NHL 2017-18

Bmac

On 6/10/2018 at 10:01 PM, Brass said:

Remember in 2007 when people started getting really serious about making their concepts look like legit leaks?

newunimm6zs9.gif

newcanucksjersey2.jpg

newstarsblack.jpg

That was a fun goddamn summer.

I believe someone put together a fake leak with some NHL Confidential symbol somewhere on the concept. I can't remember which one it was, though.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/11/2018 at 2:43 PM, VancouverFan69 said:

With their 50th anniversary two seasons away, the Canucks desperately need to clean up their brand because it's a total mess.

They want to use their traditional blue & green color scheme. But someone in charge does not like and does not want their main logo to be the Stick n' Rink, the Vachon V logo, nor the full body Johnny Canuck. Someone's got issues with all of their logos that would be more fitting with the classic blue/green scheme, so they opted for the 90s Orca in an odd scheme of semi-classic colors. The growling whale is a product of the late 90s/early 2000s.

50 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

The growling whale is a product of the late 90s/early 2000s.

Maybe this is where some of the disagreement comes from. I know it will probably never be forgiven for its corporate origin, but I think it's a pretty good representation of First Nations art. It has a little grimace (mostly from the lack of real eyes, I think), but it's not far off. IMO of course, but it's definitely the best logo they've ever had.

1062px-Vancouver_Canucks_Home_Logo.svg.p

victoria-138.jpg

Orca-Totem-Pole-Animalia-life.club_.jpg

I don't think it's the best logo they've ever had but I'm glad someone pointed out that it wasn't intended to jump the "agressive, 90's, Xtreme" bandwagon.  It was simply illustrated in the style of Haida art.

@Cosmic If it was intended to ressemble first nations haida art, then yeah it's a good point I can't deny.

The whale is still breaking through a giant block of ice shaped as the letter C. Possibly a little too cartoony or maybe it's something whales can do in arctic waters, in some way. Maybe there's a hidden meaning behind the design.

If you want a good example of local PNW indigenous art style incorporated into a logo well, I'd look at the Seahawks logo.

The problem with the Orca, is that it is for lack of a better term, a cluster:censored:. And that's without even touching the "colours don't match" and "a Canuck is not a whale" issues. Those are completely separate topics. There's just too much going on. It is, in my opinion, a poorly designed logo, plain and simple.

The fact that the Orca is grounded in the 'C' completely throws the logo off. The Orca is clearly supposed to be aggressive and dynamic, conveying a sense of motion from left to right. The fact that it's constrained within a 'C' ruins that equilibrium and throws off that sense of motion. It makes the Orca look like its somersaulting. Also, cutting off what is supposed to be a wide field that would constitute a sheet of ice into the narrow field of the bottom half of a 'C' just looks weird. You can't tell what part of it is supposed to be up or down or foreground or background or anything, which I think is important when you're trying to make the whale look as if its moving forward. What ends up happening is the Orca looks like its being squeezed out like a tube of toothpaste. On top of that, there are so many levels of detail and minutia, like ice shards and fins that the fact its supposed to be a 'C' is lost. When you look at the logo, there is no focal point your eye is drawn to. Is it the Orca's face? Is it the 'VANCOUVER' script? Is it the 'C'? Is it the placental ice shards where the Orca is being birthed into the horrifying void of its existence? And when you do try to look at the logo on a macro level, it becomes an ugly blob vaguely shaped like a sideways horseshoe. The macro level is hurt again by the wordmark, as it not only has to shrink the logo down to incorporate the wordmark, but you have an extra element in the logo floating in the nether above it in a completely separate space.

And as for the Stick In Rink, I agree, its not an amazing logo. But if we're being honest, if the Canucks had stuck with it since 1970 (like they should have), most of the people on here decrying it as "bland" and "boring" would call it an untouchable classic. I fail to see how its any more bland than the Canadiens, Flyers, Oilers, etc. It has more negative space than most logos, but the only missing ingredient between the Stick In Rink and other classics is time. I look at it like the original Bruins spoked 'B' or the Orioles smiling bird. The design is there, it just needs a little polish every now and then to keep it looking current.

Johnny's charming, but I think he works best as a secondary/tertiary logo.

