.

10634653_web1_Ronning-50th.jpg

38 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

To be fair, last time they tried this they ended up with the abomination that was the flying Vs and kicked off the whole identity crisis. The Canucks brand motto should be ‘keep it simple, stupid’. They have all the pieces of a great identity, they just can’t execute. The current striping is just fine. They have easily one of the best colour schemes in the league. The only thing holding them back is the logos, but if they get the SIR and Johnny to work right, they’re all set.

When the Canucks were truly a pea-brained organization back in the 70's, the design firm they hired that designed the Flying V didn't have any hockey/sports connections. That firm was Beyl & Boyt who were based in San Francisco during the "anything goes in the 70's era".  The sports psychologist that recommended the uniform change didn't know much about hockey or that the Canucks simply had garbage scouting. The designer who designed the Flying Skate wasn't even a hockey fan. He just knew that hockey was a fast game played on ice. All those people involved in the Canucks' first rebrand were nothing compared to the people they should be consulting with regarding their cluttering mess.

http://www.bradmcleod.com/portfolio/speed-skate-the-story-behind-the-vancouver-canucks-flying-skate-logo/

1 minute ago, VancouverFan69 said:

That firm was Beyl & Boyt who were based in liberal San Francisco.

We’re blaming liberals for the Canucks’ inability to stay with a consistent logo set and colour scheme now?

Actaully, no. We aren’t. We’re not letting a damn NHL uni thread get derailed by politics. First informal warning on the matter. Let’s not let it happen again. 

1 minute ago, Ice_Cap said:

We’re blaming liberals for the Canucks’ inability to stay with a consistent logo set and colour scheme now?

Actaully, no. We aren’t. We’re not letting a damn NHL uni thread get derailed by politics. First informal warning on the matter. Let’s not let it happen again. 

Choice of words corrected. Apologies in order.

1 hour ago, MSO94 said:

I think Vancouver needs to get rid of the word Vancouver on the logo.  If we don't know they are Vancouver then you suck at advertising.

Honestly, that’s my only gripe with the Canucks right now. The Lightning got rid of Tampa Bay on their jersey and it looked much better. 

Aside from that, I have no issue with the current Canucks set. I like the Orca logo. 

XM4KeeA.png

1 hour ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Choice of words corrected. Apologies in order.

It’s all good :) I may have been a bit jumpy. We just really don’t want politics to creep its way into things. I apologise for being a bit too quick on the proverbial draw.   

23 minutes ago, Bayne said:

Fixed by me

That isn’t particularly clever. 

The orca is the worst of the lot, from the emphasis of the nickname over the city to the overly aggressive 90s stylings to its corporate origins. 

Yeah, the stick in rink is very dull, but I’ll take it over the orca. Dull > dated, 90s corporate schlock. 

1 hour ago, M4One said:

I would think this isn't the exact logo that was presented to the Canucks and modifications were made for the Giants.  With the way the bottom is shaped, seems like it was to meant to be a V, then the Giants tacked on the text.

There's just something off about full body Johnny to me.  I'll take it over the Orca, though.  And, I'll take the updated stick in rink over the original, as well.

Here's a version without the text.

10634653_web1_Ronning-50th.jpg

Ah, that looks far better than the text version. I'd still replace the leaf with a different symbol or a pattern (plaid?).

5 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

With their 50th anniversary two seasons away, the Canucks desperately need to clean up their brand because it's a total mess. And it goes beyond ditching the corporate and irrelevant orca and cluttering arched 'VANCOUVER'. The modified Stick In Rink is ruined by the crooked Nike swoosh-like stick. The Johnny Canuck V-Head looks awkward with the head tilted back and having resemblance to the Vachon Cakes logo. The borderless Agency font is weak. Less is more. The modified SIR should have more resemblance to the original by having a levelled and realistic stick going straight across. JC should be the full body version or have some stylized background if it's the primary. Block font needs to return with green bordering and some green added to the collar. The only thing the Canucks have going for them are the blue and green.

Look at the great job VGK has done with their brand - a crest representing the team name, the shoulder patch, distinctive colours, the overall uniforms and placement of colours - and then you look at the Canucks. Absolutely NO comparison. The Canucks brand is a lazy and disorganized mess. And with sports marketing wizard Tod Leiweke joining Seattle's future NHL franchise, you just know that their brand is going to be right up there with VGK once it's unveiled. This will hurt the Canucks viability in the Pacific Northwest even more if they stay with the status quo.

Rumour from the Canucks Team Store is that the SIR will be the primary crest on the alternate for the upcoming season. Will it be the same alternate from '08-'17 or will it be the original SIR? Will the jersey be blue or green? Full body JC shoulder patch or the Vachon Cakes version? Lots of questions. The Canucks need to think long term and not just cater to demographics and trends. This is why they have always suffered an identity crisis with heated division among the fan base. They need to hire hockey experts and sports marketing people who have had success with other sports brands to help fix this identity crisis. It can't just be a guessing game within their organization. 

With all due respect, you can’t really start off with “less is more” and then advocate for them to clutter up the numbers with green trim. ?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

38 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

With all due respect, you can’t really start off with “less is more” and then advocate for them to clutter up the numbers with green trim. ?

Font bordering is not clutter. The Rangers, for example, have drop shadow bordering. Many clubs including those in other sports leagues have font bordering. Makes the uniforms stand out. Green is the Canucks' primary secondary colour and it should be utilized beyond the jersey striping. 

42 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Font bordering is not clutter. The Rangers, for example, have drop shadow bordering. Many clubs including those in other sports leagues have font bordering. Makes the uniforms stand out. Green is the Canucks' primary secondary colour and it should be utilized beyond the jersey striping. 

Well, sure, but that’s the antithesis of the phrase “less is more.”

Also, I think there’s a big disconnect in the identity if the secondary color is green, but there’s none of it in the logo. Where does dark blue fall in the color hierarchy? It’s certainly a major focus of the logo, but nowhere to be found in the uniform.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

I find it ironic that the Orca is considered "too 90's" by the same people advocating the use of full-bodied-Johnny.  He's the Canucks version of the Islander's Fisherman.

qql60hQ.pngT4KvRjZ.png

Johnny is certainly cartoony, but he doesn't look "90's" to me at all.

56 minutes ago, Morgo said:

I find it ironic that the Orca is considered "too 90's" by the same people advocating the use of full-bodied-Johnny.  He's the Canucks version of the Islander's Fisherman.

qql60hQ.png

The current Johnny Canuck is based on the original Western Hockey League version. 5564_vancouver__canucks_-primary-1953-1.png.0838556ac3f875a6aff9338290007d8e.png

1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

Johnny is certainly cartoony, but he doesn't look "90's" to me at all.

You must not think the Fisherman looks 90's then because they are rendered in the exact same manner.  Look at how the gloves are depicted.

1 hour ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The current Johnny Canuck is based on the original Western Hockey League version.

Updated in the cartoon-ish, 90's aesthetic.  Seriously, full-bodied-Johnny makes the Orca look original six.

14 hours ago, Morgo said:

You must not think the Fisherman looks 90's then because they are rendered in the exact same manner.  Look at how the gloves are depicted.

Updated in the cartoon-ish, 90's aesthetic.  Seriously, full-bodied-Johnny makes the Orca look original six.

There certainly are similarities, but plenty of differences too. Look at the faces for an example.

And for the record no, I don’t think the Islanders fisherman looks “overly 90s”. When I think of a 90s logo I think of something more along the lines of the Piston’s horse head logo or the original Panthers logo. If anything, as far as stylistically and how they’re rendered, Johnny and the fisherman remind me more of what you’d see from a modern AAA baseball club than a 90s hockey team. I don’t even think the fisherman is as terrible everyone makes it out to be. It’s not great, but it’s not an abomination like the Flying V. It just happens to be associated with fish sticks. Stop with the “if you feel this way about X you MUST feel this way about Y” stuff.

20 hours ago, Chromatic said:

There certainly are similarities, but plenty of differences too. Look at the faces for an example.

That's another issue I have with full-bodied-Johnny.  The face only uses two colours and is rendered in a restrained manner while the clothing is littered with all sorts of unnecessary lines and shading.  It's like the face was designed for the "Vachon" logo and got shoehorned on a full bodied version as an afterthought.

21 hours ago, Morgo said:

You must not think the Fisherman looks 90's then because they are rendered in the exact same manner. 

And for the record no, I don’t think the Islanders fisherman looks “overly 90s”.

Stop with the “if you feel this way about X you MUST feel this way about Y” stuff.

Well, I wasn't wrong ?

On 6/11/2018 at 9:02 PM, Morgo said:

I don't think the Fisherman is wearing gloves, is he?

The real answer is that the Canucks don't have any good options. Stick in rick is the most generic, boring logo ever. Johnny Canuck is beyond overrated. Orca is kind of lame. Flying skate is my personal favorite, but that's probably because it's what they had when I was a kid, and I thought it was a planet and that seemed pretty cool. So I say the Canucks just keep throwing darts at the board and maybe one day something will stick because what they have isn't that great and nothing they've had in the past is either. 

Archived