7 hours ago, Chromatic said:

And as for the Stick In Rink, I agree, its not an amazing logo. But if we're being honest, if the Canucks had stuck with it since 1970 (like they should have), most of the people on here decrying it as "bland" and "boring" would call it an untouchable classic. I fail to see how its any more bland than the Canadiens, Flyers, Oilers, etc.

An eight-year-old can figure out that the Flyers' logo is a P for Philadelphia and has a wing on it. The Oilers' logo has a drop of oil and the lettering looks Old West. There is no semiotic value to a rectangle with a hockey stick on it. It doesn't look like a V or C. It's terrible and should have stayed in the past.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I've told this story before. The first time I ever saw the stick in rink it was on a jersey hanging in a hockey equipment store. I was maybe 10 or 11. I didn't know what team it was for or what it was supposed to be, but I literally LAUGHED OUT LOUD at the idea that a team would use that stupid logo on the front of their jersey. I've never been able to shake that first impression. It's one of the worst logos a team has ever tried to use as a primary. 

Throw a V behind Skatin' Johnny (to give him a solid base, the way the Penguins use a triangle) and you have your look for the next century. It's not hard. 

Also, the fisherman logo was not the problem with those Islanders uniforms. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

whoa whoa whoa. Those two are not the same thing at all. The BiG is recognizable for both what is, a baseball glove, and that it's supposed to be some letters. The stick in rink barely reads as an ice rink, and definitely doesn't read as a C. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

24 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

The stick in rink barely reads as an ice rink, and definitely doesn't read as a C. 

Even as a kid (back when it was still in use originally as the Canucks' logo) I could recognize that it was supposed to represent a hockey rink.  It wasn't until I was told that it was supposed to be a 'C' that I was able to recognize that.  That's a little too much of a stretch for most people to pick up on their own.

Stick In Rink -> Stick In C -> Canucks Hockey. No different from the Canadiens' CH -> Club de Hockey Canadien.

Johnny Canuck was the inspiration for the Canucks name and the lumbar industry has deep historic roots in BC.

Royal blue, Kelly green and white represent the natural beauty of Vancouver & BC.

The Canucks organization needs to focus on the 3 H's -> Heritage, History & Hockey. The SIR(without the stick being crooked), JC and the current colours are the key components to the Canucks brand. The orca, First Nations/west coast or not, was inspired by the former Orca Bay ownership group. It's a corporate and divisive logo that needs to go ASAP. 

21 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The orca, First Nations/west coast or not, was inspired by the former Orca Bay ownership group. It's a corporate and divisive logo that needs to go ASAP. 

1,000% this. I have never been a fan of the Orca for this reason. It's a "hidden in plain sight" stamp of the Orca Bay/Canucks S&E Group on the team.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

2 minutes ago, agentrygraphics said:

1,000% this. I have never been a fan of the Orca for this reason. It's a "hidden in plain sight" stamp of the Orca Bay/Canucks S&E Group on the team.

Who cares, it’s a great logo. Besides no one sees that anyway.

2 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Opinion: The orca is a great logo.

Fact: The orca was inspired by the former Orca Bay S&E ownership. 

Of all the tragedies in sports marketing, this is definitely tops.

There are orca in Vancouver waters. It's not really that egregious.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

An eight-year-old can figure out that the Flyers' logo is a P for Philadelphia and has a wing on it. The Oilers' logo has a drop of oil and the lettering looks Old West. There is no semiotic value to a rectangle with a hockey stick on it. It doesn't look like a V or C. It's terrible and should have stayed in the past.

Right, just like there’s no semiotic value to a circle with some lines extending from it. In fact, I would argue that there is no semiotic value to a shape with other shapes. You can arbitrarily dissect a logo like that at any level of analysis.

Revised-Stick-and-Rink-2008-vancouver-ca

I’m able to make out a ‘C’, a hockey rink and a hockey stick, and it looks pretty obvious to me. And again, I’m not saying this is an amazing logo, just that it’s no more ‘bland’ than most “classics”.

Simple is effective and I think forming a C with a rink and hockey stick is a hell of a lot more clever than an H inside a C.  It's bold, has historical precedence and looks great on their current template, which should never change again.  I don't get the hate.

WFhRjt2.pngU916nJn.pngkDdnFy0.png\

stKV6A1.jpg

55 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Right, just like there’s no semiotic value to a circle with some lines extending from it.

If you're talking about the Bruins, it's a B for Boston with spokes because Boston is nicknamed "The Hub of the Universe." We've known this for years, come on.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived